High School Set Thoughts? Build&Secure

GavTape

Hey,

I am going back to my old high school on a contract for tier musical this year of "In The Heights."
I am looking at building 2-3 "stories" of set, only the ground and floor 2 would be stepped on, which I Will have our contractor build structure from the ground for.
However the extended flat upright panels for set view; would you recommend building from wooden frame and securing to steel ibeams above for lateral stability? Or metal frame and secure to beams still?
Ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Much of the same construction standards that apply to building any 2 or three story building still apply on stage or off. Load, support and stability will require a knowledgeable builder. If needed you may need to have a structural engineer review it.

This isn't THAT hard to do. Steel isn't needed for this set. Take a look at these shots. They show a solution which is fairly simple to build. You don't need to build a three story building. You need a platform about 7'-8' tall disguised as a building with other flats around it. That said, the fact that you are asking the question tells me you don't have much experience building sets. This isn't the kind of thing you can just guess. You need to do the math for how much load your structure can take. If you need help on safe construction techniques, take a look at books on how to build a free standing deck or porch for your home. The math is the same, just add fake walls around it and you are done.
proxy.php

proxy.php

We built a 2 story set for "The Game's Afoot" last fall. I found the math associated with building a deck to be useful, but they take the assumption that you'll be anchoring your deck into concrete and into the ground, or attaching it to a header on the side of a house. One of the things I found we needed to take into account was side loading and we had to brace accordingly. The trick was that it was an archway over a french door too, so the bracing had to be hidden behind the set, while still being functional.

A actor access ladder on the back, bolted to the deck and a stair on the downstage side helped tremendously. We used all wood in the design.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back