Control/Dimming Help me pick a console!

I don't know if Strand has anything that fits you needs, but possibly and ETC Ion with a 2x24 fader wing might be good. Depending on the number of faders you need, you can add up to 6 fader wings to the Ion. I don't think the Element (Ion's little brother) is the best, just because of the number of movers.

NO! Not for a rock club. I mainly see Avolites in installed clubs. Either a Pearl or a Hog 2 would probably be your best bet for guest LD's. Many of the major label acts will be carrying their own console, especially if they're looking for something specific such as GrandMA, but these are the most common that I have seen.

Thanks. I don't really know what other brands have, I just know what ETC has to offer.

hello I am the Lighting Director of a music venue. I have been asked by management to price out a new lighting console for our venue. I have been there for about 5 years and I am basically self taught using Light Jockey, and a 64 channel NSI board for par lights. Currently there are 30 channels of par lights, and 136 channels for moving lights, strobes and a fogger. We are looking for something that will run the par lights and intells on one console. It is a mainly live rock venue with a 1800 capacity. I run cover acts every weekend so I need something that will be easy to put a good show "on the fly" so I think faders are a plus. There are also many large name national acts that come so something that is somewhat compatible with what they use is also a plus. I have been given a budget of around 10k- maybe 15k if I can make a good sell. Any help would be great, I'm looking for 2-3 that I could try to at least get a demo set up.

The options that I would suggest:

Martin M1
Flying Pig (HES) Road Hog with an extra Playback Wing
Avo Pearl 2008 or 2010 (they're the same desk, really)
--Or the Pearl Expert, if you can swing that

The Avo Pearl line is a standard in rock clubs, any LD touring the club circuit can probably run an Avo. Plus, it gives you a lot of faders for your conventionals, which other desks don't - which is why I think it's gained the popularity it has in rock clubs. I don't really like to run shows on the Pearl if I know the band well and can program in advance, but for on the fly stuff with plenty of conventionals, it's great.

ETC and Strand are theatre consoles - not concert consoles. So they really are out of the question for a rock club.

(Posted simultaneously with the above.)
...It is a mainly live rock venue with a 1800 capacity. I run cover acts every weekend so I need something that will be easy to put a good show "on the fly" so I think faders are a plus. There are also many large name national acts that come so something that is somewhat compatible with what they use is also a plus. I have been given a budget of around 10k- maybe 15k if I can make a good sell. Any help would be great, I'm looking for 2-3 that I could try to at least get a demo set up.
As much as it pains me to say it, I think an Avolites Pearl/Tiger/Titan of some flavor fits your requirements exactly. The grandMA line doesn't really have anything appropriate in your price range. A Barco/HES Road Hog or Martin M1 might squeek into your price range. Both would be overkill for what you have right now, but would allow plenty of expansion over the next ten years. I'd also look at Chamsys MagicQ MQ50.

Last edited:
I was thinking Avo was a good suggestion, but I had a real hard time finding a price or where to buy from. Any ideas where to find some more info on them and maybe where to set up a demo?

I was thinking Avo was a good suggestion, but I had a real hard time finding a price or where to buy from. Any ideas where to find some more info on them and maybe where to set up a demo?

You're gonna have a hard time finding a price on any of these things online. They're mostly price on request. You'll need to contact a major lighting distributor who sells the brands in question and would be able to secure demos (probably directly through the manufacturer or national distributor).

At right around 10 grand I think an M1 will be the best bang for your buck!

Avo is going through some turmoil with their US distributorship. For a time, TMB was rep'ing them, but last I heard was "They'll be an announcement shortly." As they don't have a US distributor listed on their site, perhaps send an email to [email protected] asking who in the US one can buy from and request a demo. Then again, one wonders if it's this difficult to buy a console, what happens when one needs service?

yes, these are some substantial reservations I have on the Avo company, I did just look up the M1 console too. I've had some similar reservations on Martin; however I was impressed with it at first glance.

Okay I'm going to do something a little bit different, or the same but backwards. What kind of venue would be optimised by a Palette VL? An ETC Element? A Leprecon LPC of the most recent line?

Anyway, thanks. Or if you don't wanna answer this because of it's lack of practical use, that's cool to.

Okay I'm going to do something a little bit different, or the same but backwards. What kind of venue would be optimised by a Palette VL? An ETC Element? A Leprecon LPC of the most recent line? ...
As lightboards are more easily acquired/changed than the venue or type of performance, its an inane topic. I've never yet seen a venue or production based around its lighting control console.

Now if you're questioning the marketing hyberbole that goes
Console X is perfect for schools, churches, and assembly halls,
Conole Y is suited for large professional theatres and roadhouses
Console Z is demanded by top national touring acts
by all means, question those statements.

One normally defines the need/requirement/desire before seeking the solution.

i have gotta say theat etc expression boards are amazing. i love them and can program in my sleep. also the expression offline editor is free and is awesome in a fix. got a 48/96 at my school and no complaints

At my school we have an express 48 i belive and are trying to upgrade to a system that is compatable with every type of fixture. we are attepting a full overhaul of our system including dimmer racks and battens and everythng else. We want to be able to run musicals and live music concetrs and effexts and everything but are working with a school district budget. It would be nice if it was portable enough to move 1000ft or so with only a few guys and like an hour to get all the equipment there. We want the most virsatility and options with it. A grandMA might me too pricey for us but is on the list. we like etc but it looks like it might be time to switch to a different company.

At my school we have an express 48 i belive and are trying to upgrade to a system that is compatable with every type of fixture. we are attepting a full overhaul of our system including dimmer racks and battens and everythng else. We want to be able to run musicals and live music concetrs and effexts and everything but are working with a school district budget. It would be nice if it was portable enough to move 1000ft or so with only a few guys and like an hour to get all the equipment there. We want the most virsatility and options with it. A grandMA might me too pricey for us but is on the list. we like etc but it looks like it might be time to switch to a different company.

If you stick with ETC, there is the ION or the EOS The difference between the two (from what I have learned, correct me if I am wrong) is that the ION is meant for less moving heads and more effects like scrollers and LEDs, whereas if you wanted to have more moving lights, the EOS is better.

If you stick with ETC, there is the ION or the EOS The difference between the two (from what I have learned, correct me if I am wrong) is that the ION is meant for less moving heads and more effects like scrollers and LEDs, whereas if you wanted to have more moving lights, the EOS is better.

I may have to disagree. The ION is designed to be portable, which is ideal for the moving you wanted, but you could get that with anything assuming you have 2 people and/or a truck to carry the board. The EOS is a bulky 90 pounds so although it might be the best console I've ever worked with, it would be tricky to move. ION is only 20 pounds, but if you're willing to consider a GrandMA it's much to small for you. GrandMA is probably bad for a high school, very few of them are on the market other then big touring rigs, so you'd be very weird in this case. I think Carnegie-Mellon has one, so you could ring them up for more advice on it. The board I recommend is Strand's Palette VL64. It's similar to the EOS, and although it may be a little lower quality, it should be cheaper. It only weighs 38 pounds so it's easy to move, and hooks up very easily. It does have a habit for overheating, but that shouldn't be a deal breaker. However, if you can find an EOS at a comparative price that will be your best bet, at least from my experience.

Anyway, those consoles can run a multitude of moving lights and don't have any huge problems. They come at a decent price, and are both very approachable.

The primary difference is cost. An Eos runs $25,000 or so. An Ion is in the $7500 range. What do you get for the extra $17,000 ?, built in touch screens, so 4 total screens available on the Eos. Plus motorized playback faders and a better keypad layout with fewer hidden and softkey functions. That said, the Ion (IMO) does probably 80% of what an Eos can do, mostly limited by number of universes. The built in touch screens on an Eos does make life easier in terms of programming with ML's and the like as there's less Tabbing between pages to access functions, so yes, the Eos makes programming easier, but if you get dual touch screens for an Ion, life with movers gets a whole lot easier. As to effects, the process is identical on both consoles as the software is the same. Ditto use of LED's and newer devices, same OS in both desks.

As to sotalight16's needs, The Ion is a lot easier to re-locate then an Eos, which is a much larger and heavier desk and not one I'd be moving around. Both desks can use the add-on fader wings, which offer terrific functionality and cost effectiveness. I confess that I'm not sure why you'd want to re-locate the console as it's a pain to lug back and forth. If you only need a remote for lamp checks and focus, the Radio Remote Focus Unit is a terrific tool. Or you can buy a dongle for a laptop, run the Off-Line software in Client mode, maybe add a $180 X-Keys box and you've got an easier system to move around.

I may have to disagree. The ION is designed to be portable, which is ideal for the moving you wanted, but you could get that with anything assuming you have 2 people and/or a truck to carry the board. The EOS is a bulky 90 pounds so although it might be the best console I've ever worked with, it would be tricky to move. ION is only 20 pounds, but if you're willing to consider a GrandMA it's much to small for you. GrandMA is probably bad for a high school, very few of them are on the market other then big touring rigs, so you'd be very weird in this case. I think Carnegie-Mellon has one, so you could ring them up for more advice on it. The board I recommend is Strand's Palette VL64. It's similar to the EOS, and although it may be a little lower quality, it should be cheaper. It only weighs 38 pounds so it's easy to move, and hooks up very easily. It does have a habit for overheating, but that shouldn't be a deal breaker. However, if you can find an EOS at a comparative price that will be your best bet, at least from my experience.

Anyway, those consoles can run a multitude of moving lights and don't have any huge problems. They come at a decent price, and are both very approachable.

unfortunatly overheating would be a dealbreaker due to the amount of use in a span of time. We have a minumum of 20 different events/shows to program in a school year and then people come in and utalize our systems so its more like 40+ different things it would have to do in a school year. and with the amout of time and variety of people needing to use it that would cause problems. This is also the only reason the grandMA is an option because of its versatility and abitity but i am very wary of getting one. I think a roadhog fullboar with additional wings and attachment might be a better fit. But am thinking abot ETC as well because it is compatable with our equipment.

The primary difference is cost. An Eos runs $25,000 or so. An Ion is in the $7500 range. What do you get for the extra $17,000 ?, built in touch screens, so 4 total screens available on the Eos. Plus motorized playback faders and a better keypad layout with fewer hidden and softkey functions. That said, the Ion (IMO) does probably 80% of what an Eos can do, mostly limited by number of universes. The built in touch screens on an Eos does make life easier in terms of programming with ML's and the like as there's less Tabbing between pages to access functions, so yes, the Eos makes programming easier, but if you get dual touch screens for an Ion, life with movers gets a whole lot easier. As to effects, the process is identical on both consoles as the software is the same. Ditto use of LED's and newer devices, same OS in both desks.

As to sotalight16's needs, The Ion is a lot easier to re-locate then an Eos, which is a much larger and heavier desk and not one I'd be moving around. Both desks can use the add-on fader wings, which offer terrific functionality and cost effectiveness. I confess that I'm not sure why you'd want to re-locate the console as it's a pain to lug back and forth. If you only need a remote for lamp checks and focus, the Radio Remote Focus Unit is a terrific tool. Or you can buy a dongle for a laptop, run the Off-Line software in Client mode, maybe add a $180 X-Keys box and you've got an easier system to move around.

it would be moved so we could run outdoor events with it as opposed to useing an outside vendor. It would be used for dances in the gym and events held on the field and in our central area. Its only to try to keep it in house for cost efectiveness and on the job learning. I am a fan of wings on any consol and laptop software and the less haveing to look through menues and such the better. because of the time restants on programing each show and event. It would also need to be good to handle live event and be run manually so if we went with etc we would most likely get the eos.

The problem with getting a high-end board like the GrandMA is that anyone who needs to use it would need training. Maybe even extensive training. This is an industry standard board for concert tours, but not the casual/nonprofessional user. It would most likely be way overkill for your needs. I would look in to getting something more along the lines of the ETC Ion or similar.

You may be able to grasp the UI of the GrandMA very easily, but you have to look beyond 'you' and consider who else will have to figure the thing out -- especially after you leave the school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back