Hide the glass on stage

wyptaj

Dear All,

I was wondering if anyone can help as I am having a little trouble hiding some glass.

I'm doing Ghost the Musical, and the Director wants me to create the effect where Sam the Ghost puts his hand through a coke can on stage in front of everyone.

As it's a local production they don't have much money, therefore holograms etc are out of the question.

I have come up with a simple small peppers ghost illusion whereby a real coke can is reflected in a piece of glass, and if the coke can is lit by a light just over it then it shows up as a reflection very well.
I am then planning on hiding the real coke can and light behind scenery so the audience cannot see this part. Then Sam would go behind the piece of glass and we would mark where the coke can is being reflected and hence he can put his hand through where the coke can is being reflected.

The trouble I have is that the piece of glass cannot be a huge piece i.e. floor to ceiling as that is too much glass, way too expensive and would cause other issues.
Therefore I need a piece of glass of Perspex that is A3 size, which is fine I can get and use and it's not a problem or to help solve the problem I'm about to explain another size of glass is fine to use also.

My problem comes in that although you can't see the glass on stage, you can see the edges of the glass, which is where my issue lies.
The glass would be stood up on stage and attach it to items you would naturally see in a subway, so that the side edges of the glass can be hidden quite easily. My issue is I don't know how to hide the top edge of the piece of glass, as if I put anything there to hide it, then you won't be able to see Sam on the other side of the glass putting his hand through the coke can.

Has anyone got any ideas how to get around this problem, or have you done the show and how did you create this effect ?
Any help would be very much appreciated.
Many thanks in advance.

The original production used one of those orange/white construction site sawhorses to conceal the edges of the glass. You could see the can centered in the middle of the sawhorse and could still see almost all of Sam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back