Hey from Massachusetts ^^

Lisa

Hey all!

I've been looking for a community like this for a Wicked long time [Good musical, while we're on the topic ^^ ]. I'm from California, go to school in Massachusetts for the cold parts of the year. :D I'm mostly interested in Stage Managing, but I routinely run tech crew, light board, sound board, build sets, etc. Currently working on a 2 hour dance/singing conglomeration of 16 songs loosely based on New York, which should be interesting. Goes up in May. :)

Anyway, musical theatre is my anti-drug: Joseph ATD, Cats, Chorus Line, H2S, etc. My favorite play of all time is definitly The Importance of Being Ernest, though. :D

That's all for me. :)

Lisa

Hi, Lisa.

Welcome!!

Yay! Another person from MA! Where are you going to college (if you dont mind saying... if not that's fine!) if you havent realized it yet, there are ALOT of colleges in MA! (50 in 50sq miles near Boston for example!)

Welcome to Controlbooth.com, I hope you continue to make posts around the site!

-The official welcome wagon (part 2)

It's a boarding high school, actually. ^.^ There are about a billion of those out here too.

Lisa

Hey Lisa,

It's good to see you here. Then again I could just see you at commons (the dining hall).

Lisa goes to my school and would always ask me what I was doing when she saw me reading the forums at Controlbooth. It's good to see that she joined.

All the best.

Ah ok cool. You might be one of the schools that always cream my school in just about every type of interschoolastic compition there is (except soccer). Currently my school is getting creamed in basktball by all these private schools, and our "as schools match wits" team was creamed by a private school recently.

Anyway, welcome to Controlbooth.com!

PATech said:
It's good to see you here. Then again I could just see you at commons (the dining hall).

Wait, now who's stalking whom? ;) <3

Peter said:
Ah ok cool. You might be one of the schools that always cream my school in just about every type of interschoolastic compition there is (except soccer). Currently my school is getting creamed in basktball by all these private schools, and our "as schools match wits" team was creamed by a private school recently.
Actually, I'm not so sure. ^^ We haven't been doing so well in sports, really, at all. We've been doing rather badly. Except track. ;)

Lisa

Well we dont have a track team (no $ to build a track or buy the equipment!) so that kinda elimates that possibility!

Our Basket ball teams stink (boys have won one game this year, girls havent won a game in at least 2 years!) our other teams arnt as bad, and our soccer teams make it to western MA finals almost every year.

The As schools match wits team has never won a game in as long as anyone can remember! Ya, we have a good school, just small, which means fewer kids to pick from for all these activities (but this also means that kids like me can be involved in a million different activities (i just avoid these loseing sports teams!))

I have no idea how our basketball teams fare - all I know is that they're the ones who get the "cheerleaders" this term. ^^ ;) We're required to take sports at my school, which is kind unfortunate, but such is life.

What sort of stuff millions of activities are yo involved in? ;)

Lisa

I am involved (deeply) with Tech. I just about run all the events that happen in my school's auditorium (no $$ to pay a teacher to do it). I also do Student Council, (kinda acting president without being elected to that position, we didnt elect any positions this year, it's kinda different, but works well b/c it wasnt a popularity contest and the kids who show up are the ones who want to work).

I also am a member of Rennaisnace (a group dedicated to promoting accademic acheivement and general school spirit). I am also active in my Class government. After school I am part of a small group studying for the AP Bio test in our spare time (none of us have taken the class, we are just going to study and take the test). I am President of our schools National Honor Society. I am probably forgeting stuff, but ya, that kinda gives you an idea (the idea that I dont get out of school much!, but hey, it keeps me out of trouble!)

SuperCow said:
I'm at a boarding school too. Good times, good times.

^^ Yeah it is. Where are you, geographically? [Don't want to pry ^^ ]

Peter said:
I am involved (deeply) with Tech. I just about run all the events that happen in my school's auditorium (no $$ to pay a teacher to do it). I also do Student Council, (kinda acting president without being elected to that position, we didnt elect any positions this year, it's kinda different, but works well b/c it wasnt a popularity contest and the kids who show up are the ones who want to work).

I also am a member of Rennaisnace (a group dedicated to promoting accademic acheivement and general school spirit). I am also active in my Class government. After school I am part of a small group studying for the AP Bio test in our spare time (none of us have taken the class, we are just going to study and take the test). I am President of our schools National Honor Society. I am probably forgeting stuff, but ya, that kinda gives you an idea (the idea that I dont get out of school much!, but hey, it keeps me out of trouble!)

@ Peter: You're basically definitly involved in tech if you come here, neh? ^^ Anyway, this student government thing sounds cool. What sort of stuff do you decide/work on? AP bio as an extra random class sounds awesome! I'l actually taking the class, so if you have any questions, I'll do the best I can to answer them. ^^ What particularly are you studying now? Do you meet every day after school? Way to go for self motivation!

My school has mandatory activities, and sports. These are the ones I participate in:

- Debating (IISPSC Champion)
- Admissions Assistant
- Peer Tutoring
- Cadet Band (C\Sgt.)
- School Reach (Which is like your "As Schools Match Wits")
- One sport per term: Frisbee, Badminton, Cycling

And of course all my theater work.

@ Supercow: That's so cool! I admissions assist and peer tutor too. ^^ Cycling is hardcore - I'm impressed.

Lisa

Our student Government bascily is supposto cover everything from policy changes (we ajusted the way Honors are achieved earlier this year) to school spirit events and dances. It is really a group that does everything. We orgainize blood drives and run a student store. We help other student groups with funding (we make a good deal of $$ from the student store) (student council might be buying the tech crew t-shirts! (lumping them with a larger order for other t-shirts they are ordering)).

My freshman and sophmore year it was really just a normal student council with a popularity contest type election in the begining of the year, and 2 months later it was a defunct group b/c the kids who won the popularity contest were not kids who were hard workers. Last year, my school got hit HARD by budget cuts (we lost EVERYTHING including 25% of our teaching staff). Student Council was cut, but me and a few friends got together and orgainized student council meetings anyway. We opened it up to all students and didnt elect any positions. We went from a max of 12 kids being involved (on a good day) to having an AVERAGE of 20 kids attending our all meetings (with some meetings haveing more then 35 kids!). We got ALOT dont last year, without the help of faculty advisors. This year we have advisors back but we still didnt have elections and things are still going well. (I have a college application essay on this topic if anyone really wants to read more, I can make it available online)

moving on.

AP Bio is a cool class. I took Advanced Biology my sophomore year and took BioTech my junior year. (Biotech was a SWEET class where we got to do all kinds of stuff including extract our own DNA (i have mine in a glass necklace/charm type thing still) and even genintically engineer bacteria (we made bacteria that ate different very specific kinds of oils, and made a safe strain of E.Coli glow using Jellifish DNA).

We try to meet one day a week after school for about 2 hours (although we have been having a hard time b/c of the snow recently). Right now all of us (the 3 people that are doing the class) have taken one practice AP Bio test, and now we are working through it going over it and reviewing the stuff as we get to it. I think that is kinda going to be the way we are going to do the class, with a few breaks to do the required labs (the ones that we havent already done in one of the other classes). However, I'll be sure to let you know if I run into any questions!

@supercow: I dont know if I like the fact that your activities are required. I guess it is good that your school makes kids get involved with things that widen your horizons, but I also think it is not necessaraly good that kids are forced to do things b/c then they dont necessaraly take responsibility for doing good things of their own initiative, and may not have the same dedication to the activities. (I am NOT saying that you have any of these problems, just I can see these problems possibly occuring)

It defanatly sounds like you guys have more opportunities as far as the number of things you can get inolved with. My list of activities is basicly the most any student can do, b/c that is all that is offered at my school (again b/c of budget cuts). My school doesnt have frisbee or cycleing, or football, or track, or a million other sports, basicly we have, *soccer, X-country running,* *Basket ball, wrestling, downhill sking, x-country sking,* *baseball, and softball.* (*s seperate seasons, one sport can be played per person per season [not required though])

ok, that's a long enough post! :)

@ Supercow - that's pretty awesome, though. ^^ Is it through the school?

@ Peter - Wow, that's a ton of stuff. ^^ It sounds like you did a lot of work to make it a little more functioning. :D Explain to me this DNA extration business - how does it work? How did you get it into a charm? That's awesome!

@ both of you. ;) Sports are required at my school as well, but that's the only thing. We can slide once in 10th grade year and once between 11th grade and 12th grade winters. I mean, it's not that bad of a requirement, because you can do things like Yoga, but it still is obnoxious. On the other hand, I wouldn't have gotten involved in sports at all if it weren't for this requirement, so that's okay. ^^ I see where youi're coming from though, Peter.

Lisa

Users who are viewing this thread

Back