High school plays - what shows are you doing and have you done?

Hmm I am a high school student we have done
9 to 5
Legally Blond
Young Frankenstein
Darkside
Over the last couple of years. They are all musicals though, except darkside which is a radio brodcast that we adapted into a play.

Just did "You Can't Take It With You" at our high school. Very sweet show - lots of roles, which is a plus. BIG set, but that's ok! Students had a lot of fun with the craziness of the show.

This year, we're doing 2 musicals, one at Christmas, "Yes Virginia", and one in the spring, "Young Frankenstein". "Yes Virginia" will be interesting, since the director wants to use elementary schoolers as some of the leads. At my high school, the grade range is from 8th-12th, and I'm be a freshman this year. For "Young Frankenstein" the director wants to project the scenery, which neither of us have done before. Anyone have any tips?

Since my freshman year I have done:
Wicked
Frozen
Les Miserables
Rent
How I Learned To Drive
Our Town
Annie
SketchFest
Wonderland
Catch Me If You Can

And this year we're doing:
Addams Family
Big Fish
(Undecided Non-musical)
(Undecided Small cast Play)

Since my freshman year I have done:
Wicked
Frozen
Les Miserables
Rent
How I Learned To Drive
Our Town
Annie
SketchFest
Wonderland
Catch Me If You Can

And this year we're doing:
Addams Family
Big Fish
(Undecided Non-musical)
(Undecided Small cast Play)

Your high school did Wicked and Frozen? I didn't think they were selling the rights to those.

The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-In-the-Moon Marigolds by Paul Zindel. Not a big cast though but made up mostly of a female cast.

The Diary of Anne Frank.

In the past four years my high school has done:
The Kings Stag (it allows you to add improvisation and your own scenes because it's comedia del arte)
Much Ado about nothing (also allows you to change things up, because it's Shakespeare)
The Crucible (Many high schools are afraid to do this play because it's dark)
Fools (very funny, very little known)

Phantom
West sidestory
Les Miserables
Fiddler on the roof
12 angry jurors
Dacula
Steam punk mid summer nights dream.
Metamorphoses used silver mylar and water feature.20150126_100655.jpg
Seussical (April 2015)

While I was there, we did:

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Bye Bye Birdie
Peter Pan
Tarzan

This year I'm returning to run sound for Beauty and The Beast.

It's a shame the higher ups are so strict, really limits us to the Disney and Disney-like shows (it's a small, relatively conservative Christian school)

I have done and loved Just So. It can be staged in a variety of ways, with an adjustable cast. We significantly modified the production, and we had a large moving set piece in the shape of Africa on a compound rake that became multiple setting. We also built a trunk that did double duty as a boat, and operated on a wheelchair base. We also used shadow puppeteering and rear projection effects to create some settings/animals.
I would highly recommend, especially for a middle school. It could be done with a very low budget, and the music is not too hard, but also exposes people to a variety of styles.

So far, during my time at my high school we have done the following:
Play On! (Fall 2013)
Into the Woods (Spring 2014)
Shrek the Musical (Summer 2014)
The Crucible (Fall 2014)
Footloose (Spring 2015)
Next to Normal (Summer 2015) [Was supposed to be Chicago, but rights got revoked once a tour was announced]

This school year, it looks like we will be doing the following
Rumors (Fall 2015)
Les Misérables (Spring 2016)
[To Be Determined Musical] (Summer 2016)

Off the top of my head, we have done the following before I got into the High School, but our theater has been running for a long time, so we have done a lot of shows that I do not know of/remember:

Rent
Noises off
Annie
Hairspray
Avenue Q
Legally Blonde
Bye Bye Birdie
Little Shop of Horrors
Grease
Importance of Being Earnest
Little Women
Les Misérables

So far my favorite has been Next to Normal, but that show really isn't appropriate for anyone not in high school or older (Language, content, etc), so some schools may have trouble getting it approved, which is why we did it as our summer show since it doesn't have to go through such a rigorous approval process as it does during the school year.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back