High End Color Pro Classic

Heckle

Hi All,
I recently acquired a number of color pro classic fixtures. These are the old ones that used 3 MR-16 lamps. The only way I currently have to control them is with the proprietary controller that came with them. However from what I can gather online from others, and from the High End Website there was a protocol interface built that allowed DMX control. I have seen people post about converters that they built themselves. Does anybody know a possible solution to running these fixtures off of DMX, as I can not find a protocol interface for sale.
Thanks,
Heckle

Attachments

• ColorPro Interface User Manual.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 412
  • ColorPro User Manual.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 317
I do remember these fixtures from way back. I haven't seen any in years. The protocol interface schematic dates back to 1989 which doesn't surprise that none can be found. They do include the schematic for the fixture and a description of the protocol, that is helpful. It looks like there is a data signal and a clock signal. I would think an Arduino could control these with a DMX input but it would take some custom interface circuitry and a little programming.

Sounds like a DFD question. Which for some reason won’t let me @him. Hopefully he chimes in if not you can look him up and ask him what he thinks.

Good morning!

Thanks for the suggestion @Amiers !

Give us a call and ask to speak with one of our technicians regarding our DMX to iPlay (http://www.dfd.com/iplay.html) product. Our number is (805) 481-9599. If our product won't work for your setup, hopefully we'll know of one that will!

Alternatively, you could send an e-mail to <[email protected]> with those documents attached and ask whether they'll work with your product. Either way will work!

I do remember these fixtures from way back. I haven't seen any in years. The protocol interface schematic dates back to 1989 which doesn't surprise that none can be found. They do include the schematic for the fixture and a description of the protocol, that is helpful. It looks like there is a data signal and a clock signal. I would think an Arduino could control these with a DMX input but it would take some custom interface circuitry and a little programming.
Ive been looking at all of my options. It's not in our budget to have DFD engineer us one of these. We are currently trying to look into the arduino route, however we are having a difficult time, we dont know the exact specifications of the Color Pro Protocol. High End told us that they cant release it either. Does anybody have this information, or maybe a better idea on what it will take to build one of these ourselves.
Thanks,
Heckle

I took a closer look at the fixture schematic after my post. To my observations it appears that bits are pulse-width modulated on the data line. A short pulse would be 0 and a long pulse would be 1. Data is sent in what looks to be 28-bit packets. The first 4 bits are the fixture address. The remaining 24 bits are 3 8-bit level settings. After the packet is sent the strobe line drops telling the fixtures that the data in the registers is valid. If the address bits match the thumbwheel setting then the data is latched to the dimmer output. The strobe signal also enables the dimmer output.

The fixture itself has no clock or microcontroller and appears to need the incoming data and strobe signals to do anything.

I took a closer look at the fixture schematic after my post. To my observations it appears that bits are pulse-width modulated on the data line. A short pulse would be 0 and a long pulse would be 1. Data is sent in what looks to be 28-bit packets. The first 4 bits are the fixture address. The remaining 24 bits are 3 8-bit level settings. After the packet is sent the strobe line drops telling the fixtures that the data in the registers is valid. If the address bits match the thumbwheel setting then the data is latched to the dimmer output. The strobe signal also enables the dimmer output.

The fixture itself has no clock or microcontroller and appears to need the incoming data and strobe signals to do anything.

So can most of this be done via programing an arduino, or would most of it be done with custom hardware?

I would copy the output circuitry for data and strobe from the controller schematic and tie it to 2 GPIO pins. You would also need a line driver, such as a 75176, for DMX.

There are DMX libraries for Arduino. The programing would involve taking the incoming DMX values and sending the values out in a packet the fixtures would recognize. The ColorPro protocol is slow and only transmits a change in level once as opposed to DMX which is streaming.

They were/are unique fixtures. I've got an arsenal of ColorPro classic gear, manuals, and some parts; if I can be of help, let me know. I've currently got 16 fully operational ColorPro classics, two Colorpro controllers, two DMX to HES converters, and about six parts fixtures. May have some dichroics and lenses/lens tubes still too.

They were/are unique fixtures. I've got an arsenal of ColorPro classic gear, manuals, and some parts; if I can be of help, let me know. I've currently got 16 fully operational ColorPro classics, two Colorpro controllers, two DMX to HES converters, and about six parts fixtures. May have some dichroics and lenses/lens tubes still too.
Are you looking to get rid of any of this gear, If so I would definetly be interested in obtaining a fair amount of it. Let me know.

Thanks,
Heckle

Are you looking to get rid of any of this gear, If so I would definetly be interested in obtaining a fair amount of it. Let me know.

Thanks,
Heckle

I'd consider parting with these. Really enjoyed using them, but don't do as much lighting production as I used to. I'll put together a list of the fixtures, controllers, and parts I have and get it to you. What's the best way to get you the info?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back