Heyco Strain Reliefs

Dustincoc

Any tips on installing them, I end up fighting them for half an hour easily to get them in the cap(360Q).

I'd like to try it but I've decimated the summers budget already and I still need to fix all the non-leko's

So, THATS where you get one of those?!? I've been trying to hunt one down. I assume that since the 360Q strain relief is a rather standard size, and is used on other products, that such a plier would be very useful? But its 45 bucks...but I want one....

I know this is late, but I bought one back in '95 and just today realized that same tool was still doing it's job in the theater I bought it for 13 years ago. It fixed at least one unit for my focus this afternoon. Let's hear it for the Heyco Tool!!

It's a Heyco strain relief tool, many companies offer them including McMaster Carr. Cable Components was my supplier for them at one point but any number of companies offer them.

IN a pinch channel locks (pump handle pliers) will about work best.

There is at least two brands that make this type of strain relief - note the part number on them when buying to match up properly. Should say something like 6P13 or something like that in matching up with what you are getting. Very important to match up this main brand Heyco part number.

Buy the tool, I've got three heyco tools for different sizes, and nothing comes close, as Ship said, you can use channel-locks in a pinch, but they usually booger up the plastic. a reall heyco tool is worth the investment.
"A Man is only as good as his tools!"
That's what I'd say to you. Unless of course you are a girl and then I'd say, "A girl is only as good as her tools!" which would probably make you mad 'cause I called you a girl instead of a woman, then we'd fight about all the womans lib stuff and Char5lie would log on and yell at me.

Buy the tool, I've got three heyco tools for different sizes, and nothing comes close, as Ship said, you can use channel-locks in a pinch, but they usually booger up the plastic. a reall heyco tool is worth the investment.
"A Man is only as good as his tools!"
That's what I'd say to you. Unless of course you are a girl and then I'd say, "A girl is only as good as her tools!" which would probably make you mad 'cause I called you a girl instead of a woman, then we'd fight about all the womans lib stuff and Char5lie would log on and yell at me.

The Heyco tool is adjustable for different sizes of strain relief size. Not really easy to do - that comfounded spring but if you hold it just right you can slip the jaw to a different tooth in setting it to a different size. My note of different part numbers was only and specifically about the strain relief itself if in need of replacement. Hmm, three different Heyco tools... that's extravigant but given the pain in the rear factor in adjusting it I could see that. This given even I don't have three seperate tools in investing in other toys instead.

The Heyco tool is adjustable for different sizes of strain relief size. Not really easy to do - that comfounded spring but if you hold it just right you can slip the jaw to a different tooth in setting it to a different size. My note of different part numbers was only and specifically about the strain relief itself if in need of replacement. Hmm, three different Heyco tools... that's extravigant but given the pain in the rear factor in adjusting it I could see that. This given even I don't have three seperate tools in investing in other toys instead.
Mine must be old then, I got them from an old electrician, each one has a different jaw size.

Argh. PA doesn't have the tool any longer.

Which model Heyco pliers are the "proper" ones to have again?

Ah, Derek, ya never miss a chance to make me look bad. :p

So the R-29's then.

Last edited:
Though I'm hesitent to reply to how much members of the forum refer to PA in a perhaps similar way to how I refer to McMaster, I would have to advise that just because they don't list tool any longer, don't mean for profit, they wouldn't be willing to get it for you.

None the less... overall observation - Heyco is owned by Ainxter Euro division I believe these days as fact. The local domestic branches don't know anything about this buy out and can't help. This not helping as a supplier in being any cheaper than any other source in getting the tools amongst say Cable Components - I think the main supplier bugt could be wrong, McMaster that stocks them also, and or Grainger, Newerk, Allied etc. for the electronics type suppliers that either stock or can easily get the tools. Heck, even Radio Smack could get them if you find someone compitent to get it for you on special order.

This said, there is a second brand for that type of fitting I don't yet know the name to yet. They no doubt have their own strain relief tool and hopefully it's better in ability to adjust for sizes. Not hard to improve the tool generally on the market given that stupid spring clip I think I'll epoxy to the thing so it don't pop. Had at one point my guys searching the floor for the spring they lost in ruining the tool until they found it. Easily bent also this spring that makes it function properly.

Not the best designe tool or one that works when hard, but it's all we have. Following that, well worth the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back