Help with a NSI DDS 9800 Dimmer Pack

I have 2 9800 dimmer packs at the local community theatre. There is 6 channels that are constantly on no matter what.
The Green Lights stay on but the yellow lights are flashing.
I'm pretty new with this system and haven't found the manual yet.

Anybody have any ideas? Thanks!
My first suspicion would be blown / shorted TRIACs in those six dimmers.
If no one beats me to it, after dinner I'll look up your packs on line and see if I can tell you anything further.
Edit: Spelling error.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Last edited:
...There is 6 channels that are constantly on no matter what.
The Green Lights stay on but the yellow lights are flashing.
From the manual: http://www.leviton.com/en/docs/Instruction+Sheet+DDS+RACKS.pdf
NO LOAD (Yellow) Steady indicates the absence of a load on a particular channel output. This may be due to no connection to
the output or a faulty lamp. Flashing of the NO LOAD LED indicates that the respective channel is in the Focus Test Mode and
is forced to full intensity.
So just unpress the Focus Test Button on each of the dimmer channels that is at full.

Blown TRIACS. Sounds like a service call in my future.
What would of caused this? Overloaded channels?
Unfortunately there are several typical scenarios:
A lamp expires and its filament shorts out as it dies overloading the dimmer and blowing a protective fuse chosen by the manufacturer to fail before the TRIAC or SCR.
End user thinks: "Hmm. . . Lights not working, it was working a few minutes ago. I know, I'll try another dimmer. Plugs shorted lamp into next dimmer and blows its fuse too. End user thinks: Hmm. . . That dimmer used to work. Two bad dimmers in a row. I guess I'd better try another. Poof! Three blown fuses in row. Go figure! End user thinks: I guess this dumb manufacturer didn't know how to choose fuses. I guess I'd better buy some bigger fuses. End user installs new, appreciably higher rated, fuses and plugs in the same (shorted) lamp. Poof! This time the TRIAC or SCR blows to protect the fuse. [Note my sick and sadistic attempt at humor.] This is pretty much an all too typical scenario when you find two or three dimmers in a row with blown fuses and / or blown TRIAC's or SCR's.
Servicing shouldn't be too bad if you're handy with a meter and controlled heat soldering iron.
No, you don't want to use the same iron you used to use to install your metal eavestroughs.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

We had this happen to a channel on one of our 9800s. It's a pretty simple fix if you're handy with electronics. The part number is PC044-N00-000 ($34 when we bought from Barbizon this summer - original part was "NSI Corp PCB-00043-0," but this is the replacement). No soldering required. Just unplugging wires, unscrewing lots of screws, and applying some heatsink compound to the new parts.

Specifically:

1.jpg 2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back