Hi CB!

NateTheRiddler

Premium Member
Good evening, CB!

I'm Nate, and I'm an all-around lighting technician for my local theatre, Yavapai College PAC.

I'm actually making a CB account for an unusual reason, but it's one I hope won't be too controversial. I started working in Entertainment Tech just over 10 years ago. I got bit by the lighting bug as I entered college for something completely unrelated. Whilst in college for that unrelated thing (think: airplanes), I ran a bit short on funds and decided to pursue work full-time in my hobby, lighting.

Let me be honest: I bit off far more than I could chew with my minimal HoW and theatrical experience. I was hired by Disney to work at WDW (my dream job), and I immediately proved to be a disappointing acquisition. I was young and stupid, and I allowed my enthusiasm (read: ambition) and poor work ethic to destroy me and my job. I was unceremoniously --rightfully so-- dropped from the job, where I then spent the next 4 years gaining experience everywhere I could.

I've lately been reading a book, The Assistant Lighting Designer's Toolkit, and it brought me to the realization that my disconnect from the community of techs, and my lack of humility, ruined an opportunity for me. I've spent the last four years steeling my nerves so that I could make amends.

I'm of course not expecting to be immediately forgiven for my young mistakes, but now that I'm older (and less stupid (hopefully)), I'm hoping that I can gleam knowledge from CB's wealth of individuals, and connect in a way that's less selfish and more apropos.

Thanks for those of you who take the time to read this; extended thanks for those of you who believe in second chances for those willing to put in the effort to change!

Look forward to getting to know all of you, and learn from all of you as well!
Nate

Those are some hard lessons to learn.
Welcome aboard. Hope you enjoy!

Hi Nate, at 50 I have had a career change into technical theatre (part time) and the more I do it the more I realise I don't know enough. You have taken the first steps to gaining experience and connecting with people in the field who are not scared to share their knowledge is so important and a great way to learn.
Enjoy the ride.
Geoff

Those are some hard lessons to learn.
Welcome aboard. Hope you enjoy!
I’m grateful to have had them. I’m fortunate that I did not take on the name of Mudd, or my career would be destroyed. I now have a reputational hill to climb but I am willing to humble myself and learn to get there.

Nice looking PAC. Welcome aboard!
Lucky to have such a great facility; and, without sounding like too much of a suck up, my TD is a blast to work with too. I’ve had my fair share of “interesting” TDs.

Hi Nate, at 50 I have had a career change into technical theatre (part time) and the more I do it the more I realise I don't know enough. You have taken the first steps to gaining experience and connecting with people in the field who are not scared to share their knowledge is so important and a great way to learn.
Enjoy the ride.
Geoff
I look forward to learning every step of the way. I’m here for that exact purpose. I’m unfortunate financially to not be able to take on formal education in theatre; what I can gleam from CB, books, and tutorials (and screwing up a few gigs) will have to suffice. I appreciate the encouragement!

Welcome Nate! Controlbooth will be one of the greatest classrooms you will ever find. Which is good, because I don't think you can EVER stop learning in this field. What I did last show will invariably have little relation to what I do next show. And the people around here are first rate. Enjoy!

One of the most satisfying things to me about working in education is that I get to see this kind of attitude change (and resulting skill and opportunity development) unfold in a disciplined but supportive environment. Usually it starts with one of my patented public shamings, and then the person's true colors show - either they shut up and shape up, or they realize they should find something else to do. I get to give people more time to transform than was possible when I was in professional production, but good mentors at any level should know how to guide younger people into good habits and attitudes. Sounds like you're on your way and you have a good role model now. I don't think you need to do any more penance - that's just a downer for everyone around you. Just keep listening and working hard and you'll be okay. That kind of PAC is a great venue for someone in your shoes - good variety and pace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back