Help with EDI dimmer parts

porkchop

So I don't know exactly where things stand so I have to leave a few details out, but basically we have a bunch of EDI SCRimmer Road Racks in the 2x2x6 and 2x2x12 configurations. It looks like our current parts supplier and repair house are no longer going to be able to help us with any kind of service. Anyone know of a place that might still sell or more importantly repair EDI parts? The company I work for is based out of the south, but really location isn't a big issue if there is a solid service shop that will work on our really old stuff.

Since this doesn't look like it's going to get any easier to maintain our gear we're also going to look at replacement stuff. Any suggestions for good touring dimmers other than the ones made by ETC?

Last edited:
Are the cards going out or is it just power cubes? I have 4 EDI 12 packs as my main dimming system and I get "all" my parts from production advantage. Beyond the controller cards, the only other thing to blow out in these things is the power cubes themselves. I believe both my packs and yours use the standard dual 2.4k power cube which you can pick up for 60 bucks.

Just how old are they? If they are the old analog 2.4k SCRimmers, I have a bunch of parts rotting in the shed. (63 amps SCRs, whole units, etc.)

Footer: Control cards and DMX Isolators are our main problems, the internals are have been happy enough that I think we have enough spare parts to keep them alive for a while. We have more than enough of 2x2 dimmer cards that we'll be alright there too (that's what I'd call what I'm guessing you are calling power cubes). I'll look into Production Advantage, do they do repair or just sales?

Derek: WE want ETC, but the company is going to want to save money so I need to look into other possibilities that are going to be able to take the abuse of international touring.

JD: They are the old analog style, other than the SCRimmer packs do you have any control cards (24 or 48 channel) or DMX isolators?

Sounds like what I have is even older yet! Each 2x2 plug in module contains everything; Power transformer, ramp gen, firing circuit, 4 SCRs, and breakers. The rack frame only contains the filter chokes and the power outlets. They run off of 2 to 7.6 volt control from an analog board. I think the 12x2 rack frame weighs as much as I do!
Also have a 6x2 SCRimmer or two, SCR's are good, but a mouse peed on the control card! Bunch of the 6x1 SCRimmerets buried back there too. All worked when they went back there 20 years ago. Drug one out of there about a year ago and fired it up, just to see if I should trash them, but it worked, so I kept the lot.

Derek: WE want ETC, but the company is going to want to save money so I need to look into other possibilities that are going to be able to take the abuse of international touring.

Strand came out with a touring rack awhile back that I was told was pretty decent and extremely light weight. I don't know of anyone who has actually took it out on the road though. Strand also still makes the CD80 pack in both a 12x and 24x configuration. I would put this thing on the same level road worthiness as a sensor portable rack. Not quite on the same level as a sensor 48 rack, but they will work if they are in a proper flight case. If you are not going ETC, go Strand. You might save a bit of cash. If you aren't going to go with either of these companies, you might as well just have a case of these delivered at each venue. Lighttronics/NSI/Leprecon all make dimmers, but I would not take them out on the road if my life depended on it. I have seen permanent installations with the dimmers where 1/2 of them are dead over 1 year... I think they would survive a truck trip.

The Leprecon dimmers travel decently enough, I don't like their boards but the dimmers seem fine. Litronics are OK for rental gear, don't know that I would make an extended trip with them. NSI are nice for the boat, not much for traveling.

So I don't know exactly where things stand so I have to leave a few details out, but basically we have a bunch of EDI SCRimmer Road Racks in the 2x2x6 and 2x2x12 configurations. It looks like our current parts supplier and repair house are no longer going to be able to help us with any kind of service. Anyone know of a place that might still sell or more importantly repair EDI parts? The company I work for is based out of the south, but really location isn't a big issue if there is a solid service shop that will work on our really old stuff.

Since this doesn't look like it's going to get any easier to maintain our gear we're also going to look at replacement stuff. Any suggestions for good touring dimmers other than the ones made by ETC?

Hi There!
Send me an email with a phone# and I will ask my old EDI contacts.
Tracy

Just how old are they? If they are the old analog 2.4k SCRimmers, I have a bunch of parts rotting in the shed. (63 amps SCRs, whole units, etc.)

Do you still have these? We have two portable EDI packs that have six dual modules. A couple of the modules failed and I'm looking for parts until we replace them next year.

Thanks, Ben

Users who are viewing this thread

Back