help with linkedin profile

Dagger

I am thinking about making a linkedin profile. Here is what I am thinking of putting in .

Please critique:

2013 -present AV Technician

Set/ strike / operate basic lighting, audio and video equipments

-dimmer patches, power/ signal distribution, focus, basic lighting boards
-basic video switchers/scalers, projectors, screens, monitors, cameras
-analog mixers, wireless microphones, wired and wireless intercom systems, speakers and line arrays

2015- present Scenic Carpenter

-woodworking , props builder
-have all necessary tools to assist master carpenter on site and/or shop

2015-present LED Wall Technician

-assist LED Wall Progammer with set/ strike and patching of signal and power of LED Walls

2018 - present Rigger
basic knowledge in ground and high rigging in corporate, festivals and arena settings.

skills

-leprecon, ETC smartfade, jands vista lighting boards
-breakout room floater

-analog mixers 8-16 ch
-shure wireless microphone systems

-analogway pulse video switcher
-novastar led processor

-woodworking

Did I lay everything out clearly? What are your thoughts? Thanks

All of these things could be put in one category if you are under an LLC.

If you are doing this to job hunt to compile positions you have been in a resume would be better to give you a little bit more detail.

All of these things could be put in one category if you are under an LLC.

If you are doing this to job hunt to compile positions you have been in a resume would be better to give you a little bit more detail.

What if I combine everything like this:

2013 -present av tech, carpenter, led wall tech

Skills
-leprecon, ETC smartfade, jands vista lighting boards
-breakout room floater

-analog mixers 8-16 ch
-shure wireless microphone systems

-analogway pulse video switcher
-novastar led processor

-woodworking

Necessary to list those skills?

IMHO, letting folks know who you are is more than a list of skills. Don’t forget to include achievements. Novastar led processor for _______, _____, and _______________ . Wodworking/carpentry to __________, ___________, and _________. (Tried to send you a PM but was blocked.)

Your bullet points equate almost to a list of skills I would put in a resume. LinkedIn allows you more freedom to develop a personal narrative. What story are you trying to tell? What did you accomplish in each of these positions? What did you learn and how did you apply that on other gigs? think of SOAR - (Situation, Obstacles, Actions, Results) or STAR (tasks instead of obstacles). Let that frame the narrative you want to tell. I tend to lump like gigs together, but you certainly can do it differently. Here's mine: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jonathanliles/ My theatre related activities are listed under volunteer activities - thise help to tell a story too!

If you are wanting to work in regional theatre LinkdIn is pretty useless. If you are looking to work for organizations in our industry that are for profit it’s very useful! What kind of job do you want to move on to? As a whole, our industry is hurting right now fir labor, across the board. I guarantee you that if you roll up to a IATSE local, production company, regional theatre and can take direction plus show up on time, you will be working.

Put together a LinkdIn but you need to tailor it to where you want to go.

Where do you reside in the U.S?

Why not look for folks doing what you want to be doing and use their profiles as a baseline to create your own? The search function on LinkedIn is decently robust.

That being said, I’m a freelancer and in a decade being on the platform I can’t say it’s materialized into a lot of work. In the last 2 years as folks have needed COVID covers I’ve gotten a few messages from folks reaching out blind based on the body of my work, but otherwise it seems to be a tool primarily for producers to snoop and for AV companies to look for full-time labor - at least in my market.

More "social" media that tracks you physically via the phone app and electronically via web cookies and similar technologies, disguised as a professional connection service. I'm so glad my retirement is imminent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back