Hi Side work light suggestions

Lextech

For work lights in my theatre we currently have Prisim Projection ColorWash lights mounted up on the side walls and focused through the normal leg openings. For nine years they have provided great light for working, especially when we are changing over lighting. At this point they are at end of life and no longer made so I am looking for a replacement. My needs are simple, bright and a reasonable CRI for my TD. Variable white at a minimum, basic color mixing a bonus. These lights are used a lot, like 8 hours plus a day and then, in non-covid times, at night. Power to them is constant, so fanless or having a fan that know when it has to be on to reduce heat is ideal. Could be a wash, could be a profile, I just need the ability to shape the light into an oval for coverage. Normally I would just go to LDI and find this item but, well, you know. Thanks in advance for your input.

For work lights in my theatre we currently have Prisim Projection ColorWash lights mounted up on the side walls and focused through the normal leg openings. For nine years they have provided great light for working, especially when we are changing over lighting. At this point they are at end of life and no longer made so I am looking for a replacement. My needs are simple, bright and a reasonable CRI for my TD. Variable white at a minimum, basic color mixing a bonus. These lights are used a lot, like 8 hours plus a day and then, in non-covid times, at night. Power to them is constant, so fanless or having a fan that know when it has to be on to reduce heat is ideal. Could be a wash, could be a profile, I just need the ability to shape the light into an oval for coverage. Normally I would just go to LDI and find this item but, well, you know. Thanks in advance for your input.
Calling @DELO72
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Cost is not a large issue, output and longevity are. The Prisims were expensive but nine years of life made them worth it. I don’t mind paying for quality.

How bright are you looking for? Source 4WRD II now has the output equivalent to a 750w in a S4 body, and more then that in a S 4WRD PAR body. It also has the benefit of being replaceable with the next generation down the line when they get too dim. I'm curious as to why you want color mixing in a work light, don't work lights just sit at white 90+ percent of the time?

I'm sure @ship has some more ideas in addition to Ron's above call.

Color mixing was a feature of the more expensive lights. Concept being told that sometimes these would be also in use for general lighting looks. But yes, a proper work light is just white. Between curtains and drapes in beam spread is also a factor noted as a good thing to design around.

@Lextech variable white is the trick. My first thought are the Chauvet Ovation VW's but I'm sure you have already considered those. You might want to look into film industry products. I don't know the products, but it seems like they would have variable white and be built to take long hours.

Color mixing was a feature of the more expensive lights. Concept being told that sometimes these would be also in use for general lighting looks. But yes, a proper work light is just white. Between curtains and drapes in beam spread is also a factor noted as a good thing to design around.
Exactly, my designers do some non traditional set and lighting designs, these become another tool. I used one side for an effect for a ballet where the dead spots caused by the legs became an asset. The old lights have something like a 30x70 degree holographic diffuser that helps get through the legs and cover more stage.

I would expect to hear from @Ford or someone else from Chauvet and I know the ETC line, I just thought the collective here might share something that I don’t know about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back