Control/Dimming Help me pick a console!

Re: Console suggestions

smartfade can run a stack, however it's really horrible to program. If you can find a real board(see if someone will sell you an express real cheap, or an old strand board) I would highly recommend it. Failing that, yes, a smartfade will probably do what you want. Smartsoft on a computer connected to the console makes it slightly more bearable, but it's still not a substitute for a real console.

I would totally disagree on this, not that its a pain to program, but that the smartfade is not a "real" board. Does it control lights? Yes. Was it developed for that purpose? Yes. Its a real board, just maybe not the most efficient in terms of programing structure. The smartfade WILL do what the OP needs, and it CAN be used. While all of us would love a bigger, better and more efficient board, its just not possible for everyone. If a smartfade ML or 2469 is what the OP can afford, it will work fine. Based on the planned use, it will be fine for that at the moment. Not tons of expandability, but in my experience, small venues dont really have tons of cash to expand a lighting rig that works very often.

...but it's still not a substitute for a real console.

I would totally disagree on this, not that its a pain to program, but that the smartfade is not a "real" board. Does it control lights? Yes. Was it developed for that purpose? Yes. Its a real board, just maybe not the most efficient in terms of programing structure. .... Not tons of expandability, but in my experience, small venues dont really have tons of cash to expand a lighting rig that works very often.

Exactly shiben.

The SmartFade line was designed specifically for smaller sized theatres, clubs, and houses of worship. It is just as real of a console as a GrandMA, or Hog. Comparing it to any other ETC console and saying that a SmartFade is not a real console is just as absurd as comparing an EOS or Ion to a GrandMA or similar and saying the EOS is not a substitute for a real console.

It wont have a ton of the more modern features, like color picking for the LEDs, so youll have to have a bit more work involved in the programing of colors, but realistically, it ought work ok... It outputs DMX, has more channels than you will need, and overall looks to be fine. I would be a bit worried about parts and whatnot though.

ok, thanks.

Now the Smartfade 2496 - does it allow you to group channels? meaning, can you selece and LED fixture and adjust its parameters or do you just have access to each channel via a fader?

I've found a used one at a great price.

The ML model is the only one that allows profiles, so unfortunately, you will have to use individual fader control. You can however use the multiple pages of memories to store looks or ... presets, so to speak.

Like I said, have a computer available to program. Once you get the hang of how to program on the SmartFade, it can go quickly and be fairly easy. There is a slight learning curve which I think turns a lot of people off to the consoles, but if you take the time needed with it, it just as good as or better any other comparable console. I think you'll like it.

The ML model is the only one that allows profiles, so unfortunately, you will have to use individual fader control. You can however use the multiple pages of memories to store looks or ... presets, so to speak.

Like I said, have a computer available to program. Once you get the hang of how to program on the SmartFade, it can go quickly and be fairly easy. There is a slight learning curve which I think turns a lot of people off to the consoles, but if you take the time needed with it, it just as good as or better any other comparable console. I think you'll like it.

Exactly. The Smartfade 'thinks' different than other consoles such as the ETC express, EOS, ION,... and therefor many operators will at first strugle with this litlle board. It is perhaps even slightly more difficult to use then comparable consoles such as the MA Lightcommander 48 or the Zero88 Jester or the ADB console range, but it has a lot more possibilities, versatility of use, and a very nice free software Smartsoft. Indeed without Smartsoft the stack isn't friendly to the end user, however the latest updates to the smartfade console software made it a lot easier to use, because of upgraded feedback on the lcd screen. So anyone complaining about the Smartfade consoles probably has only used version 1, with updates it's a fearly usable console. With powerfull options for smaller theatres, who are never going to buy tons of movers, or even conventionals. And finaly for the price of one MA LC or ADB xt you can get several ETC smartfades...

A real console, for certain people and goals: yes. And if you don't like it, just use it as a dmx board in combination with a dmx in/out dongle and Chamsys MagicQ on pc or GrandMA on pc. This gives you a Chamsys or GrandMA device with 48 direct fader controls. Combine that with a touchscreen and you have a very powerfull console. When such power is not needed, just use the usb connection and Smartsoft for easy operation.

Hey Guys,
It's almost time to purchase everything for this. And of course the budget has been cut. so now I'm looking at:
6 LED pars (4 channel)
8 Lekos
4 Frenels

So at a total of 28 channels, I think it's safe to say that the smartfade 24/96 is the way to go.
anyone disagree?

Last edited:

smartfade can run a stack, however it's really horrible to program. If you can find a real board(see if someone will sell you an express real cheap, or an old strand board) I would highly recommend it. Failing that, yes, a smartfade will probably do what you want. Smartsoft on a computer connected to the console makes it slightly more bearable, but it's still not a substitute for a real console.

A smartfade isn't that bad, very easy to program, stack is very easy to program as well, I use it at my school and it is wonderful.

Your console budget is more than the entire value of the gear? I ran a dozen LED pars and some scanners off a $80 cheapo DJ desk and it worked fine for me.

Your console budget is more than the entire value of the gear? I ran a dozen LED pars and some scanners off a $80 cheapo DJ desk and it worked fine for me.

well..That is MY off-time fun rig... :D

Oh and BTW, i need to add two Elation vision scan 250's to that list!

well. I kinda anwsered my own question..2day. I bought a 400 channel ETC Expression 3 from one of my local rental companies "that didn't need it anymore" for $1k.

amazing deal, huh?

well..That is MY off-time fun rig... :D

Oh and BTW, i need to add two Elation vision scan 250's to that list!

well. I kinda anwsered my own question..2day. I bought a 400 channel ETC Expression 3 from one of my local rental companies "that didn't need it anymore" for $1k.

amazing deal, huh?

That is a great deal but have fun running movers on that! (Though I have done it before with cheat sheets for channel values for the movers)

That is a great deal but have fun running movers on that! (Though I have done it before with cheat sheets for channel values for the movers)

Yea right,

Your probably thinking on trying to use movers on an Express - Thats impossible!. I have 6 pages of 5 phyiscal encoders.

Cheat sheets arn't nessecary when you have less than 20 fixtures, and you patched them in such a way that it is easy to memorize.

Ex.

Key:
DMX Cable= -----
Fixtures= [ ]

[ LED Par 1]-----------------[LED Par 2] --------------------[LED par 3]------[LED par 4]

On Expression 3:

Fixture 1 Fixture 2 Fixture 3 Fixture 4

not as efficient as programming hundreds of movers on a Grand ma, but is still way better then trying to program movers on a simple leprecon/NSI board;)

I've had access to that too, I ended up getting so frustrated with the encoders that I switched over to individual channels!

I've had access to that too, I ended up getting so frustrated with the encoders that I switched over to individual channels!

boo!!!! I fogot to add that you need to have the encoders setup in such a way that makes sense to you, NOT the board:D

Lightingguy1

hello I am the Lighting Director of a music venue. I have been asked by management to price out a new lighting console for our venue. I have been there for about 5 years and I am basically self taught using Light Jockey, and a 64 channel NSI board for par lights. Currently there are 30 channels of par lights, and 136 channels for moving lights, strobes and a fogger. We are looking for something that will run the par lights and intells on one console. It is a mainly live rock venue with a 1800 capacity. I run cover acts every weekend so I need something that will be easy to put a good show "on the fly" so I think faders are a plus. There are also many large name national acts that come so something that is somewhat compatible with what they use is also a plus. I have been given a budget of around 10k- maybe 15k if I can make a good sell. Any help would be great, I'm looking for 2-3 that I could try to at least get a demo set up.

hello I am the Lighting Director of a music venue. I have been asked by management to price out a new lighting console for our venue. I have been there for about 5 years and I am basically self taught using Light Jockey, and a 64 channel NSI board for par lights. Currently there are 30 channels of par lights, and 136 channels for moving lights, strobes and a fogger. We are looking for something that will run the par lights and intells on one console. It is a mainly live rock venue with a 1800 capacity. I run cover acts every weekend so I need something that will be easy to put a good show "on the fly" so I think faders are a plus. There are also many large name national acts that come so something that is somewhat compatible with what they use is also a plus. I have been given a budget of around 10k- maybe 15k if I can make a good sell. Any help would be great, I'm looking for 2-3 that I could try to at least get a demo set up.
I don't know if Strand has anything that fits you needs, but possibly and ETC Ion with a 2x24 fader wing might be good. Depending on the number of faders you need, you can add up to 6 fader wings to the Ion. I don't think the Element (Ion's little brother) is the best, just because of the number of movers.

Given the nature of what you do, R&R and mostly busking, it would probably be advisable to look into the HES Hog line of consoles. They are very prominent in that end of the industry and would probably serve your needs well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back