Help needed

murban

Hello,

I hope that you can help me. I have to light up a new small city square (see picture). The man who organize the show asked me if it is possible to light up a square without bringing in the heavy trussing equip.. The gear that I have at the moment is : Strand 200 lighting desk, strand 12x3kW dimmers, 30 PAR64 1kW and two Griven dardo followspots.

Any ideas how to do this ?

proxy.php

What is it for? How is everything powered? What do the organizers need from you? Are you just lighting the square or do you have to provide lighting for the stage? And where is this (I don't recognize the language)?

Well, if all your being asked to do is give general visibility lighting for the whole area, then I would suggest a minimum of 12 18' trees with 4 PARs a piece. That should give you enough coverage (it is a rather large space). But, you've got to keep lights off the projection screens to not was them out, and away from the stage if there is to be stage lighting as well. More information would be great.

We need more design concept information from you.

When you say light up the square what does that mean.

To me it means light up the general area and buildings and foutin and surroundings to make it more alive at night. Am i wrong?

I that is the general idea then you have a problem. Its a big area and you only have 30 par cans. I would look into getting more fixtures and getting creative with what you have. As for truss. there are options for mouting fixtures ie. floor plates, trees, genie lifts, you could mount them to buildings.

It just depends what you are trying to do, so give us some more detail.
JH

By "lighting the block", I take it you mean providing ambient lighting. Are the other red dots street lights? Walkway lights? If so, you may be able to do something Disney-like in attaching small mounting rails to them using stainless steel pipe bands, and mount 4 to 6 lights on each. (This would avoid leg tripping issues.) As there is a show and a stage, I would look at reflective lighting options and adding color. The bigger problem may be cable runs. Are these all going to be set to the same intensity? Need more info.

THX for your suggestions.
I have to say that I`m no professional , i am just an amateur theatre worker so I have very limited resources.
The square is new and it`s grand opening will be on 14.9. . It is located in small city called Lukovica in Slovenia - http://www.lukovica.si/prvastran/default-en.asp

I have to light up a whole square. There will be a lot of "traffic" (horses, stagecoach, old cars....) so i have to dimm the ambient light down and use followspots to cover this objects . My idea was the same as
JD`s - mounting steel rails on street lamps. The lamps (ambient) will be controled via Strand lighting desk and followspots have their own dimming equip..
Yes I have to cover the stage too. I was thinking to hire two FAL OPERA 2500MMD followspots and cover the stage and moving objects around the square. with them.
As I said there should be no or yust minimal trussing.

THX again

P.S: sorry for my english

Here is another take on this

If you attempt to light up the entire square, what will you accomplish, depending on the amount of light you can afford it will look like early morning or early evening, not very interesting

SO I would light up the fountain, light up the trees and up light the buildings NOT looking for even lighting, but instead light beams, to make it interesting and attractive.

I would then light up the stage, and use the spots like you suggested. To try to cover this entire block with "replace the sun" type of lighting like on a movie set is going to require a lot of power, and a lot of large very expensive lighting.

Accent lighting, with make it interesting and add to the drama

Again just my opinion

Sharyn

Great idea Sharyn. Not far from where I live there is a small town in the mountains that has a festival before Christmas every year. It's a wonderful day of activities and then after dark they turn off all the normal lights in town. It's very dark, everyone gathers around the square, the sing Christmas songs, and they turn on the Christmas lights. The lights are on every building and tree all over the square. It's very beautiful.

You could do something similar by lighting the buildings themselves with theater lights in different colors, colored lights shooting up into trees, fountain etc... then use follow spots to light the stages. It could be very beautiful and different.

Here is another take on this
If you attempt to light up the entire square, what will you accomplish, depending on the amount of light you can afford it will look like early morning or early evening, not very interesting
SO I would light up the fountain, light up the trees and up light the buildings NOT looking for even lighting, but instead light beams, to make it interesting and attractive.
I would then light up the stage, and use the spots like you suggested. To try to cover this entire block with "replace the sun" type of lighting like on a movie set is going to require a lot of power, and a lot of large very expensive lighting.
Accent lighting, with make it interesting and add to the drama
Again just my opinion
Sharyn

Sharyn, I whole heartedly agree with you, but as someone once quoted, here on CB: "Light the money." If the town wants its new square to be highly visible, then his (or her) hands' might be tied.

As aforementioned, using color filter will help make any general lighting less "replace the sun", and more artistic (for lack of a better word). Perhaps, if any general wash is needed, some gobos can be used to add texture. (Unless, these are all PARs, aren't they?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back