High School does Alien as a play

They sold tickets for 5$. The performances is over and they won’t do another showing.

I bet after all the viral blows over the Mouse will get their cut and crap will be got. Their PR team prolly knew the day if not days before that they did it because word travels fast on the internet.

They probably found out after. What really gets me is that there are amazing works done around the country all the time, but a fan based ripoff is what gets the attention.

This also popped up on my FB this morning.

Maybe this is why this didn’t go in guns blazing.

8ECB3DC2-C319-4395-9B90-AF7CC8B7D335.png

Well, there you have it, folks. I say good for them, let 'em have this. "Everybody gets one."-Spider Man

And thus begins the age of ripoffs. This doesn't hurt the big corporations, but it will definitely hurt the smaller productions.

I still wouldn't be surprised if Disney issued some kind of soft warning letter to them. Copyrights are use-it-or-lose-it. If they let this slide, it will be used against them in other infringement cases on the Alien IP.

I still wouldn't be surprised if Disney issued some kind of soft warning letter to them. Copyrights are use-it-or-lose-it. If they let this slide, it will be used against them in other infringement cases on the Alien IP.

In the US, at least, copyrights have no such requirement, broadly speaking. It might perhaps enter into the discussion of damages in other cases, but not whether infringement occurs or not.

A more interesting question might be exactly whose rights were being infringed. Clearly Disney would hold the copyrights to the film clips used, but it's hardly obvious to me that they (and not, say, the writers of the screenplay) would hold grand rights to stage adaptations of the screenplay. Similarly, the grand rights to the music and maybe to the soundtrack recording may be held by someone else. Obtaining all the required clearances to make a legal, non-infringing stage adaptation could well be a very daunting task indeed...but of course that's no reason to ignore them.

In the US, at least, copyrights have no such requirement, broadly speaking. It might perhaps enter into the discussion of damages in other cases, but not whether infringement occurs or not.

A more interesting question might be exactly whose rights were being infringed. Clearly Disney would hold the copyrights to the film clips used, but it's hardly obvious to me that they (and not, say, the writers of the screenplay) would hold grand rights to stage adaptations of the screenplay. Similarly, the grand rights to the music and maybe to the soundtrack recording may be held by someone else. Obtaining all the required clearances to make a legal, non-infringing stage adaptation could well be a very daunting task indeed...but of course that's no reason to ignore them.

Not to mention the set, costume, and prop designs. I find it doubly disturbing that Ridley Scott says that he wants to fund an encore performance.

Not to mention the set, costume, and prop designs. I find it doubly disturbing that Ridley Scott says that he wants to fund an encore performance.

I think it was from an intrigue point of view. But on the opposite side of legal they are like this is a slam dunk.

Has anyone seen anything from Disney/Fox and their opinion on this? I have only seen stuff from Ridley Scott and Sigourney Weaver (who are not official representatives).

Has anyone seen anything from Disney/Fox and their opinion on this? I have only seen stuff from Ridley Scott and Sigourney Weaver (who are not official representatives).

Give The Mouse a couple years to compose the music and it'll be on Broadway as the follow up to Lion King... with Julie Taymor as the alien.

I expect the rightsholders went on vacation unexpectedly in the Bahamas when the news broke, so they could avoid having to be a$$holes in public. :)

I expect the rightsholders went on vacation unexpectedly in the Bahamas when the news broke, so they could avoid having to be a$$holes in public. :)
I heard Ja Rule is still interested in putting on a festival.... just sayin' :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back