Help needed with School Lighting setup (dimmer pack addresses)

I did get some kind offers of help in the end so hopefully we have a lifeline if they're still stuck.

If I could just clarify something about the Showmaster? Am I right in thinking when all 48 channels are assigned to fixtures I would be unable program scenes to the bottom row, and they'd overlap? From the way it's set up now I'm wondering if we would be even be able to record scenes.

Thanks again for everyones help.

I did get some kind offers of help in the end so hopefully we have a lifeline if they're still stuck.

If I could just clarify something about the Showmaster? Am I right in thinking when all 48 channels are assigned to fixtures I would be unable program scenes to the bottom row, and they'd overlap? From the way it's set up now I'm wondering if we would be even be able to record scenes.

Thanks again for everyones help.
According to the Showmaster instruction manual, the unit is designed to record all 48 channels as scenes into the bottom row of faders. You do have the manual, right?

This is good to know for the future, thanks.

Yes, we do have the manual on hand. There was just conflicting information in one of the YT video guides and it's comments. Perhaps they were confused with double preset mode, as in the manual it states you can't record scenes there.

Things seem to be coming along and they've thankfully fixed most of the addressing issues. However, I'm now having a hard time editing/deleting scenes on the Showmaster.

I'm able to record a scene but when I go back to try and delete it (select page> hold edit button> double tap scene flash key) the desk flashes to indicate it's carried out the command but the scene stays in place.

I see there is a seperate method for deleting steps by simply entering edit mode for a scene and tapping delete, but I'm not sure this works either.

Is there something obvious that I'm missing? At this point I'm wishing I had reccomended Nomad/MagicQ sooner!

Encouraging that they've made sense of the addressing. Those showmaster style desks can be a bit idiosyncratic in their operation. Are you recording a chase made up of scenes, or individual scenes? I have a vague recollection, from using a similar but not identical style of desk, that they are treated differently.

Thanks for looking. I dread to think how many times I've gone through that manual now! Sometimes certain functions only seem to work after repeating a step two or three times which does seem odd. I think the Desk has seen better days.

I wouldn't feel so bad if I was running the show myself but I have to hand over to some other poor person soon.

If I can just manage to make the transitions between similar scenes a little less jarring I will be happy enough. There are points where they want the next scene to remain the same, only with one side fixture killed/added. The way I've done it means there is a noticable 'dip' when fading between the two states. Upping the fade time smooths it out a little but it doesn't feel like the right approach at all.

Fingers crossed I'll sort it tomorrow. Thanks again!

It may be that the desk simple doesn't do dipless fades.
There's a pretty good chance of that. I've used some vaguely similar cheap little DMX lighting controllers that, while having a two-scene preset mode with a crossfader, did not do dipless crossfading between them. It's a bit infuriating because you know these are computerized controllers and it would be trivial to do dipless crossfading in the software, but they just didn't do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back