Help Choosing a DAC to use with a mac?

xander562

Hello all, I'm new here and this is my first thread. :) Anyways I'm looking for a digital/analog converter for my macbook pro. I was looking into the Apogee Duet after all the gushing reviews I've read about it. However as it is extremely likely that I am going to continue my interest in technical theatre I want something a bit... more. Namely MIDI support (which I believe the duet does not have). I just came across the program called QLab and it made me appreciate the usefulness of having MIDI. So far I have only looked into the Echo AudioFire series. Are these good units? I will primarily use it to drive speakers (I'm getting sick of hearing the R2D2 squeaks and squiels every time i pause my music) however I will also likely use it to record, and control MIDI devices. So what would you recommend?

(bear with me, I'm somewhat of a newb.) :oops:

Welcome to Control Booth!

There several suitable interfaces. Are looking for firewire exclusively? I use the Maudio Fastrack pro USB interface with my MacBook Pro. I am pleased with it.

Andre

While the Echo line in general has many good qualities, audio quality isn't one of them. They're notoriously "so-so" sounding at best. I haven't had experience with the firewire box in particular, but this seems like a general consensus over their entire line.

Lately I've had decent performance with a Focusrite Saffire, although it's a bit picky about bus power, so you may be safer using it with the (supplied) external PSU depending on your computer. (MacBook Pro seems fine, Mac Mini needed the external or it kept freaking out).

I try to avoid MOTU like the plague, I've had lots of driver issues over the years, and their customer service is beyond miserable, when anybody answers the line at all (they have only a couple lines going in, so you often get a busy signal or, worse, a phone that rings endlessly while they're on the line with somebody else).

--A

Users who are viewing this thread

Back