Help with Gobo Holder

lieperjp

For a show I'm doing I would like to use gobos for a night forest scene. However, I'm not sure how this type of gobo holder works! (I've only used the square kind)

proxy.php

I did some searching but I could only find them for sale and no instructions. The fit inside the S4 Jr but they seem to small - they slide in all the way to the handle and then wiggle around inside the fixture. Something tells me that isn't right. I've also tried them in my S-C Lekos but the same thing happens - it doesn't secure.

These are going in a S4 Jr Zoom. I know these are not B sized gobos, but I'm not sure they are M sized gobos. The gobo is 2.5 inches in diameter - is that size M? At the widest point the holder is 2.75 in wide.

That is an M size holder for a S4 Jr. They are supposed to "wiggle" as you can't rotate the barrel.

im not sure about it being m sized but I have used them in S4 Jr Zooms and they work fine

icewolf posted as I was writing so yes they are m

That is an M size holder for a S4 Jr. They are supposed to "wiggle" as you can't rotate the barrel.

Really? It just doesn't seem right that it could slide in all the way to the plastic.

What is the little triangle cut out at the top for?

Really? It just doesn't seem right that it could slide in all the way to the plastic.

What is the little triangle cut out at the top for?

Yup, they do, and there are some manufacturers of A and B size holders for standard S4 fixtures that do the same. I believe the triangle punch out helps hold the template all in one plane within the fixture.

The gobo holder shown in the original post should work well in a S4 Jr Zoom, and indeed- 66mm M size is what the doctor ordered.

Were you able to get this situation resolved?

From- http://www.texasscenic.com/ETC Sheets/7062L1010_Source_Four_jr_Zoom_Spec_Sht_vD.pdf

Source Four jr Zoom Accessories
Model Description

400JZK Source Four jr Zoom upgrade kit*
400CC C-clamp (included)
400SC Safety Cable
400JRS Drop-in Iris
400CF Colorframe
400DN Donut
400TH Top Hat
400HH Half Hat
400GE Gel Extender
400PH Pattern holder (M size)****

Don't know if of any help but 3M Scotch brand #69 high temp. electrical tape is very useful on gobo holders to tape a gobo to the gel frame holder.

If it's that loose, it's possible you're putting it in the large iris / accessory slot (with the sliding cover with two screws) rather than the gobo slot, which is right against the shutter.

I was talking about the upper edge of gobo holders in 3 point support - taping the gobo to the holder at the upper part so it don't get bent and stuck while extracting it. Could probably use Tack Tape for this purpose also as an add on note but I don't think it will remove as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back