Hi.

It could be that Metric Time thing, like maybe this is their weekend or something ?

Thanks Van that makes a lot of sense! Do you remember my theory about metric time. Which showed how they are actually in the future? Well there you go, it's the future and they are on a weekend.

Hello, hello calling yesterday. Isn't it still Tuesday there. Always thought you guys were backward.

Actually, it is today here.....but then again, it is always today here.

That's exactly what's wrong with this country... we never think ahead. It's always tomorrow in Australia. Thinking ahead. Using the metric system. Spelling words with extra letters. It's the future baby!

Now I'm getting confused Gafftaper. Are you on my side? Or are you trying to lull me into a false sense of security. Oh well back to the Redback.

Now I'm getting confused Gafftaper. Are you on my side? Or are you trying to lull me into a false sense of security. Oh well back to the Redback.

Of course I'm on your side. I've always been on your side. It's that sneaky Chris that you can't trust.

Well at least I know where the true allegiances lie...

Now Wikipedia has this to say on binge drinking culture here in Oz...
A culture of binge drinking is prevalent among many communities, for example at high schools, universities, at parties, amongst some aboriginal groups and in sporting clubs. Those who are able to consume large amounts of alcohol are often held in high regard by their peers. Binge drinking and getting drunk to a point of complete loss of control may not only be accepted but encouraged. Drinking to this extent often begins, in a minority of social circles, at as young as 13 and 14, and may be very widely practised and accepted by most by age 16 or 17. This is the main advantage of binge drinking in Australia; it is passed off by the younger generations as "being Australian" and is seen as a perfectly normal cultural practice.

You are seemingly intelligent people. I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions. Not mentioning the level of doubt I apportion to Gaff's claims of drinking to excess not happening over there or underage drinking...

But I guess the real essence of the problem is that no one said anything worth replying to... remember that us Aussies are in theory lazy, though some journalists in mX today thinks otherwise, compared to Germany from whence she came...

Wait a minute. Binge drinking? Who mentioned binge drinking. I merely drink an ample sufficiency.
Disclaimer:
Nothing said in this or any other posts should be taken to mean that the poster or posters is in anyway encouraging the over imbibing of alcohol in any way.
No person under the legal drinking age in the state territory or nation in which they live should buy or acquire alcohol.
Only Australians should drink the best beer cos we have the most experience and therefore will appreciate it more.

Wait a minute. Binge drinking? Who mentioned binge drinking. I merely drink an ample sufficiency.

Did you Aussies go drink so much that you can't type? We don't do that here in the States. It's over 21 only and everyone drinks responsibly just until lightly buzzed... never to excess.

Make sense now?

And binge drinking is bad for you. Underage drinking is illegal. Drinking and Driving is also illegal and is licence to be called a bloody idiot by anyone down here... (ad campaign) So don't do these things, or anything else irresponsible.

Ok, taking off the smart ass hat... I want to say a few serious things.

My grandfather was an alcoholic. Since that tendency is now known to be passed on genetically, I have chosen to be an extremely rare drinker. Maybe it would never happen to me, and maybe my next drink would be the one that I couldn't put down. I have too many wonderful things in my life to risk drinking them away. I've probably had 2 drinks in the last 5 years.

Secondly, to focus on the drunk driving part. I love young people and have a deep passion for inspiring and teaching them. I'm 37 and I've worked with and taught young people in a variety of situations since I graduated from High School. A few years ago one of "my kids", Alina was killed by a drunk driver. 19 years old, she had bright future ahead. She was going to college, volunteering to help others, she wasn't dating anyone just enjoying her young life. She had just left her home with a friend. They were going to his house to hang out. Her dad heard the accident and was the first one to the scene. Her car, her body, and her friend's body were so badly mangled he didn't recognize his own daughter.

I'm all for a modern legal system but there should be a special kind of "justice" for drunk drivers. Anyone who would risk doing that brutality to others deserves some old school medieval justice in return. How about this for a T.V. ad campaign... "Drive Drunk Loose a Hand! Kill some one and we'll make sure you die just as brutal and painful of a death as your victim." (Oh yeah, and as long as I'm king of the world for a day I'm throwing the child molesters and abusers in my "special justice system" as well).

Grow up kids. Being drunk isn't cool. Being drunk makes you a joke to others. Don't drink to excess if you want to control your destiny. You can live you life in pursuit of your dreams or you can drink your opportunities away. The choice is yours. Whatever you choose, don't ever drink and drive. When you are an adult, if you feel like kicking back and getting a little buzzed on a Saturday night with a beer, fine... just don't let it control you.

Putting my hat back on... uhh... hmm... having a hard time coming up with a witty line after all that.

"Uhh, Australia sucks." "Shut up Beavis!"

Last edited:
Years ago I remember hearing some crazy Australian song about there being a "redback on the toilet seat". If I remember right it was about a spider?

True, it is a spider. A very attractive spider with distinctive red markings on it's back. Said spider is poisonous but will not kill you unless you are very young, very old or suffering from some debilitating condition. By Australian standards it's a bit of a wimp. Lets not talk about the funnel web spider which lives in Chris' part of the country. Redback is also a wheat based beer unless it's gone broke in the ten years or so since I last had one.
Gafftaper, I sympathise, back in the eighties I lost a student to drink driving and he wasn't even driving he was in the passenger seat but not belted in. The driver was intoxicated. I too believe that at the very least drink drivers should be charged with attempted or actual homicide. I don't drink much either and mostly I drink good quality wines or boutique beers in small quantities.
It is vital that our young people learn responsible drinking habits and it is important that we set a good example which we may not have been doing.
Oh well, yet a new change of direction on this thread.

The site that Phil so kindly directed you to is for south Australia. Here you can begin to learn at 16 and once licensed must carry P plates until you are 19 or for one year whichever is the longest. In Tasmania it used to be start to learn at 17 and then P plates the same. Years ago you couldn't get a license until you were 18 in New South Wales and Victoria which interestingly enough is also the legal drinking age. Here in SA we have been driving for two years before we can drink. I don't know what the laws are in Western Australia or Queensland.

Well, now in NSW, one can get Ls at 16. You go to the RTA (like the DMV) and sit a multi guess computer test, you pass, you get the learner licence. You must hold them for at least 6 months (12 after July 1). One must obtain and document the same 50 hours of driving experience (120 after July 1, with 20hrs night driving). While doing this, you have to display L plates on your car. Black L on a yellow backgroung about 4" square for you imperial folk. Then after those 6 months, and not before the age of 17, one can go for one's driving test. If one passes said test, one gets a provisional licence. You are required to display red Ps front and back of your car so responsible road users know there is a hoon in their vicinity... Oh, did I just say that. It's not what I actually meant... After 12 months with red Ps, one can sit a computer test and pending successful passing of that, you upgrade to green Ps, which you have to hold for 24 months before you can go for an unrestricted licence.

Now, with Ls you are limited to 80km/h, red Ps its 90 km/h and green Ps its 100km/h. Learners need a holder of an unrestricted licence with them, can't tow anything and basically all other normal things. Red P platers can tow up to 250kg unladen trailers.

All L & P platers have to have ZERO blood alcohol and cannot use a mobile
phone whilst driving in any way - including handsfree. Unrestricted drivers can use a handsfree mobile whilst driving and are subject to a blood alcohol limit of 0.05. Drivers of dangerous goods vehicles, buses, taxis and vehicles heavier than 13.9 tonne GVM have that lowered to 0.02.

Interesting system. Here every state has different rules so it's hard to give you a description of what's going on in all 50 states. One side note you may find interesting is that research has shown that young drivers are far more likely to get into accidents if they have other young people in the car. So besides laws about driving time restrictions for young people, many states are currently experimenting with laws that prohibit other young people in the car for a certain amount of time. I believe some states go as far as until you turn 18 you can't carry anyone under 18 in the car with you.

We are also currently obsessed with child seat restraint laws. When my son was born a little over 3 years ago the state law required a car seat until 4 years old and 40 pounds. That's now up to something like you must have a booster seat until 4 foot 9 inches and 60 pounds. I believe some states are up to 80 pound requirements. While I'm all for safety, we are getting a little crazy about rules and abandoning personal responsibility. We may just declare you must encase your kids in plastic until they turn 21 one of these years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back