Hi.

No fighting, let's just blame this one all on Van and move on.

That's me! I'm a very responsible person. Something goes wrong, I'm usually responsible.:mrgreen:

Still there Artemis? We really don't do this to everyone. You are truly getting the deluxe welcome. Three whole pages of nonsense!!

Well ll of our problems will be solved when you backwards yanks see the light and convert to metric...

I'm sure if I felt so desired, I could make something out of being a minority group and discrimination and blah blah blah.

I don't mind being blamed or things, when I know what I'm being blamed for. Don't you just hate getting blamed for something you have absolutely zilch knowledge on?

Last edited:
So are we going for the world record hijack in this thread?

Well ll of our problems will be solved when you backwards yanks see the light and convert to metric...

I'm sure if I felt so desired, I could make something out of being a minority group and discrimination and blah blah blah.

I don't mind be9ing blamed or things, when I know what I'm being blamed for. Don't you just hate getting blamed for something you have absolutely zilch knowledge on?

Metric is evil. It uses base-ten

So are we going for the world record hijack in this thread?

So it seems...

Ok then, It was started by a Portland, Oregon-er.

That's Oregonian.

Or-ri-go-ni-an.

and BTW it's Ory-gun

not Ory-gone

God I wish we'd go metric, any moron can do base ten math, no fractions to worry about, no more " Oh I thought that was the 5/16, I guess I miss counted."

God I wish we'd go metric, any moron can do base ten math, no fractions to worry about, no more " Oh I thought that was the 5/16, I guess I miss counted."

What!!!

Great, that's just going to fire up Chris. Sorry Artemis, this thread will never end.

I'm sorry I'm not Chris but metric rules. I'm old enough to have tried to cope with SAE and Whitworth and I've got ten fingers (I'm not Tasmanian). But I am married to one.

Still there Artemis? We really don't do this to everyone. You are truly getting the deluxe welcome. Three whole pages of nonsense!!

Wow. I feel special. And now it's at four pages...

But, on the subject of metrics, they make a hell of a lot of sense. Any idiot can use them. Why did we switch in the first place?

You didn't switch. You are still where a great many countries have chosen to leave. The metric system was born in France and the metre was originally a section of the distance between two towns in France. I can't remember which two. I believe the original metre is engraved on a chunk of platinum in the Academie Francais in Paris. Wikipedia has a great article on the metric system.
It rocks because everything divides by ten except time. A couple of attempts have been made to introduce a metric time system but to no avail. Apparently the laws of physics and the future of the universe depend on there being 60 secs in a minute and 24 hours in a day (more or less).

Eggsellent. My grand scheme is coming to fruition.. mwah ha ha ha ha.

See, The human body was designed with the metric system in mind... 10 fingers, 10 toes... Add to that some really funky sounding prefixes and you've got yourself a sensible system of measuring...

As for the metre, the current definition is the distance travelled by light in a vacuum in 1/c seconds. And while we are doing useless trivia things, the convention of the metre established the metric system. Look up the Bureau Internationale des Poids et Measures in France if you want to get into the details... www.bipm.fr And as a bonus, get the actual time (or pretty darn close to it) while you are there...

And I see that Tony's reference to Tasmanians went right over all your heads. But I appreciated it...

Gaff, have we answered your question about record hijacks yet?

.....You didn't switch. You are still where a great many countries have chosen to leave. .........

Little known fact the unit of measure that was used to build the Great Pyramid at Giza is reffered to as the "Pyramid Inch" and is, in fact 1/500th of an inch shorter that the standard "American inch"

As a genreal rule however, English measure sucks. Nobody likes fractions. then you start in with the Engineers and their 10ths of an inch. Every once in a while my Autocad will default to engineering scales. Confuses the hell out of me. I once got in trouble in Algebra class, The teacher had described a particular process about three times to three different people asking the same question in three different ways. He finally turned around to the class and said," People this is not difficult, How in the world could you possibly make this hard?" I raised my hand. when he called on me I said," We could all cut off our thumbs and do it in Base 8." ............
He sent me out to the hall........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back