Loudspeakers High School sound System Issues

Hello,

My name is John, I have been doing sound for 6 years now.....

The high school recentlly put in a new sound system

4 Appogee Amps

1. Mains
2. Center
3.Subs
4. Monitors

In the back we have:

Allein and Heath GL2400 Seris 32 Channel Mixer
2 Shure Line mixers
2 wireless mics
Tascam tape and CD players

All ran through an Ashley Protea digital mixer

The issue is they gave us bi-Amped speakers instead of the set pf parreled ones.

So pretty much only the low ends are hooked up.

We do many concerts and things like so I NEED the high ends.

Does anyone have a quick fix for this?

Should I have the school get a crossover and a new amp or is there an easier way.
Please help

Thanks.

John

The high school recentlly put in a new sound system
That may be the critical point right there, did the school design and install the system themselves or did the school hire someone to design and install the system? If the problem really is using bi-amped mains in a system designed for full range speakers then that is a significant mistake and you want to put the onus to resolve it back on the responsible party. One one of the last things you want to do is start messing around with a new system and by doing so potentially relieve the responsible party from any associated responsibility or liability. Basically, if you play with it you may have a much more difficult time proving it was broken before you played with it.

It's almost impossible to know of there may be some 'quick fix' without first knowing more about the specific equipment, the system configuration, the processor (Ashly Protea) setup and so on. However, what really worries me is that if someone installed and/or accepted the system with only the low frequency drivers connected for the mains then I have to wonder about what other problems or issues might exist that you could inherit by trying to fix things yourself. Unless it really is some simple thing like an amp that got turned off then I would be very hesitant to do anything before at least trying to get the parties who got it to this point to take responsibility and fix it.

Can you draw us a diagram of how everything is currently hooked up? It should help us figure out what exactly is going on.

Apogee is still in business?
Yep, the were acquired by Bogen in 1999, but if it gives you some idea the last Press Relase on their web site is from February, 2005 and much of the site has not been updated since 2003 and 2004.

I'm wondering if there are real staff in the building who know more about this...or if the install isn't finished yet?
If "recently" means that the system was installed within the last year then it is rather likely that other issues or considerations may be involved. I can think of a number of scenarios that could have led to the current situation and a number of those might involve other parties or ongoing actions, so that indeed should be verified before doing anything. It may not even be someone in the building, it could be something at the district or even state level as well as that is often where such purchases and the related contracts would be handled. Sort of worst case but if there were a lawsuit, lien or open contract related to this and you made changes, that could cause a real mess.

If "recently" means very recently it could also be something as simple as the wrong speakers having been shipped and waiting for right models and/or the time to install them or, not knowing the speakers involved, a simple change in termination and or a switch setting needing to happen.

Schools are hard. Committees write big checks to put great "paper" systems in their schools. #1 concern to picking a contractor is .... who fixes problems. Who comes back when there is issues....and how idiotproof is this.

#1 find the installer and make sure it's installed/calibrated professionally

Schools are hard. Committees write big checks to put great "paper" systems in their schools. #1 concern to picking a contractor is .... who fixes problems. Who comes back when there is issues....and how idiotproof is this.

#1 find the installer and make sure it's installed/calibrated professionally
There are also usually processes and procedures defined for a Contract and not following them can make it difficult for everyone. So I would say that the first step is to find the appropriate contact within the school or school district that was responsible for the sound system and work through them, do not try to go direct to the Contractor unless you are the associated contact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back