Control/Dimming Help me pick a console!

Re: Console suggestions

I used a Smartfade ML for a rental show a couple of years ago. It would probably suit your needs nicely. I used it to control a couple of LED towers, some PARs, some ellipsoidal instruments (Altman as I remember). I think a total of 20 instruments. It worked. It all depends on what your budget happens to be. Personally, I prefer something a bit more programmable.

to move quickly, though! If we get it in on this year's budget, we might get it--they don't like giving extra budget back to the school division at the end of the year.

I'm looking at ETC SmartPack 12 channel + road case for dimming. I'm renting one for Graduation in 2 weeks anyways, we'll see how thing go with that.

We do not presently use movers, but I do rent things on occasion--and I think I want to leave that option open if we are getting a new console.

Needs: 16 channels or better, "bump" on each channel, programmable chase.

Console choice:

ETC ML or ETC 1296.

Any opinions on Zero 88 consoles?

Thanks!

Let's be real for a moment, if you only are getting 12 channels of dimming now, what you really want is one of these: Leprecon LP600

Let's be real for a moment, if you only are getting 12 channels of dimming now, what you really want is one of these: Leprecon LP600

Interesting suggestion. Similar to what we are using now.

I do want more dimmer channels available. We occasionally rent gear.

Presently I have 8 channels of dimming (2 x 4 channel shoebox). However, have rented enough to use 16 in the past. I did not use the Lightronics for that, have never used 9-16 on it. I used a USB --> DMX setup on my old Toshiba laptop. I have switched back to Mac, and can't get the USB --> DMX dongle (Entec Open DMX) to behave with the Mac. I rolled over the Toshiba to a student (stage crew kid) who needed a computer, so I still have access to it as needed to run lighting. In fact, we are using it to run Grad this year. The only thing I do not like about the DMX --> USB software is that "manual bump" is impossible to use when lighting the band. So ... I don't use it for that. It is useful for things like Grad, etc, where there are only fades between "scenes."

I will put that on the quote request, too.

Thanks!

With that desk you can use more than 12 dimmers, you just have 12 "handles." So say you have a backwash of 4 dimmers that can all be on one fader, you can patch them all together.

And if you occasionally rent "toys" rent a smart fade or ion with, though I've defiantly run LEDs off those desks before. And they will outlive any other piece of gear in your rig too!

I run a small children’s theatre. I must admit my theatre tech knowledge is very limited. Currently we do our shows in our high school’s mini-theater. The lighting system is very simple, three banks of lights controlled by a dimmer switches on the wall. I recently discovered a DMX input on the wall and was told connecting a light controller would override the wall switches. Since we are a small community theatre, with limited funds I’m considering purchasing a Chauvet Stage Designer 50 DMX Lighting Controller. I basically need to turn the lights on and off, adjust intensity, isolate separate or group of lights and pre-program the board so I can accomplish each change with a push of a button. Will this board serve my purposes? What are its limitations? If we move to a larger venue would this board still be useable or would I have to buy something more robust? If you believe this board is not suitable any recommendations that are not thousands of dollars.

TIA
Paul

I would use ETC Element. From what I understand is you want to make some submasters with your common looks, some groups, and you want to be able to use it if you become larger. Element comes in different forms:
Element 40- 200
Element 40- 500
Element 60- 200
Element 60- 500

the 40 and the 60 is the number of submasters you have, and the 200 and 500 is the amount of channels. you get 2 universes of dmx. Also if you want you can get a Remote Focus unit so that you can remotely control everything away from the console. With the 60 version you get some Masters and you can also get 60 submasters when you turn a knob.

Looking to upgrade our console. We currently have an ETC Express 72/144 which is a great board but we are starting to out-grow it. We have recently added moving lights, which the express does not handle well, and other DMX devices like color scrollers and strobes. We love our ETC board and get great support from local companies so we have decided to stay in the ETC family (plus we don't have to worry about conflicts with our current system). We started looking at the ETC Ion but the ETC Element also caught our eye as a cheaper alternative.

We are wondering if anyone can explain the differences in the two boards so we can decide if the extra cost on the Ion is worth it. I've read ETC's website but they don't have specific enough information.

Here's what we have:
-1600 seats
-188 dimmers
-160+ conventional lights (almost all have been used for a single show)
-10 Chavet Qspot 250 Moving lights (13 channels each- yes, I know...they suck. Not my choice)
-12 Apollo 7.5 color scrollers (4 channels each), will be adding to 24 soonish.
-2 Atomic 3000 strobes (4 channels each).
-DMX hazers and a handful of other DMX f/x devices.

- Show needs: We do 1 musical and 2 straight shows a year (all recorded cues). We do 2 "rock" concerts a year (cues and submaster effects), and 2 combos (shows that need full stage conventionals plus all the flashies....these are the biggens with cues in both A/B and C/D faders, plus subs and sub effects). We also do choir/band concerts and assemblies that we run off of submasters only.

- Our current console can handle 240 channels and our most recent big show more than filled this (I had to patch multiple dimmers to a couple channels to fit everything)

- Submasters are a must so we cannot buy just the Ion without sliders. We run the majority of our events live.

- Budget is a concern but both consoles are eventually affordable, its just a matter of how long it takes to save up.

- We are still upgrading/adding equipment so we need something that allows for some growth.

- Moving light functionality is a big plus. Our current system blows for this and is one of the main reasons we are upgrading. We run all of our moving light shows live (not recorded cues...those are used to run specific patterns but still operated live) ease of live use is a big concern.

I hope this is all the info people need to help. Please, feel free to ask any questions and thank you for any ideas.

Jason Stoll
Assistant Technical Director
Neenah High School
Neenah, WI

I would actually do Congo Kid or Congo Jr. Congo Kid is only about $6,000 and Im not sure how much Jr is.

I would actually do Congo Kid or Congo Jr. Congo Kid is only about $6,000 and Im not sure how much Jr is.

Hey, welcome to CB! Take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members forum.

You might also want to pay attention to the post dates. This thread has been around a while, and the last two posts you have replied to are almost three years old, and both users haven't been online in over a year.

Hey, welcome to CB! Take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members forum.

You might also want to pay attention to the post dates. This thread has been around a while, and the last two posts you have replied to are almost three years old, and both users haven't been online in over a year.

thank you..... and oh...

I am also searching for a new console. I have been looking at a Eurolight LC2412 (it fits our price bracket) but have seen some negative comment of these forums that have made me wary of it. Is there another desk at the lower end of the price range that might suit us?
One possibly minor point. The cheaper desks seem to concentrate on the provision of chases. I am working in theatre mode and rarely use chases, though there are times when they do fit a particular scene.
Denis

What kind of lights will you be using.

What kind of lights will you be using.

Hi jsusfrk100, Welcome to CB! Why don't you take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members board! Also, you may want to note the post date when replying to a thread. The post in question is from three years ago, and the user hasn't been active in just as long.

Again, Welcome!

Hi, Im new to this forum and this is my first post. thanks for all the great reading and advice so far.
I own a small production company who focus primarily on smaller events, gala dinners, conferences etc. We have been using an old Worx lighting desk which is great for the simple dmx dimming and creating scenes however we recently started adding moving lights to our list of kit and this is definately not the right desk.
Our current lighting includes;
4x follow spots source4
24x LED Pars (would like to upgrade to 48)
4x Britec LED moving Spots (would like 8)
4x Britec LED moving Floods (would like 8)
and around 8 other DMX controlled LED effect fixtures used mainly for "disco/dancing"
usual smoke/hazer for enhanced lighting effects

I have been looking at smaller (easy to move yet powerful) desks and our local SA suppliers have recommended 3 options;
Avolite Titan Mobile, Martin M2PC, ETC Congo Kid.

In terms of the local market, South Africa has a huge freelance base most of whom work on the Titan Touch. Id love the Touch but its out of my budget range.
So far I am steering toward the Avolite because of aftersales service, then the M2PC. Both of which i'd purchase with a 23" Touch screen with built in PC, complete with flight case.

While I love set routines, events need to have the ability to improvise and change quickly on the fly or busk.

Is there anyone who could offer advice on the Titan mobile verse the Martin M2PC?
Many thanks

Hi, Im new to this forum and this is my first post. thanks for all the great reading and advice so far.
I own a small production company who focus primarily on smaller events, gala dinners, conferences etc. We have been using an old Worx lighting desk which is great for the simple dmx dimming and creating scenes however we recently started adding moving lights to our list of kit and this is definately not the right desk.
Our current lighting includes;
4x follow spots source4
24x LED Pars (would like to upgrade to 48)
4x Britec LED moving Spots (would like 8)
4x Britec LED moving Floods (would like 8)
and around 8 other DMX controlled LED effect fixtures used mainly for "disco/dancing"
usual smoke/hazer for enhanced lighting effects

I have been looking at smaller (easy to move yet powerful) desks and our local SA suppliers have recommended 3 options;
Avolite Titan Mobile, Martin M2PC, ETC Congo Kid.

In terms of the local market, South Africa has a huge freelance base most of whom work on the Titan Touch. Id love the Touch but its out of my budget range.
So far I am steering toward the Avolite because of aftersales service, then the M2PC. Both of which i'd purchase with a 23" Touch screen with built in PC, complete with flight case.

While I love set routines, events need to have the ability to improvise and change quickly on the fly or busk.

Is there anyone who could offer advice on the Titan mobile verse the Martin M2PC?
Many thanks

I would recommend the Etc Ion which runs about 6,000 dollars and up depending on the model that you want. Personally I would not use the Congo kid for this but it does work with your setup but Ion can support programmable fader wings and Congo kid can't. Ion is good for moving light, LEDS and convectionals and special effect. So Congo would be my personal choice. Also ETC sells DMX nodes so you can get more universes over Ethernet.

Last edited:
The Ion (IMO) also isn't really the best for busking, or "on the fly" editing.

out of the choices listed for someone who's primary use isn't built cues, I'd go with the M2, its a great little device and expandable just make sure to use a PC Dedicated for lighting (no internet, no network, nothing other than windows + the software for M2).

While you mentioned that the console that many other people are using in your area is a little out of your price range, there is an advantage to getting the hardware that your friends/colleagues use. If you have problems you have a large base of people to call for help, it means that the rental shops probably carry it so that if yours breaks, you can get another. Just a couple things to keep in mind.

Hey Gang-
I am looking for a console for a music venue, I have a budget of 10K tops (but they'd like less). I'm gunning for an M1 but wondered what other options might be a good fit. I need to make some things blink and other things wiggle, nothing too crazy.

Busking Live shows every night, or the same show for a long run?

The first thing that springs to mind would be a MA on PC command wing and an all in one touch screen pc, BUT with out the fader wing not really an option, but it is a nice dream.
How about a hog, a well loved old hog that has sired many fine piglets(old farm boy, excuse me). For that matter how about a hog4?
Road Hog 4 Console
Then you could always get down, get funky and go RETRO with an Obsession II.
ETC Obsession II Console 4600 channel system | Used Lighting - Used Stage & Theatrical Lighting Equipment, LED Lighting, Trussing
The big question is, are you sometimes going to be driving this rig?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back