Hi Everybody

I've been lurking around here as a guest for ages.
I'm Michael. I'm the vice-head tech at the theatre in South Eugene High School, Eugene, OR. Yeah. That's about it.

Welcome Mike from one of the dowunder members. The Aussies will be along later.

Feel free to ask questions and contribute to discussions. There is also a search feature that will let you check old posts to see if your question has already being discussed.

Is Eugene part of timber country ? Excuse my ignorance when I think of Oregon I think of mountains and timber.

Welcome aboard. We aussies get up a bit later than the Kiwis but we get here.

A small word of advice, love your logon but never turn your back on Gafftaper. He just loves small furry animals ... to eat ... spitroasted.

If you've been hanging around for a while you know about all of us. The old guys the young guys the wierdo's. Don't be frightened off by anyone and please tell us a little more about yourself. Got a website, youtube entries etc.

See you round.

Welcome aboard. We aussies get up a bit later than the Kiwis but we get here. ...
Actually, you guys are the only ones on when I post at 4am Las Vegas time. Wonder why that is?

...A small word of advice, love your logon but never turn your back on Gafftaper. He just loves small furry animals ... to eat ... spitroasted...
Don't try it Mark, he's poison. You must tell us where the name Deadly Gopher came from.

Ask the one question about tech you've always wanted to know, and you'll have many responses within the hour. But be aware, you may be admonished if it's been asked and answered before. The "search" feature is your best friend. That and a thick skin, and that inedible quality of yours.

Welcome, deadlygopher. We've got to come up with a better title for you than Vice-Head tech, unless we're trying to extract information, which in a way we are!

Duh, when it's 4am there it's midday here

I do like stating the obvious

Duh, when it's 4am there it's midday here

I do like stating the obvious
Yesterday, or tomorrow? So besides the metric system, you have different times too? Crazy. Has anyone noticed ControlBooth's time clock is often wacky? Sometimes it will have posts that haven't happened yet, other times spot on. Does Australia have it's own Cesium clock, or do you use ours in Denver? Maybe there should be one in Green-witch.:rolleyes:

Yesterday, or tomorrow? So besides the metric system, you have different times too? Crazy. Has anyone noticed ControlBooth's time clock is often wacky? Sometimes it will have posts that haven't happened yet, other times spot on. Does Australia have it's own Cesium clock, or do you use ours in Denver? Maybe there should be one in Green-witch.:rolleyes:

Actually tomorrow.

And yes we do have our own cesium clock. I used to know the phone number. I'll see if I can find it.

Now I'll read avkids link and discover he's not only got got the phone number but arranged to have a beer with the bloke on the phobe as well. He's so good at this stuff.

avkid I'm in Adelaide actually which is 30 minutes earlier rather than the usual 1 hour. Apparently done years ago so our business poeple wouldn't have too many problems. trouble is we are now 90 minutes ahead of Perth which has its own problems. You guys have four time zones don't you?

Last edited:
Welcome to the controlled (well normally) chaos.

Derek, we haven't used GMT since 1971. You didn't get the memo that said we were using UTC now? And UTC is based on TAI with an offset. And that gets calculated from more than 200 atomic clocks in more than 50 national measurement laboratories worldwide. http://www.bipm.org/en/scientific/tai/tai.html

And I've learnt to take time stamps on posts with a grain of salt...

Last edited:
Bad link, Chris. And no, just like not being informed of taking the ° out of Kelvin, no one thought to copy me on that scientific memo. I get all my scientific info from Van, mad scientist.;) At least I think it was Van. Edit: Nope, good ol' Icewolf08, should have known.

Last edited:
Whatever wierdness caused the bad link has been fixed. How can one take the ° from Kelvin when it was never there?

You are sure you information didn't come from books etc. that fell out the back of a van? (Off the back of a truck still sounds better...)

This thread, posts 5-8.

Perhaps we should get back to "murderous prairie-dog" or whatever his name is.

Oh. You'll fit right in. Maybe you'll become a member of our "Regular Deck Crew", as it were.

Welcome to the Booth, even if you have been lurking here for a while. Please ask and answer questions - that's how we all learn.

Dennis

Arr, Van, swab the misenmast! Derek, man the tiller! Greenia, go play with swatchbooks! [-]Gaff[/-] Mark, fire up the Mk10 ballasts, oh wait, you don't have any!
:mrgreen:

I believe the commands are:

"Man the Showguns"

"Aim the SuperTroupers"

"Fly in the Blacks"

"Load the confetti cannons"

"All hands on Standby, G-O at will!!!!"

So deadlygopher, you're between The Sound of Mucous and The Laramie Project? I believe Gafftaper just did Laramie, so if you have any questions, I bet he could help. And a play by Christopher Durang? Quite a challenging season for a High School. Is the campus as nice as it looks in the pictures? Tell us about your theatre building. People love to tell us what's wrong with their theatre, and sometimes what's right also.

So deadlygopher, you're between The Sound of Mucous and The Laramie Project? I believe Gafftaper just did Laramie, so if you have any questions, I bet he could help. And a play by Christopher Durang? Quite a challenging season for a High School. Is the campus as nice as it looks in the pictures? Tell us about your theatre building. People love to tell us what's wrong with their theatre, and sometimes what's right also.

How do you know these things?????

Sometimes I forget the power that is google.

On a related topic, we have 2 rather odd theatres. Our auditorium is annoying. It has no fly system and no wings. This makes moving set pieces very difficult. In The Sound of Music we built a 2-story house out of flats and platforms on top of casters and rolled it behind a scrim. It sucked. (Especially because the stage crew was particularly incompetent. I wasn't on the run crew thankfully.) Our other theatre is our new black box. Last year it was an odd combination of a proscenium and thrust, so we tore it apart over the summer and built a new 3/4 round. It is also odd. Our control booth is in a position so that it is almost impossible to see the majority of the stage. The best place to hang a light for the center zone's sidelight is right in front of the booth window. We have an ancient EDI 12-channel scrimmer for dimming in that theatre. It doesn't want to work sometimes. We still have no houselights, so we have to have really bright curtain-warmers when the audience comes in. It looks really awkward.

So yeah. That's my theatre in a nutshell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back