Help fixing NSI dimmer

Admitidly higher end dimmers fail but NSI is still junk. I understand that some people have to use it but that doesnt change the fact that it is junk. In fact at my school we have lighting in our gym for assemblies which is NSI and in our PAC we have ETC sensor racks.

There are thousands and thousands of NSI dimmers successfully in use. The dds6000 is a very common standard in a tree dimmer. Personally I do not like their low end non DMX upgradable line, but I have not have any real problems with the DDS line.

Sharyn

Just out of curiosity, in all this ETC v. Leviton/NSI business, where would Lepercon fall on the scale of Great to Garbage? That's what I've got--I run an Every Theatre's Console Express 24/48 to 7 Lepercon 6-dimmer packs mounted (usually) on pipes over the house, near whatever position I need 'em in. I've got single 20-amp circuits run all over the building for them--they have two plugs on them, so three dimmers share a 20-amp circuit, which works great(ish) for me, since I usually run one 500w instrument off each dimmer, and even then, in our space, I have to top 'em out at 80% lest I wash everything out completely, even gelled.

The only problems I've had with 'em are when a lightning strike hit our transformer and zorched a couple packs, sent a transient down the dmx and zorched one universe in our 24/48 board ($150 to fix that--the opto-chip in the board). No loud cooling fans, reasonable dimmer curves. To me, they're okay, but I'd like to know others' experiences with 'em.

Just out of curiosity, in all this ETC v. Leviton/NSI business, where would Lepercon fall on the scale of Great to Garbage? That's what I've got--I run an Every Theatre's Console Express 24/48 to 7 Lepercon 6-dimmer packs mounted (usually) on pipes over the house, near whatever position I need 'em in. I've got single 20-amp circuits run all over the building for them--they have two plugs on them, so three dimmers share a 20-amp circuit, which works great(ish) for me, since I usually run one 500w instrument off each dimmer, and even then, in our space, I have to top 'em out at 80% lest I wash everything out completely, even gelled.
The only problems I've had with 'em are when a lightning strike hit our transformer and zorched a couple packs, sent a transient down the dmx and zorched one universe in our 24/48 board ($150 to fix that--the opto-chip in the board). No loud cooling fans, reasonable dimmer curves. To me, they're okay, but I'd like to know others' experiences with 'em.

I think Leprechaun is probably below NSI in most people's opinions... although probably not by a lot. Leprechaun's been around a long time.

The real question to be asked is what's next after ETC and Strand... EDI maybe? The low end is cluttered with discount dimmers but what is mid-level quality? Some people here seem to agree that NSI is the answer to that question, others don't. Is there anything we can agree on as mid-level quality? EDI was definitely a big shot 20 years ago are they that far behind now?

I don't know where Lehigh Dimming falls either. They've got a very small line, but they do have some 120 dimmer full theater-style install cabinets. I haven't had any experience with their stuff, so I couldn't say, but it looks like they might come in with EDI around the upper-midrange. I have no idea where Teatronics falls either, it seems like they'd be in the midrange area with NSI, mayabe? And Dove and Lightronics also fit in somewhere right around here.

Lower-mid level: elation, AMDJ, chauvet. All of their dimmers and control boards are made by the same folks...just look at them.

Super-low end: Optmia, Eliminator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back