Help with repairing Prism Projection Reveal CW fixtures

Ben Stiegler

After replacing a fried SmartFade console at a high end custom furniture maker's showroom, it turns out that a number of the CW (Colorwash Reveal) fixtures are in bad shape. These have physical rotary switches for setting DMX and fixture parameters, along with some LED digit displays.

One unit - the display flashes all 0s, then blanks for a second. Another, the display is totally dead, and setting the rotary address wheels doesn't produce fixture response, tho the cooling fan is running and the fixture fuse is ok.

Prism seems to have folded their tent some time ago. I could really use:

- a maintenance / repair manual
- someone with perhaps a scrap heap of boards and/or power supplies
- possibly a repair depot to ship them (bulky tho they are) off to if I can't repair in the field.

Hoping someone knows these intimately!

Thx

Ben

Their website is a bit wonky. Doesn’t offer much in the way of support. I would fill out the contact sheet and see if they get back to you.

After replacing a fried SmartFade console at a high end custom furniture maker's showroom, it turns out that a number of the CW (Colorwash Reveal) fixtures are in bad shape. These have physical rotary switches for setting DMX and fixture parameters, along with some LED digit displays.

One unit - the display flashes all 0s, then blanks for a second. Another, the display is totally dead, and setting the rotary address wheels doesn't produce fixture response, tho the cooling fan is running and the fixture fuse is ok.

Prism seems to have folded their tent some time ago. I could really use:

- a maintenance / repair manual
- someone with perhaps a scrap heap of boards and/or power supplies
- possibly a repair depot to ship them (bulky tho they are) off to if I can't repair in the field.

Hoping someone knows these intimately!

Thx

Ben
Unfortunately, to all intents and purposes, Prism Projection appears to be out of the entertainment lighting business.

I suggest that a replacement product from a known reputable manufacturer may be the most prudent and pain-free approach.

ST

Their website is a bit wonky. Doesn’t offer much in the way of support. I would fill out the contact sheet and see if they get back to you.

website form is dead - won't send; their tel # is disconnected ... been there already. Looking for a graybeard (or beardess) with the attic full of goodies ...

Unfortunately, to all intents and purposes, Prism Projection appears to be out of the entertainment lighting business.

I suggest that a replacement product from a known reputable manufacturer may be the most prudent and pain-free approach.

ST
yeah ... the budget isn't going to support that ... it was our first conversation. So this is the hail Mary community ask ... if we come up goose eggs, there's always PARs

The problem is: Prism Projection never became a healthy mainstream company, so not a lot of those units actually got into the field. Therefore, not a lot of user community support is available.

You didn't ask for this, but unfortunately I'm now going to provide a short lecture, hopefully to the benefit of our community in the future. Apologies in advance.

When you buy a new product from a company with an unknown track record and limited resources, you takes your chances. In such a case, you need to have your radar up to determine the credibility of the company. It's "due diligence".

And in this case, it was possible to predict the coming train-wreck far in advance, telegraphed by the extreme arrogance of the owner of Prism Projection. IMHO, that person and his company were destined to fail in the entertainment industry. In my less charitable moments, I might say: "It couldn't happen to a nicer person."

I feel sorry for Prism purchasers and the their problems. But, you are in good company--some big companies have been affected and there have been lawsuits. However, see "due diligence" above.

I'm done now.

ST

The problem is: Prism Projection never became a healthy mainstream company, so not a lot of those units actually got into the field. Therefore, not a lot of user community support is available.

You didn't ask for this, but unfortunately I'm now going to provide a short lecture, hopefully to the benefit of our community in the future. Apologies in advance.

When you buy a new product from a company with an unknown track record and limited resources, you takes your chances. In such a case, you need to have your radar up to determine the credibility of the company. It's "due diligence".

And in this case, it was possible to predict the coming train-wreck far in advance, telegraphed by the extreme arrogance of the owner of Prism Projection. IMHO, that person and his company were destined to fail in the entertainment industry. In my less charitable moments, I might say: "It couldn't happen to a nicer person."

I feel sorry for Prism purchasers and the their problems. But, you are in good company--some big companies have been affected and there have been lawsuits. However, see "due diligence" above.

I'm done now.

ST
Hey, Steve - that was quite informative (in the specifics), actually. I didn't specify or buy any of it, ... just the guy on the tail end of the elephant, looking for the pushbroom and shovel. I have seen similar things play out in telecom, hosted VOIP, and smart home automation - leaving trainwrecks behind ... and having the unenviable task of conveying the truth to the current users. Your words will hopefully help others at the head end of their procurement cycles. Oy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back