Help setting lighting plot!

Flexxin

Hey,
I'm organizing a grand stage show for our anniversary day to be held in the company auditorium by the end of this year. To set the stage for the event, I thought of getting dimmers for making the lighting plot. So have planned to get a 24 circuit dimmer of 1.2kW and a 12 circuit dimmer of 1.2kW. So the power to these are from two 100 Amp lines, so I wondered how many watts of power can be plugged into both lights in total. I'm guessing that each circuit can power up to 1.2 kW, but I need to make sure that this is the predicament. We do have a licensed electrician saved up for the job. But I was still wondering if this is something that can be done quickly by ourselves. Is this the job of a professional? Has anyone here fixed it themselves?
Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

You have a total load possiblity of 360 amps. What is your available service? When you say "two 100 amp lines" is that 100 amps of 120/240V, or 2 services of 100 amp three phase 120/208V?

I respectfully submit that if you're asking these questions you should be hiring a designer or production firm to handle these details for you.

Last edited:
I may be revealing my ignorance, but to me, it appears you are going down a path to using 36, or so, incandescent instruments. Have you considered that the lighting world is moving rapidly to LED where those dimmers are not used? The power and infrastructure requirements are much simpler, albeit the instruments are more expensive.

Hey,
I'm organizing a grand stage show for our anniversary day to be held in the company auditorium by the end of this year. To set the stage for the event, I thought of getting dimmers for making the lighting plot. So have planned to get a 24 circuit dimmer of 1.2kW and a 12 circuit dimmer of 1.2kW. So the power to these are from two 100 Amp lines, so I wondered how many watts of power can be plugged into both lights in total. I'm guessing that each circuit can power up to 1.2 kW, but I need to make sure that this is the predicament. We do have a licensed electrician saved up for the job. But I was still wondering if this is something that can be done quickly by ourselves. Is this the job of a professional? Has anyone here fixed it themselves?
Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
I would recommend checking the specifications from the supplier of the dimmer racks. For example a 24 1.2kW rack will show :
Input Voltage: 220VAC (120VAC x 2) or 208VAC (3-phase)
- Input Current: 120A per panel, supplied as 60A x 2 (for single phase
sources) or 40A x 3 (for 3-phase sources)

If you understand this and how to tie in to your panels that's great. if not consult with your electrician.

Best wishes with your event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back