Sound f/x Help: Shipwreck sound F/X

Hello everyone! This is actually my first post to the community here so I hope to contribute as much as I am able.

Anyway, my college is producing The Tempest for our first production of the semester. For this production I am Stage Managing as well as designing sound. One of my cues I'm having difficulty with is a ship wreck sound effect. My directors note is "we hear the ship begin to crack open" and I have tried everything I know but I can't find something that fits. So I was hoping someone could give me a little guidance. I've scoured the internet for anything even resembling that but to no avail.

I'm looking to get something that sounds like this:

Pirates of the Caribbean, when the Kraken tears through the mast and wrecks the ship.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

start at 2:43

Thanks, any and all help would be appreciated!

TC

You may have to build your own. The way I would approach that would be to gather a bunch of small sounds, like creaks groans, snapping, cracking, crunching, building up to bigger, deeper sounds and layer them together in a multi-track editor.

Not sure whether this is still relevant as your production may have come and gone by now, but at least for anyone else who's looking, I was involved with a production of Titanic (the musical) where the sound designer created an amazing "ship hits iceberg and cracks apart" cue by recording twigs breaking and ice cracking (by stepping on it), and then slowing the audio way down/layering it together. There may have been some other processing I'm not aware of, but I believe that was the basic process. Hope this helps.

Hello everyone! This is actually my first post to the community here so I hope to contribute as much as I am able.

Anyway, my college is producing The Tempest for our first production of the semester. For this production I am Stage Managing as well as designing sound. One of my cues I'm having difficulty with is a ship wreck sound effect. My directors note is "we hear the ship begin to crack open" and I have tried everything I know but I can't find something that fits. So I was hoping someone could give me a little guidance. I've scoured the internet for anything even resembling that but to no avail.

I'm looking to get something that sounds like this:

Pirates of the Caribbean, when the Kraken tears through the mast and wrecks the ship.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

start at 2:43

Thanks, any and all help would be appreciated!

TC

Hello Tim and welcome aboard this board. When you wrote "I've scoured the internet" can we assume you've scoured sounddogs.com, auditioned their effects for free, and decided they have nothing to offer?

Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back