High End Showgun

DarSax

Anyone else seen the new video for this thing? You can find it here if you haven't seen it already. And if you haven't, you should.

This thing looks pretty cool, all things considered. From what I can tell as a largely inexperienced uneducated high school technician, HES isn't right now trying to compete with manufacturers such as Martin, Robe and Vari-Lite by updating the Studio Spot (though they did come out with the CMY) and is instead relying on the innovation of the DL.2 and now, the Showgun.

Now I don't have knowledge of these lights as much as I know ship does, but am I correct in saying that the Showgun is basically a beam projector? It doesn't have the beam spread of any other light I've seen (besides Syncrolites?), and from the video, it looks like its point is to project an even, straight beam of light. Aerial city.

Personally, I think that's an amazing use that will find its niche almost immediately. Having only a couple of these fixtures won't have a huge effect, but having just five or more in a row, and you're talking some unbelievable aerial beam sweeping effects.

Then the second thing I noticed was the razzle-dazzle. I can't think of any reason, really, to have that ring of lights (LEDs? They looked like they were mixing colors) around the beam. When the camera had a close-up shot they had some nice contrasting color action, but I'd imagine anywhere 20ft or more away, and the blinding power of the beam makes them all but useless (And in an event, I doubt they'd be powerful enough to do anything if the main beam is off). As far as the other razzle-dazzle, the rest of the fixture is, in a word, stylish. Metallic-sided, with glowing yellow symbols and what looks like a small LED readout display, looks like HES is trying to come out with a corvette of a fixture. Still, though, I'd think that it'd stand out against the matte black that comprises pretty much the rest of the intelligent fixture world (Assuming, of course, that HES is going to market it as metallic, instead of just having the prototype looking like that).

Wrapping up this overly long review-of-sorts of a fixture I've only seen once in a movie, the lens really intrigues me. Was I the only one who thought it looked like brushed metal, only to have a beam come out of it? Those are some optics I'd be curious in seeing.

Anyways, that's my novel on the subject. Your thoughts?

Okay, okay. In my defense, in that ENTIRE THREAD. The ENTIRE THREAD!!! The word "Showgun" is NEVER MENTIONED.

(I hate my life)

Okay, okay. In my defense, in that ENTIRE THREAD. The ENTIRE THREAD!!! The word "Showgun" is NEVER MENTIONED.
(I hate my life)

Hate to break it to you, but if you do a search for "showgun" the old thread does come up.

Just for reference...it took me ten minutes of different search terms to find it, because the word "showgun" wasn't in it until Radman put it there. So, not your fault, I just had to throw the other thread in there.

Ok, makes I posted after Radman, but it is interesting to note that the search feature does not pick up the fact that "showgun" is in the URL in the first post of that thread.

It has forward slashes on either side of it, so I guess that it isn't recognized as a discreet string in the search.

So basically, I'm not as big of an idiot as you all try to make me seem. Cheers :)

Always glad to provide insecurity and feelings of lost brain cells for short periods of time at regularly scheduled intervals. Please contact dr. thoughtdeath for your next appointment.

Always glad to provide insecurity and feelings of lost brain cells for short periods of time at regularly scheduled intervals. Please contact dr. thoughtdeath for your next appointment.
:twisted: Now that's funny! I don't care who you are.

What's going on with this thread?

Too many tech rehearsals this week?

yes, more than likely. I think the light is inginuitive. High End said "ok, we can't make an LED mover bright enough, we know that, but lets throw some LEDs onto an existing mover and give a little more splash." When the unit is cranking at full, of course the output from the LEDs won't have an effect on the stage...but I can see some pretty cool effects or transitions being created with those LEDs. Not to mention highlighting the movement of the fixture in the air without actually throwing any light on the stage. It also gives a nice halo effect arround the exisiting beam--could create some cool color mixing or color morphing effects throughout the length of the beam. A beam of light that changes color depending on how far out from the fixture it is??? COOL!

this is a different video than the one i have seen before. It has a tube color mixing system. Thats why the beam changes colors the way it does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back