Help: Chauvet Obey 40 Issues

Re: Chauvet Obey 40 problem.

No, defaulting should have put it in sequence, but sometimes defaulting itself messes up. As the book says, it could take up to 30 seconds to complete the default. As for having the DMX connected, that should not be a problem. DMX only communicates in one direction: from the board to the fixture. If there is any concern with the fixture software, turning it off and then on again should reset it.
Thanks for all your help and patience. I'll work on it again. I've got new dmx lights coming in so i will try those

Thanks for all your help and patience. I'll work on it again. I've got new dmx lights coming in so i will try those

UPDATE:
I hooked up some other DMX lights, then i hooked up the Radius 2.0. Now, all the lights can be controlled. I don't get it, the radius 2.0 was not even reading the controller when connected by itself. But when i connected it in a chain, they all work together. I guess that particular light has to be connected to others for it to work in DMX

UPDATE:
I hooked up some other DMX lights, then i hooked up the Radius 2.0. Now, all the lights can be controlled. I don't get it, the radius 2.0 was not even reading the controller when connected by itself. But when i connected it in a chain, they all work together. I guess that particular light has to be connected to others for it to work in DMX

Are you using a terminator after the last device?

DMX is designed to have a terminator at the end of the chain, otherwise the signal can echo in the cable and be obscured. A single device usually will still work fine but in this case the signal may (for lack of a better analogy) be to loud to be heard. Adding devices usually loads things down a bit. In fact, there is a limit (around 32 devices) to how many can be on the chain. In any case, the last device should have a terminator.

Chauvet used to include a "DMX primer" page in their manuals, looks like they stopped doing that! It explained about terminators.
Here's an old manual for a Q-spot. The "primer" page is on 14. http://www.chauvetlighting.com/products/manuals/q-250_ug-60.pdf

Are you using a terminator after the last device?

DMX is designed to have a terminator at the end of the chain, otherwise the signal can echo in the cable and be obscured. A single device usually will still work fine but in this case the signal may (for lack of a better analogy) be to loud to be heard. Adding devices usually loads things down a bit. In fact, there is a limit (around 32 devices) to how many can be on the chain. In any case, the last device should have a terminator.

Chauvet used to include a "DMX primer" page in their manuals, looks like they stopped doing that! It explained about terminators.
Here's an old manual for a Q-spot. The "primer" page is on 14. http://www.chauvetlighting.com/products/manuals/q-250_ug-60.pdf

I when i hooked up the Radius 2.0 by itself, i tried it with and without a terminator and the light would not DMX. Once I hooked up the light in a DMX chain, all the lights, including the radius 2.0 works fine. I have not connected the terminator because i'm only running 3 lights on a chain with short cables between them. Seems to be working fine.

My, that is an odd one. The concern I would have is that even when it is working, there is a problem sleeping which may wake up. As they say with DMX problems, "It works until one day it doesn't."

There are a few things that come to mind. One is what is know as a frame-rate error. Since this is not adjustable on the Chauvets, I won't bother with all the technicals other than to say it is more common when mixing brands. One would expect products from the same brand would have that worked out, but then again, we are talking China, so who knows.

The second has to do with the fact that DMX cable works like a "transmission line." (one of the reasons you should never use microphone cable to run DMX, although some do without problem.) Because it is a transmission line, it's tuning can be altered depending on how long it is and how many fixtures are on it. Again, another reason there is a fixture and distance limit.

The DMX signal is hearty enough that these things should not matter as long as its good cable, properly terminated, and within fixture and distance limits. The fact that you have a problem indicated something is wrong with the way the DMX is being generated (board) or received (fixtures.)

Is it something to worry about? Not as much as something to keep in the back of your mind. I would try mixing up the arrangement and seeing what works and what doesn't. That way you will not be surprised at a job someday. If all your other fixtures work ok alone, then the Radius is what is compromised. If you have problems with other fixtures, the the board is what is compromised. Could be there is a certain batch of the Radius fixtures that are just out of spec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back