Hi all

When CDS tour to Adelaide they put down a temporary asphalt/bitumen plot that they take up when they leave.

Oh it's a blast here in Portland they have a nice flat spot in an old dry dock area, that they use to set up the tent. I drive by on the opposite side of the river twice a day. It's fun watching it go up, and beautiful at night, all lit up from inside, pretty colors reflecting off the river, the beautiful Portland skyline in the background. Then some jerk starts honking his horn at me yelling about stopping in the middle of Hwy 99E during rush hour. Man some people just can't aprieciate beauty......

BTW they Use local #48 when they are here in town, maybe we have better prices ?

Why Van, you wax almost lyrical.

they put down a temporary asphalt/bitumen plot that they take up when they leave.

they did the same in Melbourne, also they put in giant anchoring points for the tent, about 8 of them

here is a picture of the tent setup this year in melbourne
proxy.php

well i say tent, but it's really tents :)

So I just turned on one of my favorite TV shows called "Really Big Things" on the Science Channel. Guess what they were showing... about 20 minutes on how the Cirque tent is assembled. They start out with the four center masts assembled as well as a variety of anchor points already to go scattered around the perimeter They lay down 35,000 square feet of plastic tarps next to cover the ground. There's a truck that holds the tent at the center of the 4 masts. At 8 am 30 guys showed up for work. They began stretching the tent out in all directions from that center point. It has multiple places where it laces up sort of like a shoe... except it's 3/4" rope. Once it's all laced up they have large rings that go around the masts which are laced and hand cranked up in the air. 16' polls are attached all the way around the edge while short ropes are attached to the perimeter. They go around the tent putting up the edge poles and adjusting the tension so that they stay up. Then a few guys climb up and do some waterproofing around the tops of the masts. That's it 26,000 lb tent up in 6 hours. Very cool.

Oh yeah and it looked exactly the same as the blue and yellow one in the picture above... maybe even the same tent.

*most* of Cirque's tents look like that, enless their custom for that show

the other one i have seen (back in 2005, during Quidam) was reversed blue over most of it rather than yellow

*doesn't melbourne look beautiful in that shot

*....................................*doesn't melbourne look beautiful in that shot

Yeah, but somebody should do something about all the people driving on the wrong side of the road. I have to admit, the scale is all messed up in that picture too, must be Metric film.

:mrgreen:

oh really.......nup i don't remember it, no i think it's a great dream to have
it gives me something to work towards.

seriously, the moment cirque du soleil is meantioned im on this forum in a flash, my alarm clock constantly scans the booth for "CDS" in new posts and wakes me up if it sees anything.....:)

if only......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back