Hi.

Welcome Steve... what better way to join the Booth than to post an introduction in the middle of a hijack of an introduction. You Da Man!!

Seriously welcome to the booth. A lot of people have given up reading the meandering nonsense in this thread so please start your own new member board thread to introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you do and where you are. It's the one chance you get to blatantly plug your business without getting hassled.

Interesting system. Here every state has different rules so it's hard to give you a description of what's going on in all 50 states. One side note you may find interesting is that research has shown that young drivers are far more likely to get into accidents if they have other young people in the car. So besides laws about driving time restrictions for young people, many states are currently experimenting with laws that prohibit other young people in the car for a certain amount of time. I believe some states go as far as until you turn 18 you can't carry anyone under 18 in the car with you.
We are also currently obsessed with child seat restraint laws. When my son was born a little over 3 years ago the state law required a car seat until 4 years old and 40 pounds. That's now up to something like you must have a booster seat until 4 foot 9 inches and 60 pounds. I believe some states are up to 80 pound requirements. While I'm all for safety, we are getting a little crazy about rules and abandoning personal responsibility. We may just declare you must encase your kids in plastic until they turn 21 one of these years.

Every week we hear more ideas that seem to get nowhere about what restrictions to put on young drivers. The no passenger rule is being debated here at the moment. Interestingly enough last year here in SA our P platers were one of the smaller accident groups but I beleive in NSW they were the biggest. Mobile phones is the biggie at the moment along with the constant drink driving stuff. Both of these campaigns are completely justified. I still see people driving witha phone stuck to their ear. I have a hands free that auto answers and auto hangs up so I simply don't have to touch it.
Child seats I am afraid I am out of touch with. As a Grampa I've had my car fitted with the restraints my daughter told me to and I use the seats she bought when I transport the kids. From the look of the seats we have I think it's probaly similar to you over there.
So I guess you don't have any sort of Provisional License scheme with P plates then?
Oh by the way, Hello SteveCie, you should start your own new member thread and maybe it'll get lost in confusion like this one.

Provisional License? Fah! We throw 'em out ther on the road and let them take thier lumps. :twisted:
We do have a "Learners Permit". Most states it is 15 1/2 learners can only drive with a licensed individual in the car. Up until recently this could mean someone who was 15.5 could be driving with someone who had just gotten thier license at 16. When I was in Highschool, we had Drivers Ed. In school. I'm not sure if it was just invented to give the Football ball coaches the ability to say they actually taught something or not. The up side was that you actually got time behind the wheel with an instructor. Now days if you want instruction time you have to go to a Community College program, Public Ed, Or Sears driving school. Those guys get to drive around with big placards all over thier cars saying "STUDENT DRIVER". I kind of like the idea of limiting speed to Xmph, oh sorry Xkph, Hmmm I smell legislation brewing. What a great way to start my political car-reer < get it car reer?> Sorry the crazy schedule here is starting to get to me.
Hey Do they have jury duty in Aussie land ?
I saw a sign in a window the other day and it made me think of Austrailia, NZ, and Jolly old England, It was simple on the entrance of a diner it said, " No Solicitors" I thought to myself, " that would have a completely different meaning in a lot of countries, but it would be a good start. ;)

I think Shakespeare wanted to kill all the lawyers. Sometimes I think it would make life much simpler. We do have jury duty here but from what I gather a lot more of our court system deals with matters in a magistrates court which has 1 to 3 magistrates sitting with no jury. I have to say that through luck rather than good judgement I seem to have managed to avoid being embroiled in the legal system so far in my life. So no personal experience.

Van, in the old days, at least in the country, that if you drove to the cop shop and arrived in one piece without hitting anything that you got your licence. None of this learners or provisional rubbish.

And gaff, two extra new rules I forgot to mention: Provisional licences will have zero tolerance on speeding - if you are over the limit, kiss goodbye to your licence for 3 months at least - unless you can successfully convince a judge otherwise... And between 23:00 & 05:00, drivers under 25 on red Ps may have no more than one passenger under the age of 21. Kinda screws up the designated driver system somewhat though...

And then we get the latest ad campaign, aimed at curbing speeding amongst young male drivers...
have a look at it here.

Now now now Van, are you sure that it's legislation brewing and not one of those beers we were discussing earlier? And you must drive a VW or something to be wanting to start your car from the rear...

And did we mention that while the speed limits down here get up to 110 km/h, trucks and buses are theoretically speed limited to 100 km/h... I stress the theoretical part.

Jury duty, sure... but these days we only bother using juries for some things. As logos pointed out, use of magistrates tend to be the more done thing, for better or worse.

No solicitors eh? Well we all know that arguing with lawyers of any description is pointless, but I didn't realise that eating with them was a problem... But it bites them worse... they can't bill for the time spent with a client over lunch.:twisted:

That's a hilarious ad. Campaign. They would never get away with it here. But it certainly gets the point across.

Now now now Van, are you sure that it's legislation brewing and not one of those beers we were discussing earlier? And you must drive a VW or something to be wanting to start your car from the rear...

I believe the big guy has mentioned that he is in fact a VW bus owner.

I believe the big guy has mentioned that he is in fact a VW bus owner.

I thought that you weren't allowed to discriminate on size now...

Ahh... If this be true and Van drives a Kombi van, then all makes sense :twisted:

That's a hilarious ad. Campaign. .....I believe the big guy has mentioned that he is in fact a VW bus owner.

I used to have a bus, Loved it. Poor Hildegard, Eventualy had to be traded in for a little warmer vehicle, once we got the kids. She Made it across the Continental divide with Me, my wife, and everything I owned at the time. < It's what we moved to Oregon in, after we got Married.>

Hmm Magistrates, Efficient? yes. but sounds like it just Priming the pump for Injustice and coruption. Now I'm not saying thats the case always, just seems to me like a lot of power in very few hands.

Yes Jury Duty here, Everyones Constitutional Responsibility! I think it's a great system. I always looked forward to getting to serve on a Jury. I've only ever been called once. My wife, however, has been called at least 5 times since we moved here, once she was selected for a Federal jury,murder for hire trial. Once for some mundane thing, twice for County jury duty, and now she's sitting on a County Grand Jury. Here's the rub, Regular jury duty requires you call in every morning, if your number is on the list you go in to the Courthouse, < city, state, federal. county. whatever> you sit and wait to see if they need you then you may go through a jury selection process. Get on a jury and you're on it 'till the trial is done. 1 day, 1 week, 1 year......... Depending on what type of duty it is you get compensated $x.00/day. usually something like 20-40. Well a Grand jury sits for an entire month, You never know from day to day what the schedule is, they tell you the day before when to show up and an approximate time of departure. So Her working for this month is, right out. Not so bad but the kids are out of school, So they tag along with dad to work. Not so bad. Kids have swim lessons, Aikido, sleepovers,Parties......... Yeah I'm spending most of my time taxi-ing and very little working. Sorry am I venting? Oh a little, Guess this should go in the "punching bag" But I thought you might like a little American Civics lesson, God knows we don't teach civics in school anymore, kids gotta learn it somewhere, if not here than they'll learn it on the street, and that leads to ......... Street civics..

Hmm Magistrates, Efficient? yes. but sounds like it just Priming the pump for Injustice and coruption. Now I'm not saying thats the case always, just seems to me like a lot of power in very few hands.

I don't think the corruption in our legal system stems from magistrates. My reading of the newspapers and following of the news rarely throws up problems in that area. The biggest problem seems to relate to the old boy network of the legal profession. Here in SA if you are or were a police officer or lawyer you basically don't get convicted for anything if charges are ever brought. Never mind, local issues.

..........Here in SA if you are or were a police officer or lawyer you basically don't get convicted for anything if charges are ever brought. .....

Oh, Kinda like being rich and famous and in California. :rolleyes:

It just isn't fair! Taken down in the prime of her life by THE MAN.

(I hear if she gets caught again the judge is going to send her to Australia.)

It just isn't fair! Taken down in the prime of her life by THE MAN.
(I hear if she gets caught again the judge is going to send her to Australia.)

I once overheard a joke that pertains to this:

(A): So why don't we just pack up all the criminals and ship them to another country and leave for 50 years and then come back?
(B): You would get another Australia.

I once overheard a joke that pertains to this:

(A): So why don't we just pack up all the criminals and ship them to another country and leave for 50 years and then come back?
(B): You would get another Australia.

That's funny!
But would you really want an Austrailia completely populated by the descendants of Paris Hilton? Come to think of it I don't think they'd survive 50yrs without the outside influence of admirers.

You are ignoring the cardinal rule of the the movement to dethrone talentless, and annoying celebutantes.
Ignore them!

Why should we ignore our royalty? She's young, rich, spoiled rotten... she's all we've got.

Why should we ignore our royalty? She's young, rich, spoiled rotten... she's all we've got.

Yeah ever since Britney went nuts........ We get stuck with Paris.

Wait a minute. Britney, Paris, It's the French! Once again screwing with American culture.

Stupid French!! We saved their butts twice in world wars and all they give us in return is Toast, Fries, and Gerard Depardieu.

Stupid French!! We saved their butts twice in world wars and all they give us in return is Toast, Fries, and Gerard Depardieu.

Oh and don't forget Marcelle Marceau, and Maurice Chevalier !

"Of course we are french! Why else do you think we have these Outrageous accents! ":mrgreen:

You stupid English Pig Dogs!! I Fart in your general direction!

Just got my tickets for the touring version of "Spamalot" coming to town this fall.

Now if they would only put those "Diego Live" tickets on sale everyone in the family will be happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back