Hi.

Oops, I forgot to mention... blame the insanity on uni exams... at least the bit that's more than normal...

With all due respect, you haven't been around here long enough to get a real baseline of what would constitute normal for me... and I mean no offence in that at all...

Hey Chris, I know where you're coming from. I mean, you live in Sydney.

I checked the metre. It was originally in what is now called the old metric system 1/40,000,000 of the Polar Diameter of the earth calculated by using as a base the distance from Dunkirk to Barcelona.
The kilogram is the weight of a platinum/iridium cylinder stored at Sevre in France.
Since 1983 the speed of light in a vacuum has been used as the base of the metre.

Sorry Chris, I'm in that state of confused exhaustion that comes at the end of a too long weekend in a theatre and when I wrote it I thought it made sense. Now I'm not even sure what I was thinking. On the other hand (he says chewing on a piece of hay) you easterners are sure more sophisticated than we poor South Australias.

Yep. The kilogram is officially defined as the mass of that platinum iridium cylinder at the BIPM. The metre is defined in terms of the speed of light, c. Time is in terms of a certain number of oscillations of a Caesium atom. The Kelvin in terms of the triple point of water, the mole in terms of number of atoms in .012kg of Carbon 12, the Amp in terms of force on parallel conductors and the candela in terms of intensity of a given frequency of light.

Much better explanation here: http://www.bipm.fr/en/si/base_units/

You've had enough rain for the grass to grow and then to make hay?

Yeah, and so have you. Hope the floods haven't hit Sydney as hard as Newcastle. I've got relatives up there but they are all OK we've been in touch over the weekend. I know we need the rain but a little more even and less enthusiasm would have been good for you guys.

Fortunately, I seem to recall that we at least got some in the dam catchment areas. And from the news last week or the week before, the Darling river is flowing again. That should mean some water in the Murray and you guys will appreciate that. Might even stand a chance of slowing the salinity problems...

I checked the metre. It was originally in what is now called the old metric system 1/40,000,000 of the Polar Diameter of the earth calculated by using as a base the distance from Dunkirk to Barcelona.
The kilogram is the weight of a platinum/iridium cylinder stored at Sevre in France.
Since 1983 the speed of light in a vacuum has been used as the base of the metre.

While the Platinum/Iridium cylinder is the mass of 1 Kilogram the basis of the metric system is the fact that 1 cubic centimetre of water at room temperature has the mass of 1 gram. All other measurements are extrapolated from there.

Thats the only way I can remeber the fact that a liter of water weighs 2.2 pounds or 1 kilogram, 1 gallon weighs 8 pounds, so 2 pints is a little less than 1 litre, "All the world round, a pint is a pound. Unless of course you're in London where a pint is about 2 pounds sterling"

While the Platinum/Iridium cylinder is the mass of 1 Kilogram the basis of the metric system is the fact that 1 cubic centimetre of water at room temperature has the mass of 1 gram. All other measurements are extrapolated from there.

Thats the only way I can remeber the fact that a liter of water weighs 2.2 pounds or 1 kilogram, 1 gallon weighs 8 pounds, so 2 pints is a little less than 1 litre, "All the world round, a pint is a pound. Unless of course you're in London where a pint is about 2 pounds sterling"

'Cept that the density of water is only 0.998g/cm3...
Hmm... how surprising. Van manages to bring adult beverages in once again...

Yep. The kilogram is officially defined as the mass of that platinum iridium cylinder at the BIPM. The metre is defined in terms of the speed of light, c. Time is in terms of a certain number of oscillations of a Caesium atom. The Kelvin in terms of the triple point of water, the mole in terms of number of atoms in .012kg of Carbon 12, the Amp in terms of force on parallel conductors and the candela in terms of intensity of a given frequency of light.
Much better explanation here: http://www.bipm.fr/en/si/base_units/
You've had enough rain for the grass to grow and then to make hay?

First off I want to point out that the "foot" as a unit of measure goes all the way back to ancient Sumer. Secondly, don't you have any respect for the length of the King Henry's foot?!?! We may be rebels here in America but we still respect the length of Henry's foot. God Save the King!!

Your metric system is such disrespect for King Henry, it's like you are a bunch of outlaws and criminals down there... oh wait...

Last edited:
Funny.... I'm here in Massachusetts trying to make hay... and it's been way too soggy! We've had hay down in the field getting rained on for almost a week :-(

That stinks.... Wait!!! you're trying to hijack out hijack! Meanie! :evil:

Indeed gafftaper we won't. Second Fleet and proud of it. Convict descent too not guards. On the other hand I live in SA where we are quite proud of being the only state that had no convicts. Hmm, I detect a small paradox here.

Indeed gafftaper we won't. Second Fleet and proud of it. Convict descent too not guards. On the other hand I live in SA where we are quite proud of being the only state that had no convicts. Hmm, I detect a small paradox here.

So one of your ancestors escaped?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back