HES x.Spot Data Issue

JWilsonLX

Posted in the HES forum too, but here in hopes of a faster reply:

I have a 4:1 x.Spot with around 2000 hours on it and when I came into the theatre this morning, I discovered it wouldn't strike on startup or respond to data from the controller(ETC Ion, running 1.9.8).

The fixture displays no errors and DMX tests clean up to the fixture(it's the last in the chain, but the DMX thru also shows as working). We also brought an ETC Smartfade to the unit to test with and still got no response.

If anyone has any info as to how to go about fixing(or at least further troubleshooting) this issue, I'd be eternally grateful. Show opens in 3 days and finding a replacement before then is out of the question. Thanks!

It sounds like the DMX receiver chip may be bad. Often those chips are socketed and can be swapped/replaced fairly easily, but it does involve opening up the fixture. It may also be worth giving High End's phone support a shout to see if they have any recommendations or have run into this before.

Does the x.Spot ever go into DMX shutdown mode? Will it go into shutdown mode after having DMX physically unplugged?

Don't know the x.Spot that well, but this problem is kinda standard. First if the light has multiple inputs (aka 3 pin and 5 pin) grab an adapter and test data into the other input. It's a long shot, but it's really easy to do. If that doesn't work open up the base of the unit, give a good look at all the cables running around the data input and make sure everything is connected and not crispy fried. Sounds stupid, but again very easy. If everything looks alright and you have another known working x.Spot you can swap out either the DMX chip or the whole DMX card (depending on which is easier for you).

SIDE NOTE: There's probably something like a 99% chance that even if this doesn't fix the light it won't hurt the component that you took out of the good light, but you should be aware that there is a very slim chance that the known working card or chip could be damaged in this process. To minimize this chance make sure the fixture is turned off AND unplugged before you start messing with cards.

If you chose to swap out just the chip, and it doesn't work, re-install the good chip in the card in the known working light (retesting the light to make sure it's still working is a good idea) and then replace the whole card. If you get to this point where you have replaced the whole DMX input system (flush mounts, card, chip, any questionable cables, etc....) and the light still won't play nice with you you probably need to send it to a certified repair tech. Troubleshooting motherboard issues can be very expensive and often require a very specific knowledge of the unit in question. And if you get this far into the repair and still don't know what's wrong the mobo is where I would guess your issue is.

Unplug the data cable then unplug the fixture from the power source and plug it back in. Make sure the plug has its ground properly connected. These fixtures do some very strange thing without the ground. After it has completed its homing cycle then plug in the data. Sometimes they freak out when receiving data while starting up. Especially if they are not addressed correctly. There are no user replaceable data receiver chips. Everything is connected into the internal CPU data bus. Let us know what happens. Also run the fixture through a self test cycle to make sure everything is working correctly.

Thanks for all the input. I gave a call to HES tech support the morning after posting and they suggested many of the same things you guys did. Eventually, we traced the problem to the CPU(likely a bad DMX receiver as, HansH suggested) which was a painful $325 to replace(especially when, given a little more time for shipping, this would have been a real option) but it got the job done.

Thanks again for all the input here. Here's hoping we can squeeze another 5 year out of the fixture now:rolleyes:.

You can ship the CPU back to Highend and they can repair it for you. They have repaired lots of my xspot boards. My favorite problem was te CPU that went crazy and would lock the fixture at dmx address 513.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back