Help with finding fixtures and a board

Hello everyone, I consider myself to be an amateur lighting designer and theater technician. No education really except for what I have learned through the internet.

For the past four years now, and now permanently, I have a job as a lighting designer for a dance recital performance. The company that hires me is a small dance studio. They rent the local high school theater for their annual performance. The theater is already equipped with a lighting system; however, I feel it doesn't do what I want it to do. Most of the lighting seems old. I have been using their board, a Leprecon LP-1600 with a total of 72 actual sliders on the board.

Each year, I hope and try to incorporate new designs for lighting; however, things always turn out very simplistic because the lights I need just aren't there. It is mostly I use all the fixtures at their maximum intensity, or maybe some darker preset and that is just about it.

I would love to add more color specific presets like mostly blue lighting for a specific scene; however, when I program all of those lights it comes out too dark. I also like to add more effects or light transitions.

I was thinking of getting my own equipment to setup in the theater. I've come to realize, I have been wanting my own equipment for quite some time but I've always wanted to buy everything I want all at once and I just never have the money. So I recently decided to get things in parts as I can afford them.

I realize I get what I pay for, but ideally I want to start with this one show and hopefully start my own business kind of like a DJ, but just lighting. I know another theater that I might be able to do their performances provided I can get the equipment. Either way, I want to start with this one show and build on to my own personal lighting system.

I have been trying figure out what would meet my needs best, and right now my needs are basic. I just want the following:

- Clear Strong Colors Flooding the Stage
- Clear Crisp Spot Lighting
- Some Uplighting for Black Curtains
- Some Effects (Ex: Strobes, Black Lights, etc.)

Since my budget is virtually nothing, I wanted to get the basic essential key equipment first. I ordered a Elation Stage Setter 24 board as a starting point. I am planning on daisy chaining some DMX LED Par Cans and a few effect lights such as black lights and strobe lights together and into the board for most of the lighting.

I was planning on having multiple fixtures on the same channels. Like I wanted six of the LED par cans to project lighting on the six of the black curtains, three on each wing of the stage. I was looking at a par can that took up four channels that way all six of those fixtures can be addressed to the same four channels, to save space on the board.

I am looking for help for finding the right board and light fixtures for what I need now. I know I already bought a board, but I want to know what would be best for my needs right now.

Also, whatever equipment I get that does not get used, will be donated to the school. I do want to help them out some.

Elation has a couple of Show Designer 2 CF controllers on their current B-Stock list. This console gives you 1024 channels of DMX and the following:

• 2 Universe Outputs
• 1024 Total DMX Channels
• Large Fixture Library
Effects Engine
• 1152 Programmable Chases
• 4752 Programmable Scenes
• 1152 Programmable Shows
• 1152 Programmable Presets
• Control 48 moving light fixtures of up to 32 channels each
• 48 Fixture groups
• 8 faders allow control of 32 DMX fixture channels or as 32 scene masters
• Scene Preview with "Go" feature
Factory ready Color, Gobo, Focus & Effects Presets!
• Easily Name Scenes, Chases or Shows using Standard Computer KEY BOARD!

MAP is normally $ 1499.95 - The B-Stock units are going for $ 1058.58

Elation Professional - Professional Lighting Products

I would hold off on strobes and blacklights for now; for the money they have limited usefulness. Led pars would be my next move. You can use them as uplights for scenic elements, or throw them on some booms for side light. RGBA, should be the minimum you are looking for. You can do a lot in dance with some good sidelight and curtain lighting.

What other fixtures are available in the space where you currently do shows? An inventory could help us determine where your money is best spent to fill in the gaps.

Currently most of the lighting already provided are 6 scoops, three on each side of the stage, multiple fresnels and one or two strip lights to flood the stage, and then a few ellipsoidal reflector spotlights.

Yeah, I've noticed that strobes and black lights aren't something I should focus on. I would mainly need a strobe, but since I can program chases on my board, I can do fast chases and skip the strobes for now.

I am really looking at LED pars, but I just watched a recent production that Ken Billington designed the lighting for and I was impressed with the simplicity. I am really looking into pinspots as well now. I absolutely love how he used these intelligent lights and I feel I could do something similar but with much cheaper pinspots. The show I am referring to is London Rocks! at Busch Gardens. I absolutely love that lighting. The show just debuted and I've been trying to figure out what pars they use. They look quite big actually.

You might want to take a look at Blizzard Hot Box 5 fixtures. they have RGBW and UV built in with strobe features. They are around $250 a piece.

LED PARs are excellent for special effects, strobes, and colour changes. You could probably find a couple cheap S4s somewhere.

Thanks for the recommendations and help! I am really just looking for basic LED pars for flood lighting. I mentioned in another thread that I was looking at an Adkins Professional Lighting 18 RGB LED fixture for $25 each. I think this will suit my needs for just basic flood lighting.

If anyone has any other advice, I'd love to hear its - thanks again!

The 100 or so watt (4 in 1, 5 in 1, and so on) rating on those Hot Box 5’s may be a good benchmark. Less light than that may not make a difference. Purchasing one of those less expensive ones to test may be worth the $.

Board wise the cheapest rig would probably be a laptop driven program. I use Chamsys (just a mouse) to run on average 24 dimmers, 6 movers, and some LED pars. If you figure out how to get a good setup going, it's very powerful. If you pick up an Art-Net node, you have a lot of options later on down the road to play with other software or to add another universe to a console with.

Just my $.02

Board-wise, I think I've made up my mind. I currently have an Elation Scene Setter 24 and I'm looking to upgrade it to the Elation Scene Setter 48. I've just now come to realize that channels can fill up really fast especially if you don't want to have multiple lights on the same channels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back