High End Color Command

highschooltech

Has any one used a High End Color Commands and if so what did you think. I was thinking about using them on an upcoming show instead of some parnels and scrollers. Its a show in a venue i've used before and was happyish with the scrollers because of the limited selection of colors on the rental strings. The color comands are CMY so that wouldn't be the issue and for the throw their beam angle works and they are about the same brightness on paper so i was wondering if any one had any thoughts.

It's been awhile since I used them but the one or two times I did I was impressed. I am not a fan of parnels but I do think the Color Commands will blow them away. I do remember getting the PSU to address them correctly being a bit of a PITA.

I used a few of them last year in a production, they performed nicely, the beam angle is fairly small, smaller than I accounted for, but you said you looked at that already so that shouldn't be an issue. and like soundman said, getting them to address properly was a pain, but that could have either been user error, or the light board's fault, but most likely user error.

I love them. They are great CMY mixing units and light years ahead of scrollers. Plus like all HES gear they use the highest quality parts, with quiet fans and few failures.

They are meant for throw diances over 20', shorter than that beam angle might be a problem. But keep in mind that it also has a beam shaping feature that helps a lot.

The red (of course) is the lowest output, and like all CMY mixers in its catagory it struggles with mixing to tinted colors (stay at the top of the color picker bar). But they are great units if you want CMY mixing and don't need a moving head. They are a thousand times better than scrollers, and they are cheaper than Seachangers+PARnels.

The addressing is simple. Your dimmer address is the dimmer you plug it into, and then you address each unit 0-11. Set the starting address -1 as the power supply address (for example if you want CC#1 to be channel 256 then make your power supply 255), set the power supply to auto addressing and then send the reset command down the line (from the power supply).

Let me know if you need anything else.

Mike

They're not bad. You'll need external dimming for them, and you need a brain and 4-pin scroller cables to connect them. The most important thing to remember is that you have to power up the console BEFORE you turn on the brain, otherwise they won't work. They use the same power supply as the Color Merge (like the Seachanger) but I don't remember if you can use both color commands and color merges off the same brain.

All in all I'd prefer the Studio Command, since they have all the features but none of the headaches. As for the output, I guess that depends on your application. I used them to light a ballroom stage a few times, and they were fine with about a 25' throw.

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd start here.

I just picked up a few Color Commands from an auction and need to get them working.

Can someone point me in the direction for getting the 4 pin cables and whatever else it takes to make them work?

I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

The 4-pin xlr cable is pretty common. It's an xlr style cable, with 4 pins (duh) and should be available through anyplace that sells xlr cable.

You didn't mention whether a brain came with the purchase. If not, you'll need to find one before you can do anything with them. And a dimmer or two, depending on how big the dimmer is and how many fixtures you have.

I haven't used them in about 5 years, so I don't remember much.

I THINK you send dmx to the brain, just like any other light fixture. Then you connect the CC to the brain via the 4-pin, like with scrollers. The fixtures get addressed based on the brain, NOT like dmx. So they are #1, #2, etc. The brain accepts whatever starting dmx address you want. I can't remember much else, so I'd look for the manual online, or contact HES/Barco for a manual. I'm sure they can e-mail you one.

Thanks for the reply.

I do not have the brain. I really should have done a little more research when I picked these up, but honestly just by looking at the HES page for the CC it doesn't mention anything about a brain or even the 4 pin.

Any ideas on where I would be able to pick up the brain/unit? (or whatever it's called?)

I'd start with gearsource.com. and also lightbroker.com. I believe they both have a way to put a note out that you are looking for something specific. I'd also put a note here, and at lightnetwork saying you want to buy one or more. But before you do, find out ALL the products that brain is compatible with, as someone who has them may only be familiar with one fixture and not notice your request if you only list one fixture type. I'd also contact someone at HES. It's possible they still have one in stock. Or lightparts.

Ok I'll do that.

I've contacted HES and they are looking to see if they have any, but they haven't made them for years so I'm not expecting them to have any.

I'll put the word out and see what I can find.

If I don't have any luck at all finding someone willing to part with the brain then I'll be selling these fixtures really cheap. :)

So yeah, I found a couple places that has the Color Power. Didn't know they were that expensive. It's really not worth it to me to get one.

So I've two Color Command on Ebay right now DIRT CHEAP if anyone who has some already wants to pick up a few more.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back