Design Help me pick the right Gel

Shawncfer

So right now Im trying to design a show with Red and Blue scoops. In the red scoops I have R124s and I love the way it looks in a Red wash. For the blues, I have R80s and it looks like crap. Its like theres too much light but Im not sure thats why. Im wanting to get a new blue gel and Im thinking and R125. Can I get any good suggestions for a good thick Blue Wash?

R124 & R125 are both consider primaries (Red Blue & Green) for cyc color mixing. You should look at the transmission value of the R124 (~12% & 125 - 8%) and the SED Vurve in your swatch book or on the Roscoe website. R80 has a higher transmission value of 9%. Take a look at the SED Curves and see the amount other colors being passed through the filters. You may see that the blue transmits a fair amount of red making it appear brighter. I personally like R74 (TV 4%) & R85 (TV3%) - good deep blues with less red shift.

Thanks, I was going to pick up a sheet of different gels to tryout today. I was thinking of r384, but that's pretty similair to your r85 right?

It's close. Check out the Rosco website if you do not have a swatch book. Takes a bit more imagination, but they will at least tell you the TV and they have most SED's on line. www.roscoe.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back