Vintage Lighting Help me find a socket!

Uncle Buddy

Hey guys!

So there's this lamp that has been on my desk for forever now and I have no idea where it came from. It fits in nothing in our building, but it is a cool looking lamp, so I would like to power it up, put it on a dimmer and use it as a novelty desk lamp, but I would like to use a socket that fits it ( no alligator clamps, car battery clamps, etc.)

The label says it is a westinghouse 1000w 125v lamp and to burn it base down, but that's all the information I have.

Any input you guys have would be awesome, thanks!
IMG_20160926_125501726.jpg
IMG_20160926_125525398.jpg
IMG_20160926_125648599.jpg

Hey guys!

So there's this lamp that has been on my desk for forever now and I have no idea where it came from. It fits in nothing in our building, but it is a cool looking lamp, so I would like to power it up, put it on a dimmer and use it as a novelty desk lamp, but I would like to use a socket that fits it ( no alligator clamps, car battery clamps, etc.)

The label says it is a westinghouse 1000w 125v lamp and to burn it base down, but that's all the information I have.

Any input you guys have would be awesome, thanks!
View attachment 13824 View attachment 13825 View attachment 13826
Try searching Mogul bi-pin or Mogul bi-post. At one point it was a popular style in 1K, 2K, 5K and 10K fresnels.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Well darn, my search for a picture or video clip failed me. I remember a low budget or movie serial sci-fi movie in which there were a number of similar bare globes as part of the set and someone was off camera repeatedly pulsing the dimmers. My guess is they were the larger 5K or even perhaps the 10K versions.

Somewhere a lighthouse is missing its lamp........

You have a G-48 globe lamp, 1KW/125VAC, G-38 based mogul bi-post incandescent lamp from Westinghouse that I think dated from about the later 1950's thru very early 1970's due to its voltage rating. I probably have one or two in stock of another brand and lower voltage dating them older when voltage of the lamps was lower and this lamp you have would last longer but be a little more dependable - even if dimmer.
It will have been used on 6" but more likely 8" Plano Convex lighting fixture from around 1916 thru the early 1950's. Or on a special effects projector such as a scene machine of the same period as per most likely use. Little lower wattage for a scene machine but possible for a smaller space to down-lamp the projector, this will have been a spare lamp for.
Antique Bulb Collector’s Forum if it still exists will be the experts on such a lamp. Not as valuable of a lamp brand, but if new, it’s valuable. Don’s Bulbs website will buy it if needed for pennies on the dollar or you could E-Bay it. Or search the catacombs and find what it was used for if not scrapped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back