Design Help with programming/organization of Lustr

Garry G

Hello,
my high school just got an renovation of technology. We have received 80 new lustr's, 25 etc colorsource pars, and between the 2 spaces 32 etc cyc lights. In our inventory, we have around 45 conventional source 4s plus many fresnels, pars, and other types of leds and movers.

the lustr's will now become the main source of area or key lights then using the conventional lights for gobos, specials, etc once we run out of lustr's.

in the past, when i design the shows, i create groups based on the areas of the stage. I then create a magic sheet with those areas. I also have color,beam, and focus pallets for the intelligent lights we have.
My issue is how do i deal with all of these lustr's in terms of organizing them into groups and then put them on a magic sheet since they dont simply come on and off when i click on the area they have color options.

i dont want to have to click on every single light in an area and then pick the color from there. Is there a way, with maybe a preset or something, that i can set the lustr's on a magic sheet to always come up with the basic warm and cool i pick and then on another magic sheet be able to select individual instruments in the area if i want a different color?

it has been suggested that i us multiple magic sheets for different aspects as well as direct pick pages?? i am rambling on but it is over whelming right now to wrap my head around how to deal with all of these lights. i am sure i need adapt how i have programmed in the past but not sure who i need to change.

thank you for any advise.
garry

I’m not sure I see your problem. Select the fixtures ( using a group or dragging with the mouse on your magic sheet). Just like conventional fixtures. Set an intensity. Set your color by:

One trick re magic sheet. You can add a color swatch in the channel display. This makes it easy to see an approximation of what color the fixture is at.

I feel like I am missing something obvious about your concern.

With the color option comes the extra click/touch.

It’s the way of life.

You could go old school and assign the color channels for those light to some faders if you have some to spare. Then just grab the fixtures you want with the sheet and run the Fader on the color you want.

Perhaps you just mean you don't usually like the default color they come up in with all the emitters at full?

If that's the case, you can change the default color by defining a Home Present. Put the Lustrs in a color that you like, then record a preset (I usually use 999).

Then under Setup>System Settings define the the home preset as 999 or whatever you chose. Then they'll come up in that new default, unless you specify otherwise.

Perhaps you could record each area, with your selected warm and cool, as a series of submasters; instead of selection groups.
Then I would hope there is a way to create a magic sheet icon that can control the subs.

Buttons or sliders on magic sheets can control subs, even ones not part of your physical faders.

I've found direct selects (of MS buttons) for both groups and colors works well. With that done the wheel becomes your intensity master! All parameters will be manual so just record to subs or cues as needed.

I find many beginners don't put fixtures in multiple groups. Groups for positions, uses, angles, and whatever may have overlapping fixtures.

Hi Garry,

First off, I see this is your first post, so welcome to the booth! There is quite a wealth of knowledge and experience shared around here, so do be sure to poke around and ask any other questions you might have.

Secondly, you didn't specify what console you have running your new toys. From what you mention, it seems safe to assume that it's one from the Eos family, so I will respond as such (as those above have already done).

Color pallets don't care if all you fixtures are the same color, so one color pallet with everything in your desired mix of warm/cool, plus a master group would suffice for most of your needs. Another way to do it would be to have a group of your normally warm units and another of the normally cool ones, then the respective matching color pallets. As a reminder, presets are like a sub-master or cue and save all perimeters of all selected channels, while pallets only save those of their respective types.
Perhaps you just mean you don't usually like the default color they come up in with all the emitters at full?

If that's the case, you can change the default color by defining a Home Present. Put the Lustrs in a color that you like, then record a preset (I usually use 999).

Then under Setup>System Settings define the the home preset as 999 or whatever you chose. Then they'll come up in that new default, unless you specify otherwise.
This is a pretty powerful, and very convenient feature, I usually use it to set all my movers to a home position that is consistent across my rig, but you can also use it to have them home at a commonly used position.

Don't forget to let us know ends up working best for you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back