Hi and a question

jfc123

Hi everyone! My name is jfc123 and I just stumbled upon this forum. I am a high school student going into my junior year at a private school in New England (USA). While I did a little before hand, last year I dove into theater tech full force. At my school I have done light board op, lighting design, sound board op, sound design, video production, stage manager, carpenter, and basically every job you can think of. Last year, I work for two hours after school everyday, as well as very often on weekends teching for various events. My technical teacher is wonderful, and I feel like he has taught me so many things. I plan to continue to do all of this, and more, next year. I am starting an independent study where I will work one on one a few days a week learning all that there is to learn about the theater, as well as continuing all that I was doing this year.

I have a question for you guys, if you do not mind answering. In a few weeks I am going to San Diego, CA for a little over a week. There, I plan to look at a few colleges (or universities. I will use these terms interchangeably for this post.). I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions on colleges to look at there for technical theater(or a list or other post or something that has useful information). A couple of points to note:
1. My GPA is a 3.4, however the classes that I take are extremely difficult. (AP World History as a sophomore, honors for basically every other class), so I can get into relatively good schools.
2. My tentative plan would be to double major in Chemical Engineering and Technical Theater, so it would be good if the college had Chemical Engineering as well (or a strong science and engineering department)
3. I have no interest in acting, and do not want to do this.
4. My favorite part of tech is lighting and sound, I do not enjoy carpentry as much.
5. I have no idea what the name of the major would be, this is a problem I am having. For example, does drama include tech or just acting? Can I take a general major in technical theater or should I choose to just do lighting or sound. (I think that I would prefer everything, but I do not really know.

Thanks so much for reading this far! I would appreciate and help you can give me!

I would look at maybe doing a theater minor, or just taking some theater classes. Having a theater major will require tons of time outside of class for things like mandatory shop hours, and for productions. And you'll need all the free time you can get to study for an engineering degree.

What school are you at if I may ask. I teach at a private school in New England, maybe you're close by. Many undergrads degrees will be general tech and teach all of it. Some places so get more specific and even in the general ones you can still focus more in one area if you want.

A drama degree does not typically mean that those students study tech, however at most schools they are required to help during strike and occasionally on load in. This is more prevalent at smaller schools such as the one I attend.

I can't make any recommendations about which schools to look at but if you find one that you think is interesting I would email someone in their theatre department and ask about their degree programs. Every school is different.

I know a huge number of people who looked for schools without graduate degree programs in theatre tech. Undergrads at schools without such programs usually get more time on the console and more design credits. However, some people think that schools with out grad programs are of a lesser quality. I disagree, but it really depends on a number of factors that change from school to school.

Not that it is particularly relevant, but I am studying Computer Science and Mathematics as a double major at a small school which a very small theatre program.

And as a final note I will say to fret too much. Find a school that suits your dreams and passions, not the other way around. Someone once told me "Unless you go to Yale or Carnagie Mellon", and some other university that I can't remember, "it doesn't really matter".

Last edited:
What school are you at if I may ask. I teach at a private school in New England, maybe you're close by. Many undergrads degrees will be general tech and teach all of it. Some places so get more specific and even in the general ones you can still focus more in one area if you want.
I go to The Governor's Academy. Joe Repczynski is my tech teacher and he is great! He has worked with Blue Man Group and a bunch of other places. Do you know him?

Thanks for all the advice guys! I will keep looking into it and I'll update this thread later for anyone in the future that stumbles upon it. I plan to spend some time around here and am excited to learn even more about tech!

Ah, I'm over in Rhode Island. Only been out here for a few years most of my mass work has been around north Attleboro and Mansfield.

A question, can you afford the out of state tuition?

I don't know what your financial situation is but don't go to school somewhere where where you will graduate with $90,000 worth of student loans.

As mentioned before look at schools with no grad program, this gives you more opportunities to get your hands dirty.

BA or BFA it doesn't matter once you graduate your degree won't matter anymore after two years of working.

Look at trade schools as well, for example the Stagecraft Institute of Las Vegas or dare I say it Full Sail in Orlando.

Having been out of school and working professionally for the past 12 years I have grown disenchanted with undergrad theatre programs as far as the debt students have and for the most part unprepared for the real world, just my two cents 4 years is a long time and potentially a lot of money.

A disclaimer though, I do have a BA in Theatre and while I have been very successful in my career I would recommend any one getting a degree in theatre to get a second degree as well. Business, electrical engineering, education etc. Eventually your body will give out and you'll either want an administration job in the industry, you may want to teach in a H.S or you will want to get out all together.

Think about where you may be 15 years from now, just some thoughts.

I agree with TuckerD, find a school that will teach what you want to learn. I don't really care about the reputation a school has. Talk to the students (not the recruiters) about it and get honest feedback. If you can, find an alum of the school and ask about their degree and its relevance to where they are now/how its helped then in their career. Its more effort that going on a campus tour, but you'll get a better feel for what you're money is going to buy.

I went to Point Park University, a tiny little school a mile down the road from the monster that is Carnegie Mellon. Even with a super small program and limited resources, I got my BFA in Technical Theater and got a full time job a month after graduation. I knew guys with the same degree from CMU who couldn't find work for a year or two after graduation. This isn't me bragging, but hopefully it shows that your personal merit/ethic/portfolio will say more about you than where you get your degree.

Side Note, its been said here so many times, but I'll say it again. TAKE PHOTOS!! I got my latest job because I was the only applicant who had a decent portfolio. And by decent, I don't mean quality of photos or arrangement, or even quality of work, but because I showed my versatility and range of skills. You're in high school now so you don't have a lot of experience, but I can guarantee you that simple things, even if you think its stupid, speak loudly. If you take a photo of your sound desk and all your cables are dressed properly, your channels are clearly labeled and everything's organized, it can say to an interviewer (for a job or college) that you take pride in your work, you take care of your equipment, and that you put in the effort to do the best job you can. That can be a lot more effective than playing a sound effect you made for a show once.

Sorry I got off topic there, but I wish I had known this stuff when I was applying for college.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back