Hey ETC, Don't kick us when we are down

I have a XP based Element that we have owned since 2014. I was planning on sending the console out over the summer of 2020 when we are slow to do the windows 7 update so the console can continue to be rider friendly. Well, covid, lockdown, furlough for 420 days, building locked solid, no cash flow or even someone to run a PO for the upgrade let along staff to pull the desk and ship... So, came back on payroll yesterday for the first time since March 12th 2020 to start get things operating again. Running through my over a year old to-do list and came across this item. Emailed my local ETC dealer to get a quote on the update. Was told "ETC put the brakes on any more upgrades, no exceptions".

So, the company that is supposed to be the end all be all of long term support just end of lifed my 7 year old console during a full shut down of the entertainment industry. When we all left version 3.0 wasn't even out. So now, I have a choice to either buy a new console to hit riders or have to verify in every single advance that 3.0 is not needed. I'm beyond annoyed by this move. If I have to replace the console we will not be going with another ETC desk. I'm fine with the deciding to stop the upgrade process, but doing while nearly every single performance venue in the country is mouthballed is beyond crazy plus the time the 3.0 update came out of the time this program was killed was 6 months. Come on ETC, keep this program going until after the industry gets back on its feet.
So I've got to ask something nobody thus far has: How often do you get a rider that is THAT specific about console AND code? If they care THAT much they'd carry a desk. If not, you can rent a board for that ONE show in the next three years that NEEDS the new version. I can't imagine any self-respecting tour manager going out needing a brand new version of code and not having a back up plan.

So I've got to ask something nobody thus far has: How often do you get a rider that is THAT specific about console AND code? If they care THAT much they'd carry a desk. If not, you can rent a board for that ONE show in the next three years that NEEDS the new version. I can't imagine any self-respecting tour manager going out needing a brand new version of code and not having a back up plan.

^^^ This.

If your show requires a Unicorn Console, you'd better be carrying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back