Here's a "bright" idea - Government Seeks to Replace Incandescent Bulbs

Thanks Ship for leading the way in the recycle world. I think a lot of us out here would do it if we understood what the impact is of just tossing stuff and if we knew how to get rid of things safely. Keep up the good work and share with us when you learn more about options for recycling.

I'm all for a concept in refund for your import recycling terriff refunded when you return to place of purchase the lamps you bought.

As a retailer of lamps I could absorb what small amounts of them I sell in giving back to the customer a percentage off the lamp cost. I in turn recycle by way of my own suppliers or if in my case in being large enough submit my recycling recipts to the manufacturers so as to get that part of the tax removed from what I pay. Just a concept however, this between the supplier giving refunds and collecting up the old lamps, and you doing the best you can.

On the political front, I'll sit by the side lines. While good poicy does help and enforce change, good policy does not happen much these days where the politics of re-election as opposed to doing the job properly gets in the way. I expext lots of those in California will become re-ellected for having taken a stand on this. This even if the stand to the extent I understand says they took a stand that some time in the future someone should do something about this. Nope, nothing eleven years from now might happen. But they certainly did something. This much less it's a secondary type of resulting cause which hs it's own problems in solution but not a primary cause.

How much time was wasted in preforming for votes and in passing a nothing law? What in the end did it accomplish beyond something they could say they voted for and what a great solution it will be - some day if those that follow do what they are now tasked to at least consider doing by way of what's on paper recommended for them to do.

Let's say I can provide the serial number, purchase order and date of purchase to at least 3/4's of the lamps in that 55gal. drum and my suppliers could easily support this by way of supplying their own info by way of importing these lamps info. As opposed to a very cost prohivitive price of $1K per drum to do the correct thing and still paying that extra domestic import landfill tax for them, shouldn't I be able to apply for a refund on those taxes given a real recycling has in fact happened as opposed to such a terriff just going into a general revine fund?

Add your PAR and all lamps to your bottle recycling containers, your aluminum cans too trashed to use to aluminum recycling etc. Do more efficient lamps - say Ban the FEL if not even say the EHD, and wait not ten years for the incandescen lamp to become obsolete but wait a year in forming such laws to the reality.

Last edited:
Does anyone else think California and Washinton DC need to fall off the edge of the Earth...

Yes but it has absolutly nothing to do with this thread ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back