Vintage Lighting Help Identifying vintage light

Hello, I am no electrician or deal in this industry but I do have this vintage (what's left of it....) spotlight that I have had since I was in college (East Carolina University School of Art) that was found in a junk yard and eventually I used it to create my design work in Printmaking which earned me my Bachelor of Fine Art degree. I designed a flying machine out of it in zinc plate etchings. I was hoping someone might be able to tell me the approximate age of it and or name/technical info....etc etc.

There have always been some parts missing from it but this is the main body. I have always been curious to know more about the history of it.

Any info would be greatly appreciated! thank you! Christopher Racine [email protected]
found object for flying machine.jpg

I'm not sure it's a spotlight at all. I see no evidence of reflector, lamp socket, lens(es), yoke, color holder, and other characteristics of a theatrical luminaire. Perhaps post more pictures of the object from other angles.

I am reminded of a parody article done in Lighting Dimensions Magazine (as it used to be called) many years ago on the Steam Leko and the "bygone" era of steam powered stage lighting ;)

Have to agree with Derek that it may not be lighting related at all.

To be honest, it looks like a muffler of some sort, perhaps off a piece of farm equipment.

To be honest, it looks like a muffler of some sort, perhaps off a piece of farm equipment.

Diesel-powered lighting?

Is that a threaded hole on the side there?

Well Holy Crap....I guess the Theatre arts student back in college was wrong then when she told me it was an antique theater spot light.....but with parts missing obviously. Wish I could find her now! LOL...... that is very amazing that someone found an actual diagram of what it really is/was.....I am definitely going to keep that and print it out.....and I guess add apologies for being on the wrong place for identifying my object! But hey makes a great story huh! Have to admit though it does kinda resemble an old spotlight in some ways.

Thank you all for the help and hope it made for interesting topic to discuss :) Sincerely, Chris Racine

You may have been closer with the flying machine than you think. I believe it's a combustor liner from a turbine engine. From a GE J79 to be specific.
proxy.php
Thank YOU!!!! This is way interesting to find out. I always thought it might have been a type of industrial muffler or something but a theatre arts student told me it was an old spotlight with parts missing. Wish I could find her now to tell her she was wrong! LOL
Here is a photo of myself with one of the prints I made based on it being a flying machine. Sincerely, Chris
flying machine print chris.jpg
maiden flight detail.jpg

Damn! Who among us could have figured that out? It's an alien object.

A warm welcome to you!

ST
Thanks you and sorry I was under the wrong information that it was a spotlight all these years (since 1989!). I think the real history of it now is way cool though! I guess I could make a lamp out of it if I wanted to get creative again LOL -Chris

No need to apologize, Chris. We always love a good mystery around here, theatrical-related or not!

It really does resemble an old ellipsoidal spotlight:

And I suppose you could make a lamp out of it, but we have had some strong opinions about that in the past ;).

Last edited:
No need to apologize, Chris. We always love a good mystery around here, theatrical-related or not!

It really does resemble an old ellipsoidal spotlight:

And I suppose you could make a lamp out of it, but we have had some strong opinions about that in the past ;).

Yeah my wife may say it would have to stay in my man cave or garage as a lamp even though I think it would look kinda cool.......but maybe a Flamethrower would be a better idea....for when the zombiepocolypse comes...I bet it could belch out a huge ball of fire into an oncoming hoard! Right now its just serving as a home for spiders in my garage.

Thank YOU!!!! This is way interesting to find out. I always thought it might have been a type of industrial muffler or something but a theatre arts student told me it was an old spotlight with parts missing. Wish I could find her now to tell her she was wrong! LOL
Here is a photo of myself with one of the prints I made based on it being a flying machine. Sincerely, Chris
View attachment 10585 View attachment 10586
You are very welcome! I'm just glad some random knowledge could be of help to someone.

A bit off topic but for anyone interested; a very good explanation of this object. Pay special attention to around 7 minutes where he mentions the price for a new one!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You are very welcome! I'm just glad some random knowledge could be of help to someone.

A bit off topic but for anyone interested; a very good explanation of this object. Pay special attention to around 7 minutes where he mentions the price for a new one!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

$20,000 bucks!! maybe I should polish it up and put it on ebay! lol That was a great video thanks again :)

You may have been closer with the flying machine than you think. I believe it's a combustor liner from a turbine engine. From a GE J79 to be specific.
proxy.php
I was thinking combustion liner, but since I work with industrial applications, i was having difficulty sizing it for scale. I don't think we've made the GE J79 in quite some time; then again, my exeprience with Aircraft engines is extremely limiteed. I know we still make the LM2500's which are used in Power Gen and mechanical drive applications. Incidently, the "LM" means light mount, meaning it sits on a small frame on a concrete pad. We also have "TMs" which meas trailer mounts. Both are made with the similar engines. The difference between annular combustors and can annulus or combustion cans is quite interesting. If you think MSRP of 20K is high, you should see the industrial sized ones. I'd post a photo but would violating all sorts of policies (as I sit at my desk typing away at GE Power & Water).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back