Hi All

rochem

Hello all. My name's Michael. I'm a HS Lighting Designer who's been working extensively with every high school in the area EXCEPT mine due to a control-freak director. Fortunately, I think I'm starting to convince him that he can use some extra knowledge, especially after the "we don't need to use dimmers, we have FreSSSnels" conversation :). My high school has ONE guy who hangs around and does everything - Director, TD, Lighting, Sound, Set, Choreography, Producer, and pretty much everything else except MD. Unfortunately he isn't good at any of them. My school has absolutely no theatre or tech classes whatsoever, so the majority of people just kinda pick up what they know through a combination of guessing and pushing random buttons.

Anyways, I've been a frequent reader of this board for a while now, and just decided to make my first post. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions in the near future, as I've already learned so much here without ever posting. I just got recruited to work a show this summer in a theatre I've never seen on a console I've never used. So it'll be a fun next few months :).

Last edited:
Glad to have you come out of the shadows and join up. Now don't be shy, join the discussion... or at least join the insanity in the off topic forum. By now you know the importance of using search. Welcome! Let us know how we can help you.

Hello,

They say there are no accidents (except for the time my karma ran over my neighbors dogma), but finding this site has been a happy accident for me. I am a general contractor who has been chosen to teach a class on stagecraft at a high school for the performing arts here in California. Now, I can build just about anything, but there are probably a few things I don't know about stages (yes, we have to build ours), sets, lighting etc. Fortunately 10 years as a DJ has me pretty well trained with sound equipment, but I have no doubt I will be a frequent visitor to this site. My first introduction was Ship's 30 page dissertation on building flats, and yes, I have almost finished reading it. Man after my own heart, anything worth doing is worth over doing. Always like to get emails from friendly folks, so I hope to talk to some of you soon.

HDP

Hey Highdesertpirate start your own new member thread and things will be a little less confusing. Just click on the big "New thread" button from the main "new member board" page.

If you are starting out I would advise you to pick up the stock scenery construction handbook. There are many different ways to build sets the key is having a system that works together. That book gives you a complete system to look at. You may decide to alter it however you want and you certainly have the skills to do so, but it will at least show you in detail how someone does it.

and Charc... just because you build a Broadway flat doesn't mean it can't have a hard cover. I build Broadway flats with a hard luan cover AND I cover them with muslin. I get the strength of a hard flat, the easier storage of a Broadway flat, and the much better surface to paint of muslin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back