Control/Dimming Help with controlling pixel steps with a lighting console...

good afternoon everyone. I'm looking to put together a rig of LED pixel tape that I would like to control from my lighting console. the console is using on this show is a Jands Vista S1.

Here's my original thoughts and please correct me as you find flaws.

I have a copy of Resolume Arena 5 and of the Jands Vista Software. I was planning on doing all the mapping via ARTNET on Resolume along with displaying videos/motion graphics on the Pixel tape.

Where I get stuck is figuring out how to send effects from my lighting console to the tape. can I network it all together somehow to send data from both the console and the Resolume rig?

thanks for the help!

ArtNet does support the merging of universes from 2 separate controllers. The receiving ArtNet node must support this feature. Looking at Jands Vista S1, it only appears to support DMX out. A missing piece of information is how the pixel tape is being controlled.

ArtNet does support the merging of universes from 2 separate controllers. The receiving ArtNet node must support this feature. Looking at Jands Vista S1, it only appears to support DMX out. A missing piece of information is how the pixel tape is being controlled.

I'm open to ideas on how to do this. I've heard of people just hooking everything to a network switch and it just working. Or should I be sending signals from both the computer and the S1?

don't know about the software/console end but you are going to need some kind of dmx-to-pixel driver and possibly a artnet-to-dmx converter. there are many out there some pretty basic and some very advanced. I personaly have the dmxking eDMX4 TX/RDM for my artnet converter. for my pixel converter I have a bunch of cheep Chinese converters with the only settings are the dmx start channel. my setup is 640 pixels/1920 dmx channels spared across 4 dmx universes all controlled with lightfactory.

don't know about the software/console end but you are going to need some kind of dmx-to-pixel driver and possibly a artnet-to-dmx converter. there are many out there some pretty basic and some very advanced. I personaly have the dmxking eDMX4 TX/RDM for my artnet converter. for my pixel converter I have a bunch of cheep Chinese converters with the only settings are the dmx start channel. my setup is 640 pixels/1920 dmx channels spared across 4 dmx universes all controlled with lightfactory.

I've been looking into ENTTEC's line of pixel drivers. They have a very nice rack mounted version that you ran cat6 to all the pixel tape. I'm thinking about going that route.

I can happily recommend Enviromental Lights individually controllable LED tape. We used ~50 meters of the RGB PixelDMX product that does the DMX decoding on the tape and only requires power and DMX for input. It was more robust than I expected and we had 0 LED chips arrive dead or fail during assembly. I also really like their RGB PixelPro product that requires an external DMX decoder, but is more flexible as far as cut lengths. They sell reasonably priced external decoders and power supplies also.
As far as your networking goes either decoder just takes a line of DMX in so you would just run it straight from the node. Cheap nodes don't always like to receive Art-Net from multiple sources, but once it's outputting into DMX the tape just does what it's told.
Word of warning the PixelDMX "pixels" are pairs of consecutive LED chips rather than having complete control of individual LED chips. This worked for us but would not be desirable for every application.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back