Automated Fixtures High End Dropping The Ball??!!??

Which light and how long ago? I have done side by sides with a Power Spot 700 CMY and a Mac 700. For price, I am taking the PS700. Although I am not sure who will want that anymore when their new DS1200 lists for $400 more then the CMY version. The best bang for the buck I think is a DS575. It has all the features of a Mac 700 with a 575w lamp, costs less then a Mac 550.

Elation lights on tour and in a lot of major installs around the country as well. WWE has a bunch of Elation fixtures on tour with them, and no one does as many tour shows a year as they do.

As for parts, no problem there either. Stuff overnighted and a non issue with supply. Though I did just order a few more movers today and took the last ones they had in stock apparently, 350 more on the way I was told. That is moving a lot of product then, so someone likes them and are buying them besides me.

I myself thought I would never be using Elation products (VL guy), until I started seeing demos of them. Price/performance wise, they are one of the best right now and haven't had an issue with quality yet, minus the Proton Color strobes. The fact I can do more for less for clients is a big time plus for me and my company as well as companies I work for.

This has gotten way off topic. I don't like Elation, if a company is producing lights for a lot less then they are cutting corners somewhere, most likely by using things like cheaper stepper motors, etc. Just as someone stated that their Elation dimmer packs channel blew out; as it turns out they used under rated SCR's instead of spending a little more and going with a higher rating component. As far as Elation on tour, seems the only thing ever used is pretty much their LED line. However for 8k on an LED fixture, I rather buy a studio pix when it comes out, cause it may be around the same price range (not sure yet though). So if you like Elation that's fine, if you happy with them then stick with them. It's just my opinion only so don't take it the wrong way. And yes Elation is probably selling well as I have seen them in a lot of DJ, club rigs as well as bars. If Elation wants to be true high end concert /stage grade, then you don't take one of you higher end lights and put a microphone on it for stand alone mode. I mean what respecting pro light has a mic on it, think about that, they want to be professional but then make a dumb move like that, makes no sense.

Funny you mention the dimmer. ULD360 states right on the page it has dual 25 amp SSR's. Input is dual 15 amps. (25-15)/15=.67 15x1.67=25.05a, or a safety rating of 1.67 like mentioned in the other thread. Leprecon has been making dimmers longer then Elation, and seems to think for portable packs a safety buffer of 1.67 is more then fine.

And the lights I picked up were some DS575s. I haven't seen and/or heard of one of these been in a club yet. On tour, yes. If on for 4 days start doesn't constitute reliability, I don't know what does anymore.

Thanks for the update Tim. Glad to see that they realize there are some holes that need patching. Also nice to see that Hog support is still continuing full steam ahead. I knew they were working on the DP8000 for 16 more universes, but I didn't know it also included Artnet. Good to know.

Last edited:
Funny you mention the dimmer. ULD360 states right on the page it has dual 25 amp SSR's. Input is dual 15 amps. (25-15)/15=.67 15x1.67=25.05a, or a safety rating of 1.67 like mentioned in the other thread. Leprecon has been making dimmers longer then Elation, and seems to think for portable packs a safety buffer of 1.67 is more then fine.

Um I have nothing against Leprecon dimmers they work great as I have used them before. The 25amp dual SSR's is per dimmer channel, not per pack. Which means the pack has six 25amp dual SSR's which give you tons of headroom as it should be.

Elation is 16a per channel, not per pack likewise.

Sorry about the Leprecon though. Remember reading something to the effect of 25a SSR's. Just glanced at website to check. Not sure if you can run SSR's in parallel though to split the load. If that is the case, safety rating is around 3.33. Double the safety for 50% more load over the Elation in question, which seems rather in line with electrical safety. As you increase your risk linearly, you increase your safety factor exceptionally (generalizing based off of distances for high voltage lines).

I dont' think they split the load between the two scr's I think it's more of a redundant thing, so if one fails, then the dimmer will still function as normal, as it's just a backup. Kinda like they work together but if one SCR fails the other can still handle the load on it's own, but I am not 100% sure of this.

Also on the road hog full boar they it has both a artnet and hog net out on the back. Also highend has experimented with putting microphones into the studio beams and studio spot 250's. The hardware was there, but it was never fully implemented on the software side. Also most if not all of robe's fixtures have a built in mic if i remember correctly.

Also on the road hog full boar they it has both a artnet and hog net out on the back. Also highend has experimented with putting microphones into the studio beams and studio spot 250's. The hardware was there, but it was never fully implemented on the software side. Also most if not all of robe's fixtures have a built in mic if i remember correctly.

I can see the mics in maybee the 250 lines but not the higher wattage fixtures. Also I'm kinda of curious about where you got you information about microphones in the studio beams and spots????

It seems that several of you have a lovely argument going on, but it is based on incomplete information.
First: If you go to the Elation website, you will notice that they very carefully seperate the products that they build and distribute through AMDJ and their professsional line. The elation line that is produced for AMDJ, is certainly of a "Bar/DJ" quality, and is serviced through AMDJ, who by the way doesn't make most if not all of what they sell. They buy from many manufactures and put their name on the product. Elation professional on the other hand is manufactured by Elation to their own design and has 24 hour service. It is very easy to confuse the two product lines, but they are very different with very different service. Chauvet, which is very similar to Elation is currently trying to make the same move to seperation of product lines as did Elation. New management has been hired from higher quality companies.
Having said the above, Elation has a few products in there lower lline that are pretty darn good. If you take apart one of their DMX distributors, you will find all of the same components by brand as in the very expensive lines of DMX iso/distributors.

As for your comparisons of dimmers. Modern solid state dimmers use one of three approaches that esentially are the same results. The first is to use two Slicon Controlled Rectifiers (SCR)s back to back. In this case one switches the positive going half of a sinewave and the other switches the negative going half of the sinewave. Second is a Triac. The Triac is two SCRs packaged together and does exactly what two SCRs do, only in a smaller package. In both of these cases, the devices are controlled by an Opto Triac. This little device is an 8 pin chip that has an LED packaged with a low power Triac and components to either detect "O" crossing of the sinewave or to be random. In the case of dimmers, it must be random. in the case of nondims or relays it is "O" crossing. The third type of dimmer circuit uses a Solid State relay (SSR) this is a much larger device that contains two SCRs the opto/triac and some additional components that make up a "Snubber". The snubber is used to protect the SSR when used with inductive circuits such as transformers (twinspins & low voltage fixtures such as the microellips).
The Elation dimmers that you were discussing are made by a company in China that has very little to do with Elation and are marketed under many companies with with a slight facelift. To mention a few, AMDJ, Elation, Chauvet, NSI, Matrix and Bulb America to name the ones that I know of. As a learning exercise go to the Bulb America website and check out the dimmers that they sell. There will be many different brand names, but all the same chinese manufacture. Probably, but just a guess, the same company that manufactures the 48 channel console sold by ELation, AMDJ, Chauvet and several others.
These products are ok if you don't abuse them, but don't expect any service if they fail.
End the argument and educate yourselves on the subjects.

There are a few products with an Elation badge on them, but are distributed through AMDJ, meaning not really Elation products. Hence the reason they are on both the AMDJ site and Elation site, though sometimes just the AMDJ site. They are, like dramatech stated, re-badges of a Chinese product.

I was working on some studio spots and beams one day, and i had to replace the front panel board. There was a thing that looked like a mic attached to it, and then i noticed there was a decimal on the led display that would flash to any audio, such as me tapping on the case of the light. Other than that i would have never known.

I was working on some studio spots and beams one day, and i had to replace the front panel board. There was a thing that looked like a mic attached to it, and then i noticed there was a decimal on the led display that would flash to any audio, such as me tapping on the case of the light. Other than that i would have never known.

So if you played music it would flash a decimal in the LED screen to the beat??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerraAva View Post
They are, like dramatech stated, re-badges of a Chinese product.
Oh, you mean like the highly successful Impression!

Impression is made in Germany, not China.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back