Help! Rosco to Lee filters list incomplete!

What Lee color would you substitute for Lux33?

• Lee035

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lee248

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Other, please specify...

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TOG

I was just handed the lighting call out for a play that specifies Rosco filters- but my local supplier is a Lee person and I've gotten clearance to substitute. I've matched everything except Roscolux #33 "no color pink". Is there a Lee alternative to this?

Believe it or nt there really isn't. The closest would be L035, which is an exact match to R35, or I would use L248: Half Minus Green for Lux33. Arguable as to which is the better substitute, but either should work.

sorta hijacking....

Is this a common thing? Do people really try to substitute entire color orders to what they have/know/what their dealer stocks? I have a large inventory of color from the big three (Lee, Gam, Lux), but I always buy what I need to finish any design. All of the local dealers here stock color from the big three, I would find it odd for a dealer not to even sell color from all three.

Along the same lines, what do you do for gobos? Does your dealer only stock/sell Lee patterns? I have not run into too many people who use lee templates, I have only two different Lee patterns in my inventory. Would you try to substitute any Rosco and Gam patterns for Lee?

I would be most intrigued if your local dealer didn't sell Gam (not that you needed Gam colors) because any bum off the street can buy direct from Gam, or be a dealer. I guess it seems like shooting yourself in the foot to not sell products from at least the big three, maybe some of our members in retail have some insight.

/hijack

sorta hijacking....
Is this a common thing? Do people really try to substitute entire color orders to what they have/know/what their dealer stocks? I have a large inventory of color from the big three (Lee, Gam, Lux), but I always buy what I need to finish any design. All of the local dealers here stock color from the big three, I would find it odd for a dealer not to even sell color from all three.
Along the same lines, what do you do for gobos? Does your dealer only stock/sell Lee patterns? I have not run into too many people who use lee templates, I have only two different Lee patterns in my inventory. Would you try to substitute any Rosco and Gam patterns for Lee?
I would be most intrigued if your local dealer didn't sell Gam (not that you needed Gam colors) because any bum off the street can buy direct from Gam, or be a dealer. I guess it seems like shooting yourself in the foot to not sell products from at least the big three, maybe some of our members in retail have some insight.
/hijack

Alex,
As I'm sure you do, we order whatever color is on the paper work. The only time a substitution is made is when I anticipate a problem with a color and a particular unit type. For example, if we have some 2kW Fresnels with R80 in a difficult to reach place I'll ASK if we can substitute L119HT.

GAM is a difficult company to do business with as a dealer. They charge a rather hefty "minimum order" fee to their dealers, and expect them to stock EVERY color and gobo they make. I pay $2.00-$3.00 less per template than GAM's online prices. If I order 20 of a template from my dealer, and then two days later need 2 more (you know, because the designer forgot something, etc), then GAM charges the dealer a minimum order fee (I believe it's $25). The dealer then tells me that if I can't wait to have my order piggy-back on a larger order I'll have to pay that fee.

I honestly try not to do any business with GAM because of this. I've even called Pascal, their V. P. Sales and Marketing about the issue and he was essentially non-responsive to the issue.

GAM makes good products, albeit overprices ones. They just see to have lost touch with the realities of the theatrical world.

--Sean

As far as I know, neither Lee nor Rosco charge such a fee.

--Sean

Last edited:
Color substitution is an iffy thing… Some colors do not translate. (Some of the old Roscolene comes to mind.) That being said, some substitutions work fine. The rule here would be to use what is spec’d whenever possible, and never do a partial substitution. No matter how close they look, if you have four of eight lamps gelled with a substitute, you are walking a very thin rope.

I've had this conversation several times recently. And here's what we all need to remember in the long run...only we're going to notice that slight change between R33 and L035 the audience aka the people we're doing the show for won't notice a **** thing.

That being said....I WANT MY COLORS NOT YOURS!!!

Thanks all for the suggestions...and criticisms.
This isn't a college, community theater, or professional group. It's strictly amateur and I made the commitment to light it and now I'm stuck.
I already know not to mix unique company colors that might be "close". The plan is to be company-consistent throughout and I'm going to have to buy all new filters anyway- I don't have any of the ones specified. There isn't a large theatrical/lighting supply company in this area- it's a music store that carries ADJ stage lights and such. And I'm obligated to buy locally. They sell Lee. I have to get Lee.
Is there ANY consensus on what I could use to replace Roscolux #33 No Color Pink?

Poll added. You should have your consensus, if any, soon.

The Rosco/Lee situation is a moot point- the local Lee dealer decided to give up the line and get out of lighting. The only other supplier in the area is a retail music store with disco/garage band lighting and can only get the filter kits that American DJ has available- nothing else. I finally found a theatrical supply house that reps Rosco- 200 miles away. And they are retail and don't have a shipping department, so I have to beg to get them to send stuff. Anybody here at Control Booth a Rosco supplier? If I'm going to have to find a new source it may as well be an expert... (As opposed to somebody who specializes in dance shoes although I'm pretty open minded about the whole dance shoe thing.)
*SIGH*
They canceled the musical, then revived it, then killed it again, then incorporated some of the crucial singing scenes into their Easter Service.
Last Monday I was handed a piece of paper with a big rectangle on it. And three evenly-spaced large "X" marks in the rectangle. That's the new stage/light plot. They want it dialed in by next Monday.
While I was hanging/focusing yesterday the church handyman watched for a while and then mentioned that about a year ago he got tired of the funny colors so he got a ladder and took out and threw away "all that cellophane"...

The Rosco/Lee situation is a moot point- the local Lee dealer decided to give up the line and get out of lighting. The only other supplier in the area is a retail music store with disco/garage band lighting and can only get the filter kits that American DJ has available- nothing else. I finally found a theatrical supply house that reps Rosco- 200 miles away. And they are retail and don't have a shipping department, so I have to beg to get them to send stuff. Anybody here at Control Booth a Rosco supplier? If I'm going to have to find a new source it may as well be an expert... (As opposed to somebody who specializes in dance shoes although I'm pretty open minded about the whole dance shoe thing.)

Production Advantage: (800) 424–9991
Barbizon: http://www.barbizon.com/customer_service/index_40.cfm Call the one closest to you

As a note for everyone. If you don't have a "local" shop, there are _real_ teatrical suppliers all over the country. Ask us here, but if you need L201, get L201. Most of the theatrical supply industry is in fact shipped. I don't "stop by" my supplier when I need HPL's. I make a phone call.

--Sean

Barbizon, BMI, Rose Brand...all will ship nation wide, and most of the time will ship small orders with minimal shipping and handling. We also deal with One Source Building Supply http://www.onesourcebt.com/ which does not look like a theatrical supply, but gets us what we want when we need it. So you may have a supplier near you without knowing it.

As for substitutions, we have on hand a wide variety of Lee and Rosco colors, and substitute all of the time. As long as the color is close none of the tours have minded and the ones that do, carry their own color.

sorta hijacking....
Is this a common thing? Do people really try to substitute entire color orders to what they have/know/what their dealer stocks?
/hijack

In the concert world it's very common. Especially if, for example, the plot specifies Lee numbers and you stock mostly Rosco or Apollo. The colors aren't as specific. The only time we don't is when they mark the plot "do not substitute."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back