Help with understanding foot lights. Please?

The New Kid

Situation:

Highschool kid with an up coming school musical and I have the task of foot lighting. I am after any tips, tricks and suggestions that you can give as this is something new to me. A basic explanation of what foot lighting is and how to properly integrate it into the stage would also be appreciated. The teacher co-ordinating the performance has told me that they are to busy to help me with understanding foot lighting. He told me to research it and understand before putting it in practice.

Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated and put to good use.

The teacher's too busy to teach? Eesh.

That being said, there's not *that* much to talk about. Footlights are typically low-profile fixtures at the front edge of the stage, facing upstage. @Lextech mentioned LED tape, but I've also used ColorBlast 12s, ColorForce fixtures, R40 striplights, individual lightbulbs in scallop-shell housings, fluorescent tubes, worklights, Christmas tree lights, and probably a few other things I can't remember anymore.

A few tips:

Low profile is nice, if you don't want your front row audience complaining about having a light in their face. (Especially an older fixture that might leak light out the back.) Sometimes I'll hang lights off the front edge of the stage; a railing in front of the orchestra pit (if it's used) is also typical. On occasion I've used a light that's set by a crew member just prior to use, then struck afterwards -- happens often in dance and musicals. In contrast, sometimes you *want* the audience to go, "Ooh, there's a light there!" But, typically, steer toward the instruments being as invisible as possible.

Footlights developed to help compensate for front lighting from relatively high positions casting odd shadows on actors' faces by filling in light on the face from in front and down low. Depending on other lighting positions you have, they might not be necessary for that purpose anymore. They still provide a particular look and feel ("performing on a vaudeville stage"), and on a few shows I've done a groundrow and only ever ghosted lights, mostly to remind actors not to kick them.

Because they're from in front, and low, and on actors' faces, and much closer than other stage lights, and because most performers aren't used to light coming from that direction, many performers will complain that they're too bright and blinding them. Be compassionate.

In addition to filling in light on a performer's face from below, footlights can also be used for a spooky effect when needed (think the old Halloween trick of holding a flashlight under your chin; only en masse.) Similarly, it's a cool effect to cut from general stage lighting to just one footlight uplighting a soloist. Additionally, you can often use them to cast shadows onto the backdrop, which looks really cool for dance numbers.

Keep that last bit in mind, because for more naturalistic scenes, you won't want to be casting shadows onto the backdrop. It's often a bit of a trick to focus footlights correctly, since you don't want to focus too low and light too much of the backdrop, but also don't want to focus too high and light up the electrics over the stage; but you need to illuminate a performer standing right in front of the footlights, as well as a performer standing midstage, some distance away from them. I've given over to using tilting striplights like the GLP Impression X4 Bar 20 (what a mouthful) or the Chauvet ColorBand Pix M USB to allow for covering both purposes.

Lastly, because footlights are in full view of the audience, and because there often isn't any power or data available on the front edge of the stage, keep all the cable clean and tidy, and make certain all your displays are facing away from the audience. ;)

The teacher's too busy to teach? Eesh.

That being said, there's not *that* much to talk about. Footlights are typically low-profile fixtures at the front edge of the stage, facing upstage. @Lextech mentioned LED tape, but I've also used ColorBlast 12s, ColorForce fixtures, R40 striplights, individual lightbulbs in scallop-shell housings, fluorescent tubes, worklights, Christmas tree lights, and probably a few other things I can't remember anymore.

A few tips:

Low profile is nice, if you don't want your front row audience complaining about having a light in their face. (Especially an older fixture that might leak light out the back.) Sometimes I'll hang lights off the front edge of the stage; a railing in front of the orchestra pit (if it's used) is also typical. On occasion I've used a light that's set by a crew member just prior to use, then struck afterwards -- happens often in dance and musicals. In contrast, sometimes you *want* the audience to go, "Ooh, there's a light there!" But, typically, steer toward the instruments being as invisible as possible.

Footlights developed to help compensate for front lighting from relatively high positions casting odd shadows on actors' faces by filling in light on the face from in front and down low. Depending on other lighting positions you have, they might not be necessary for that purpose anymore. They still provide a particular look and feel ("performing on a vaudeville stage"), and on a few shows I've done a groundrow and only ever ghosted lights, mostly to remind actors not to kick them.

Because they're from in front, and low, and on actors' faces, and much closer than other stage lights, and because most performers aren't used to light coming from that direction, many performers will complain that they're too bright and blinding them. Be compassionate.

In addition to filling in light on a performer's face from below, footlights can also be used for a spooky effect when needed (think the old Halloween trick of holding a flashlight under your chin; only en masse.) Similarly, it's a cool effect to cut from general stage lighting to just one footlight uplighting a soloist. Additionally, you can often use them to cast shadows onto the backdrop, which looks really cool for dance numbers.

Keep that last bit in mind, because for more naturalistic scenes, you won't want to be casting shadows onto the backdrop. It's often a bit of a trick to focus footlights correctly, since you don't want to focus too low and light too much of the backdrop, but also don't want to focus too high and light up the electrics over the stage; but you need to illuminate a performer standing right in front of the footlights, as well as a performer standing midstage, some distance away from them. I've given over to using tilting striplights like the GLP Impression X4 Bar 20 (what a mouthful) or the Chauvet ColorBand Pix M USB to allow for covering both purposes.

Lastly, because footlights are in full view of the audience, and because there often isn't any power or data available on the front edge of the stage, keep all the cable clean and tidy, and make certain all your displays are facing away from the audience. ;)

We use a flap of gaffer for displays. Attached only at the top, it kills the light but allows easy troubleshooting. (We had some that the display faced the house).

Back to footlights, old OLD school (vaudeville) stages sometimes had built-in disappearing fixtures. As those houses usually only had a balcony rail FOH (pre-ERS and halogen), it was the only other front option. They folded into the deck when not needed, a tech used a tool to pull them out again. These were run back to the main stage switchboard, as was normal those days.

Additionally, you can often use them to cast shadows onto the backdrop, which looks really cool for dance numbers.

Can be very effective when needed. I used a row of PAR 64s as footlights coloured in Lee 725 (old steel blue) and lit the cyc with Lee 106 (primary red) which gave a muddy colour where they mixed, but bright red shadows, while the talent were spookily uplit in a bluey green. This was for one scene in a young player's production of dracula, where the massed vampires were rising (complete with low fog), so the bluey green on the faces gave a nice undead look. The shadows of course were very exaggerated due to the low angles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back