Hey, I thought we could share pictures of our shows...

Got some pro photos of my current tour:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

A full gallery is on the Squeek Lights facebook page if you want to check it out.

I just designed and built my first set for my school's production of "The Girls of the Garden Club". Funny play. Adult themed for sure and pretty raunchy for an all-girl's school, but it was damn funny. Great experience.

First I learned Sketch and made this.
proxy.php

And then I build a dozen flats and built this.
proxy.php

Fun stuff.

Here are some pictures from Into the Woods that recently closed. The production caught a lot of attention because of the approved casting of Tituss Burgess as the Witch.

Attachments

• IntotheWoods01.jpg
    IntotheWoods01.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 499
  • IntotheWoods07.jpg
    IntotheWoods07.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 467
  • IntotheWoods10.jpg
    IntotheWoods10.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 452
  • IntotheWoods14.jpg
    IntotheWoods14.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 436
  • IntotheWoods18.jpg
    IntotheWoods18.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 457
  • IntotheWoods20.jpg
    IntotheWoods20.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 486
  • IntotheWoods02.jpg
    IntotheWoods02.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 463
Training some at work to run the show I got to snap a few pictures they didn't turn out well but what can a do with an iPad and a moving horse beside cross your fingers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 356
Here's a couple from a unique show we sometimes do. We turn an 800 seat house into an intimate 250 seat "on stage" experience a few times a season. Kind neat to see the Rail all lit up. I'm the LD for this particular series of shows. Taken from my iPhone, sorry for the terrible quality!

proxy.php

proxy.php

Here's a couple from a unique show we sometimes do. We turn an 800 seat house into an intimate 250 seat "on stage" experience a few times a season. Kind neat to see the Rail all lit up. I'm the LD for this particular series of shows. Taken from my iPhone, sorry for the terrible quality!

I really like these! It's always fun to get to light things up that normally you don't!

Here are some pictures from our most recent show - Second Star to the Right. It was a student-devised piece, telling the story of Peter Pan through dance and Cirque elements. I was scenic designer, rigger, assistant aerial choreographer, build TD, performer flyer, and I had a small part in the show. The joys of working in educational theatre.
ss1.jpg ss2.jpg ss3.jpg ss4.jpg ss5.jpg ss6.jpg ss7.jpg ss8.jpg

I really like these! It's always fun to get to light things up that normally you don't!

Yeah it's always a blast doing those! It's fun to see some "civilian" reactions, too, when they see something like that for the first time. Or look up and see all the individual instruments, etc.

Marshall, looks good man!

Were in tech rehearsals for Beauty and The Beast:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Definitely the most active I've been on the sound side if things! 16 wireless packs on an analogue desk plus all music + sfx on my laptop.

We just finished up Shrek the Musical here. My main project was the dragon puppet. I think she turned out fairly well. 21' long, with LED eyes, fog breath, and cable-operated eyelashes and jaw. I had originally built operable, 20' wingspan wings, but they proved to be too unwieldy for the cast members assigned to operate them.
dragon 1.jpg
dragon 2.jpg

image.jpg
It's not the show but "backstage" so to speak.

Here are some pictures of some of the shows I've done

11064615_982867655058441_5942986344149455056_o.jpg

Picasso At The Lapin Agile - Santa Ana College - Light Board Operator, Programmer, Set builder. Lighting Design and Set Design are not by me. Credit goes to Sean Small for that

20140924_123732.jpg
20140928_141003_N Bristol St.jpg
20141010_193013_N Bristol St.jpg

Julius Caesar - Santa Ana College - Set Builder, Sound Board Operator, my first show with the college. Lighting Design and Set Design credit to Sean Small

received_1566236410304426.jpg

Spring 2015 Dance Contest - Just finished patching, onto focus. - Santa Ana College - I was involved in all aspects of the lighting, though primarily programmer and light board operator. Lighting Design credits to Sean Small

All of the above was donce at Santa Ana College with the following gear:
Whole Hog 3
2 x DP2000
ETC+ Sensor Rack with 144 Dimmers
I'm not sure of the exact count on our conventionals for each show, because we change those around alot
8 x Color Scrollers attatched to Star Pars
20 x Selador Vivid-R
8 x Mac Entour 250
8 x Mac Aura
2 x Mac 250
2 x Coemar Pro Spot
2 x Coemar Pro Wash
2 x VL1000 AS
4ish x Roboscan 918s (This number varies wildly as they are failinig like crazy and we can't find parts to repair them anymore)

The rest of the pictures are for events I setup and run lights for. Often proms, homecomeings, etc.

For these ones, the only thing I have control over is the moving lights. I DO NOT design the props, stages, or layouts. I just setup all of the gear as per the design. Hang, address, program, and run all the lights. And at the end of the night I take it all down.
IMAG0014.jpg

This was an old one, I forgot what for, but the setup was huge.

11269521_855128811208477_1009098417283207419_n.jpg

This was 2 weekends ago, decent sized show, most of it was wireless so wireing wasn't to bad.

20150418_2050391.jpg
20150418_225009_Center Ct Dr N.jpg

This was a prom at the Cerritos Theater. Really fun to do, because there are shows there every weekend, so all the gear stays up.

20140426_185536_S Beaudry Ave.jpg

This was right after I finished set up. My boss (seen with the bowl of food) was telliing me to hurry up so he could finish sound check. I was telling him to raise the boom out more. I got the boom out more, he got his sound check. That night was attrocious, because everything was on a slant, making loading and unloading awful, I barely trusted the TVs up on the 8s and 10s, had to get a bunch more sandbags before it felt solid, and I ended up tripping over the booms hydraulic jacks and ripping my leg open :(

All lighting for the event company is done with:
Knock Off LED panels
Knock Off LED Spots
Kock Off LED Washes
Knock Off everything pretty much. I know what the lights are knocking off, but they are of unknown manafacturer, not mine, and I don't have to pay to get them repaired. As long as the show looks good, and they end up back in the warehouse, I'm good.

For lighting boards on those events, I use either an awful, awful Elation basic board, or a slightly less awful Leprecon LP-X48.

I should be hired at the college starting next semester, so I won't have to do the events anymore.

Last edited:
ETC+ Sensor Rack with 144 Dimmers

Wow - Cheers to you for only using 144 dimmers! I'm pretty sure that every dance show (especially festivals!) I design I end up consuming about 250 dimmers or so. Maybe I'm just spoiled though. *looks around pensively*

Wow - Cheers to you for only using 144 dimmers! I'm pretty sure that every dance show (especially festivals!) I design I end up consuming about 250 dimmers or so. Maybe I'm just spoiled though. *looks around pensively*

I wouldn't say you're spoiled. Dance and festivals tend to use alot more Fixtures than other shows. The last rig used at my high school ate up just under 200 dimmers, but then again we have a huge space. I feel like it all depends on the space and the type of show.

Edit: plus with Sensor, dimmer doubling can do just that, double your dimmers. That makes a rack of 144 much more versatile.

The shows at the theater uses nearly every dimmer we have, and then every constant power source in the house for movers and intelligent fixtures. We would love to have more dimmers, however we only have so much power and the dimmers take up most of it, with everything else going to movers and house systems. We had planned on installing another 200 amp distribution box, but that would require digging, and laying a new line into the theater, which is not cheap. On top of that, I'm not even sure their is that power available for us. Having a new line layed from the street would be a huge project. So we are stuck with what we've got.

For the events company, everything is movers, so no dimmers required, just a whole lot of generators, distribution boxes / spider boxes and an ungodly amount of cable. Everything is flash n trash for dancing, though I try to make it look sexy. Though we do use alot of led pars and uplights to light the truss and surrounding area, but that's not my area, and 95% of the time another team manages that part of the setup. The only time it becomes my concern is when I have to control the area lighting in time with the movers, but i still only manage patch and control not setup. I only setup movers, tvs, lighting truss, and sound, and I only manage and control the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back