High school plays - what shows are you doing and have you done?

Re: High school plays - what shows are you doing and havMe you done?

My school did Beauty and the Beast last year, and this year we are doing Les Miserables.

Goes without saying, but great show! We did Les Mis last November. Do you have the full blown or school version?

Unfortunately, you probably won't receive an answer on that one. The user posted that three years ago and hasn't really been active since then.

Has anyone else done this show or seen it in an educational setting?

High School Plays:
Phantom of The Opera
Dracula
West Side Story
Break A Leg
Les Miserable HS (building now opens spring 2013)

Other production:
Scrooge
Little Shop Of Horrors
Fiddler on the Roof
8161-high-school-plays-what-shows-you-doing-have-you-done-dsc_0147.jpg
8162-high-school-plays-what-shows-you-doing-have-you-done-dsc_0124.jpg

8163-high-school-plays-what-shows-you-doing-have-you-done-phantom-174-.jpg
8164-high-school-plays-what-shows-you-doing-have-you-done-phantom-175-.jpg

8165-high-school-plays-what-shows-you-doing-have-you-done-phantom-198-.jpg
8166-high-school-plays-what-shows-you-doing-have-you-done-phantom-611-.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0147.JPG
    DSC_0147.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 199
  • DSC_0124.JPG
    DSC_0124.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 215
  • Phantom (174).JPG
    Phantom (174).JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 231
  • Phantom (175).JPG
    Phantom (175).JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 227
  • Phantom (198).JPG
    Phantom (198).JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 222
  • Phantom (611).JPG
    Phantom (611).JPG
    187.9 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
Freshman year we did Steel Magnolias, Boys Next Door, Shadow Box, and Urinetown. Sophomore year we did Charlie Brown, Crimes of the Heart, Ruby's Story, and Sweeney Todd. Junior year we did Rabbit Hole, Curious Savage, And They Dance Real Slow in Jackson, August: Osage County, and Putnam. This year we've done Sylvia, Brighton Beach Memoirs, and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. Auditions for God of Carnage are coming up and they haven't announced the last play or musical yet. Also, every December we do a series of 3-4 ~30 minute plays written and directed by students. For a high school, we stay pretty busy...

The High school my kids went to did/are doing 'Dead Man Walking', 'Chicago', and 'Urinetown' as their season.

In the fall we did, you guessed it, Arsenic and Old Lace. It was new to us and a lot of fun. But we are currently working on one that to our knowledge hasn't been done in some time, Irene. This one is much different from what we are used to. Most of our team have grown accustomed to building impressive sets, but there are too many varying scenes for that to be possible. So we are doing mostly back drops, which is difficult because most of us are terrible painters. This play offers many female roles including the lead. It is a decent play as far as I can tell. However it is a musical...

In high school, I've been involved in:

Greek Mythology Olympiaganza
The Craving
Arabian Nights
Beauty and the Beast
Les Miserable
You Can't Take It With You
Crazy For You
Legally Blonde
August: Osage County
Women Of Lockerbie
Charley's Aunt
The Hobbit
Winnie The Pooh
Alice In Wonderland
To See The Stars
Radium Girls
Over The River And Through The Woods

And upcoming, we have Flowers For Algernon.

My old high school has just performed Lady Windemere's Fan by Oscar Wilde
Benefits:
  • Huge cast size - and with a lot of walk-ons, it doesn't matter if the kids can't act; they can still have a part!
  • Public domain script, so no fees for the rights.
  • A plot which has enough turns to keep the high school-aged audience interested without them also wondering what the heck is going on.
  • Period costumes and set were easy enough to pull from stock.
Downsides:
  • The show hinges on a few key characters, and a lot of the dialogue is in huge chunks; one forgotten line or bad casting choice and the evening gets a whole lot longer...
  • Billed as a comedy, but frankly very little to laugh at in this day and age. Or it could have just been the acting which was at fault.
  • More practical props than I've seen in a long time on a school stage - a pest if you have a cast who will spill the brandy, set themselves on fire instead of the letter and break the fan, although I'm sure all of this can lead to increased hilarity.

So, all up, a successful production, particularly for the cast and production team, who managed to churn it out at minimal cost and without an excess of rehearsals. Although it wasn't the most entertaining show the school has ever put on, nor the most challenging for the cast, the benefits in development of younger cast who played the minor characters and the ease of selling tickets made it an excellent standby for a year where you just need something now.

We just finished The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee. It was not a show that I had any experience with, had not ever seen it or built it. But man, once you get it in front of an audience it is a lot of fun!

Here is a video of the strike:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Spelling Bee Strike Time Lapse-HD 720p - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup -- typical strike: Three people doing the actual work, then once it's done, people finally show up! :wall:
LOL... is is by design actually. I can get more done with 3 capable dads than I can with 20 kids. The dads and I work on Sunday, break it all down correctly and with no damage to the flats and units, then the kids work on Monday putting it all away and doing clean up. When I previously used the actors and crew to strike the set, it always took three times as long, and I got nothing done myself because I was managing the students. In addition, they were not very delicate, and too much of the set was damaged when student broke it down. Just works better for me.

We just announced next year's season.
Cinderella Waltz
Annie Get Your Gun
One-Act TBA (possibly Biedermann And The Firebugs)
I need some summer, but can't wait to get started!

Graduating from HS in a week, for the past 4 years we have done (in order):

Children's Hour
Handprint Alley
Urinetown: The Musical
Dark of the Moon
Brighton Beach and Broadway Bound (festival)
Hors D'oeuvres
Ablaze
On The Town
Robin Hood
The Warning Label Festival: Water Down, ARM, and Verge Warnings

Handprint Alley, Ablaze and ARM were world premieres written and directed by Matthew Zrebski

Water Down and Verge Warnings ware also written by others members of Playwrights West

Users who are viewing this thread

Back