Hey, I thought we could share pictures of our shows...

This is the first day of tech for our little show. Can you guess what it is? This is one I built myself. The wings are controlled by radio and it will also drive around on stage. Everything is good in my world at the moment.
Stay safe
Regards
Geoff
Is that backdrop painted, projected, a star drop? I'd like to steal that off of you for a show. Nice work!

Is that backdrop painted, projected, a star drop? I'd like to steal that off of you for a show. Nice work!
Hi ACTSTech,
We are using projections for this show available thorough MTI I think. They provide them and they are animated. This is the first time we are using them. I did however build the car.
Regards

Geoff

We opened a show last night. I did double duty as scenic designer and prop supervisor. 100 individual hanging lightbulbs, stretching most of the way out into the house, 2 trees, and close to 50 sq ft of flowerbeds.

Almost Heaven: The Songs of John Denver - The Rev Theatre Company
Director/Choreographer: Brett Smock / Music Director: Corinne Aquilina / Scenic Designer: Marshall Pope / Costume Designer: Tiffany Howard / Lighting Designer: Jose Santiago / Sound Designer: Don Hanna / Hair & Makeup Designer: Alfonso Annotto / Production Stage Manager: Emma Power / Photo credit: @ron Heerkens Jr/ Goat Factory Media

241206094_10159401594116649_6478844198280442397_n.jpeg
241660290_10159401594486649_9033709819797684780_n.jpeg
241356547_10159401594246649_8462746743481078591_n.jpeg
AH w posters wall inst.jpg

Looks amazing!
Can we see your plot or would you like to walk us through your design? I love seeing and hearing designer's process. Even a youtube video would be delightful!

My favorite parts are your different color breakups but there's some play with the eye that I can't tell if the highsides are solid lav/purple or if they have breakups.

Looks amazing!
Can we see your plot or would you like to walk us through your design? I love seeing and hearing designer's process. Even a youtube video would be delightful!

My favorite parts are your different color breakups but there's some play with the eye that I can't tell if the highsides are solid lav/purple or if they have breakups.
I can really only speak to scenic and practicals, but I did look back at the plot and the high sides do have breakups in them.

Across the board, our direction was warm, enveloping homeyness with heightened elements.

I can really only speak to scenic and practicals, but I did look back at the plot and the high sides do have breakups in them.

Across the board, our direction was warm, enveloping homeyness with heightened elements.
The photographer, Ron Heerkins, is a friend, and got started doing theater pics at Blackfriars, where I am. He now does show photos for many theaters around the Rochester, Syracuse, Buffalo area. His work is exceptional.

The photographer, Ron Heerkins, is a friend, and got started doing theater pics at Blackfriars, where I am. He now does show photos for many theaters around the Rochester, Syracuse, Buffalo area. His work is exceptional.
He's definitely one of, if not the, best theatre photographers I've seen.

I handed off the FOH tablet for a couple songs and ran to catch the Mariachi Divas from an unconventional angle last week.

Attachments

• CB2433A5-C379-4BF5-8851-B2029923E49A.jpeg
    CB2433A5-C379-4BF5-8851-B2029923E49A.jpeg
    440.2 KB · Views: 173
JerrysGirls.JPG

This for Jerry's Girls. Pretty simple. The stairs did light in sequence as they descended. Finally found a drummer who could play quietly enough to have him on stage! I put sound deadening behind the front panels, but I don't know how much good it did. Tucked the trumpet behind the stairs and pointed away from the audience.

We are back! Silent Sky at the Central New York Playhouse in its new home in the basement of Atonement Lutheran Church, Syracuse. A homecoming for me as this was once home to Appleseed Productions (and happens to be my church as well). Directed by Dana Comfort, Amy Prieta as Henrietta Leavett, Lighting by Sarah Anson. Photo by AB photography.

Attachments

• Silent Sky (2).jpg
    Silent Sky (2).jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 147
We are back! Silent Sky at the Central New York Playhouse in its new home in the basement of Atonement Lutheran Church, Syracuse. A homecoming for me as this was once home to Appleseed Productions (and happens to be my church as well). Directed by Dana Comfort, Amy Prieta as Henrietta Leavett, Lighting by Sarah Anson. Photo by AB photography.
Just finished that show. Curious how you did the scene where her sister is playing the piano and she realizes the relationship between frequency and distance? I had 16 tiny bulbs across the ceiling and triggered them to the music. Took some 200+ cues using the music as the time code.

Just finished that show. Curious how you did the scene where her sister is playing the piano and she realizes the relationship between frequency and distance? I had 16 tiny bulbs across the ceiling and triggered them to the music. Took some 200+ cues using the music as the time code.
We kept it fairly simple, just some star field gobos there and at the end when they’re at the observatory and for curtain call.

Just wrapped up the first show at the local HS I've done since the pandemic shut down the production a week from opening. We did the same show that got shut down, just with a much younger cast than before, i.e. 5 seniors graduating and for 3, it was their first show.

I am their go to lighting guy. During the shut down period, the entire lighting system was upgraded from an Expression 3 console(I'd only worked with Express/Expression consoles previously) and am entirely conventional rig, to entirely LED rig(including 6 moving lights), controlled by an ETC Ion XE. I'm not really happy with the lighting I was able to deliver this go around, my main excuse being the learning curve on all the new equipment. IO literally didn't know how to even turn a light on the first 2 months, having only been told they were doing the show in January, after being told in October that they weren't doing a show due to mask requirements. My biggest problems being that the new system is a tracking system rather than the level A weeks ago,

Just closed my first show at the local HSA since the pandemic shut down the production 2 yrs ago a week from opening.

I'm their "go to lighting guy", although I work in an entirely different field the rest of the year. I'm very unhappy with the lighting for this years show, the primary reason being that while everything was shut down, the entire lighting system was upgraded from entirely conventional fixtures controlled via an Expression 3(which is the only console family I have experience with, having learned on an Express 24/48 and an Expression 1), and the replace console being an Expression 3.) i.e. I had a massive learning curve just to do the simplest things. I took me up until just a month before the show to figure out how to turn on any non-conventional fixtures, and I'd suggested running the show entirely off sub-masters, as I wasn't sure I could program the board adequately. The other major issue being that I didn't dare move lights around, as I have no clue as to how to repatch the board, and that the new system didn't account for an entire lighting position , up until they were installing, i.e. we have 8 less lekos than expected in key positions. Worst part being that I didn't realize up until less than a week before the show that it was a tracking console rather than the preset system I've worked with in the past. I much prefer preset systems, as it allows me to go into a specific cue and edit, without regards to the impact on other cues.

1649643267286.png

1649643278513.png

1649643287194.png

1649643309227.png
1649643330124.png
1649643344475.png

Just finished a production of the music man for a high school program on Hilton head island. The program is modeled after the college experience in theater.
1E818B72-648E-4016-8ABB-ED8FACD7BF23.jpeg
044D883B-14B1-4508-91E6-A143CD10C8D1.jpeg
4D937DA2-5C13-4DCB-BBD8-FB7EFDEDBE52.jpeg
64338462-A36D-4FCA-9964-07092B7AE3FB.jpeg
D70B20DA-E4BC-4EFC-88F3-DC77F0FE1CB6.jpeg

Attachments

• 201D0611-6DDB-492E-9586-0AB8C8D33726.jpeg
    201D0611-6DDB-492E-9586-0AB8C8D33726.jpeg
    397.6 KB · Views: 105
  • BF2E1D5E-BC21-4EB6-B062-E2B8E6B34780.jpeg
    BF2E1D5E-BC21-4EB6-B062-E2B8E6B34780.jpeg
    317.2 KB · Views: 108
Small High School production of The Little Mermaid. We have very little room back stage which makes for a challenging set design each year. So the ship for this play was a challenge in that it needed to be large enough for a crew yet disassemble for other scenes. So our bow and masts stayed on stage FOC the whole show while the rest of the hull and stern came apart in basically 4' pieces that nested. The magic shell was 3D printed and filled with about 40 LEDs.

Attachments

• DDM_5903 1.jpg
    DDM_5903 1.jpg
    940.2 KB · Views: 146
  • DDM_6105.jpg
    DDM_6105.jpg
    981.5 KB · Views: 147
  • DDM_6345.jpg
    DDM_6345.jpg
    898.9 KB · Views: 148
  • DDM_6451.jpg
    DDM_6451.jpg
    863.4 KB · Views: 147
  • DDM_6868.jpg
    DDM_6868.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 154
  • DDM_5849.jpg
    DDM_5849.jpg
    855.6 KB · Views: 141
  • DDM_6283.jpg
    DDM_6283.jpg
    976.3 KB · Views: 146
Small High School production of The Little Mermaid. We have very little room back stage which makes for a challenging set design each year. So the ship for this play was a challenge in that it needed to be large enough for a crew yet disassemble for other scenes. So our bow and masts stayed on stage FOC the whole show while the rest of the hull and stern came apart in basically 4' pieces that nested. The magic shell was 3D printed and filled with about 40 LEDs.
Well done. Small spaces require big ideas on how to stage. I really like the shell. That was amazing.

Helping a friend with tech and lighting hang on Radium Girls at the CNY Community Arts Center in Fulton NY. Direction and Lighting design by William Edward White, scenic design and art by Navroz Dabu.

Attachments

• IMG_4011.JPG
    IMG_4011.JPG
    397.5 KB · Views: 138

Users who are viewing this thread

Back